HID availability

So, when the 9006 bulbs burn out. What will the replacement bulbs cost? Will it be the $750.00 or so?
Thanks

9006 is used on like a bazillion vehicles.
they cost $10 to $40 at walmart,depending on whether you want basic halogens or silverstar/nighthawk bulbs,and they will probably be available for the rest of our lives.

they just aren't HIDs :(

Ok, so what's the deal? Someone posts information and pics of the new headlight kits and it gets deleted?? This was the only usefull post about HIDs amongst many others full of pointless discussion and speculation. Is this information confidential untill someone affiliated with LVC can get their hands on these kits and start making a profit on LVC members?

Wow, your right... the pics are gone. But I must say, they looked "cheap", like for went for the lowest bidder.

and were back to where we started.........in backorder / not available.........i can only imagine how much those are gonna go for when my HID's do go out............go ford........ :mad:

I see the price on those are well over $600.00 The beauty of it is you're getting new housings as well.

Max, what is your price on these?

availability

Well here we go again!! I promised to keep you all advised here is another set back.....sorry....
I do not know what or where the "ebay" guy got the parts from but as you can see it is just not available to ford/lincoln dealers yet. The tentitive price was at $729.07 and the tentitive cost to lvc would be $524.93.
Now I may be premature in the pricing because of the sub supplier issues that could or would change pricing before they even ship any.
Max

Last edited:
And you wonder why ford is losing millions of dollars. People want HID's, so they come out with halogens. Losers!!!

And you wonder why ford is losing millions of dollars. People want HID's, so they come out with halogens. Losers!!!

although i totally understand what you are saying,you cant really expect ford to worry about headlights from 9-10 year old cars.it sucks but i would not expect them to spend any money to manufacture for older cars,i wish they would,but i dont expect ford or any other company to actually do that.

i would rather read in the paper that instead of redesigning new lights for a 1997 automobile,that they instead chose to keep 100 factory jobs that have otherwise been eliminated.

too bad our cars werent sold in quantities like the taurus or a corolla or something,those headlights are available for cheap

But its not ford doing the manufacturing, its Sylvania! I spoke with a rep, a few days ago while at a local advance auto parts store. They have a 2004 Light bult catalog, that showed a p/n for lincoln HID's. P/N HID-9500. The rep knew the part number right off the bat...."OH, that fits the lincolns". She said that ford had a contract for vehicle production run, but did not come back for a aftermarket contract. Therefore, no light bulbs.

Now what is easier, making a complete conversion kit back to halogens, or new HID bulbs?

But its not ford doing the manufacturing, its Sylvania! I spoke with a rep, a few days ago while at a local advance auto parts store. They have a 2004 Light bult catalog, that showed a p/n for lincoln HID's. P/N HID-9500. The rep knew the part number right off the bat...."OH, that fits the lincolns". She said that ford had a contract for vehicle production run, but did not come back for a aftermarket contract. Therefore, no light bulbs.

Now what is easier, making a complete conversion kit back to halogens, or new HID bulbs?

good point

My headlights on my 95 were garbage for the longest time, I ended up taking them out wet sanding and polishing the outside made it like new look wise and I actually washed out the inside of the headlight with some cleaner and water, it took out all the discoloration in the inside of the light and also cleaned up the metal peace inside the headlight the rust over time. Headlights are 10 times better with the factory bulbs, I was thinking though that metal deflector the blocks the bulb in the headlight If removed how much brighter would the headlights be? All this I did to my head lights cost me under 10 bucks for some wet sand paper, wax, and cleaner.

My headlights on my 95 were garbage for the longest time, I ended up taking them out wet sanding and polishing the outside made it like new look wise and I actually washed out the inside of the headlight with some cleaner and water, it took out all the discoloration in the inside of the light and also cleaned up the metal peace inside the headlight that rust over time. Headlights are 10 times better with the factory bulbs, I was thinking though that metal deflector that blocks the bulb in the headlight If removed how much brighter would the headlights be? All this I did to my head lights cost me under 10 bucks for some wet sand paper, wax, and cleaner.

Your headlights would be dimmer. That metal cover reflects light , that would normally not hit the reflector assembly. It also prevents blinding of other drivers.

Retrofit

I had just gone through the situation with realizing you could not get bulbs. I however was able to rewire the lights so it would take a standard Halogen 9005 Bulb. You basically need to find the 12 Volt DC Power wire that is coming from headlamp switch. This 12 Volt wire powers the Ballast and then a separate wire comes out which would typically go to your light. The solution is to find that 12 Volt wire, cut it and splice a new wire in. Run this wire to your new head lamp. you will need to buy a halogen bulb and the replacement receptical for the bulb with a wire pig tail. Just wire it up and you are done. Once i figured it out it took less than 20 minutes and i quite honestly done work on cars that much anymore.

You will need to glue the light onto the head lamp, or if you are looking for something more servicable you can get a thin piece of metal, cut it to the size of the old light fixture and drill some holes. Honestly due to the age of the car and i am going to be the last person to own it (not counting the junk yard), i just glued mine.

You will need to do both head lamps, if you dont (i didnt) you will need to still power the existing ballast for some reason even though the other headlamp has it's own power something inside there would not let the lamp come on.

Hope this helps... someone...

Good Luck
if you have questions you can email me at carlhasselbring@hotmail.com

I had just gone through the situation with realizing you could not get bulbs. I however was able to rewire the lights so it would take a standard Halogen 9005 Bulb. You basically need to find the 12 Volt DC Power wire that is coming from headlamp switch. This 12 Volt wire powers the Ballast and then a separate wire comes out which would typically go to your light. The solution is to find that 12 Volt wire, cut it and splice a new wire in. Run this wire to your new head lamp. you will need to buy a halogen bulb and the replacement receptical for the bulb with a wire pig tail. Just wire it up and you are done. Once i figured it out it took less than 20 minutes and i quite honestly done work on cars that much anymore.

You will need to glue the light onto the head lamp, or if you are looking for something more servicable you can get a thin piece of metal, cut it to the size of the old light fixture and drill some holes. Honestly due to the age of the car and i am going to be the last person to own it (not counting the junk yard), i just glued mine.

You will need to do both head lamps, if you dont (i didnt) you will need to still power the existing ballast for some reason even though the other headlamp has it's own power something inside there would not let the lamp come on.

Good Luck

I am pretty sure it is easier to just buy an aftermarket hid kit. Oh and this thread is from 2007.

Good Luck

before you send it to the junkyard give me your housings...

Members online

Back