HID availability

"one time replacement for HID lamps"

Yay!!!! They invented a bulb that will NEVER burn out!

Well honestly, the one time replacement thing seems like a "we are gonna swap out the HID bulb, once, per side, for free".... probably not, but if so, I suggest that people buy up some used ones and swap those suckers in! lol

Hi Max!!!

Thanks for info!! What a Hottie!!

I'm sure life is treating you and yours great!

I'll be waiting for more!

Smooches!

Debi

p.s. - Thanks so much, my cobras are HOT!!!!

hey max... any updated info on the ford replacement kits? my passengers side is yellow now. thanks

well the pricing is set and it does look like a complete kit with HALOGEN bulbs.

List price is going to be $729.07. I am still working on LVC cost, if anyone wants to convert back to halogens that is!! Shipping is set for 5/25 now and they are still waiting on their (ford) first shipment. Only 18 on back order in the whole system so I think it is a wait and see what happens type of thing.
Max

The HID's are one of the main features of the gen 2 Mark VIII's, I will convert to a crappy HID conversion kit off ebay before switching back to Halogens. What is Ford thinking...

The HID's are one of the main features of the gen 2 Mark VIII's, I will convert to a crappy HID conversion kit off ebay before switching back to Halogens. What is Ford thinking...

While I agree, you are looking the the smaller picture. Lets assume these halogen housings use a standard halogen bulb, one readily available. I think thats a safe assumption unless Ford wants to make the same mistake twice.

This means that for $800 bucks you get new housings, I sure hope both, that take a standard halogen bulb.

Do you know what that means? The sky is the limit now to convert these to HID with the many "standard based" kits out there.

Not saying its an option for everyone, but for under a grand you can get a more versatile, cheaper, easier to replace HID setup.

Or you can get those kits of eBay with re-based HIDs - which at some point the re-based bulb will not be available because like the original HIDs, its non-standard and unique. Remember, our original OEM HID bulbs from Ford sold for $50 each!

Not saying its an option for everyone, but for under a grand you can get a more versatile, cheaper, easier to replace HID setup.

Or you can get those kits of eBay with re-based HIDs - which at some point the re-based bulb will not be available because like the original HIDs, its non-standard and unique. Remember, our original OEM HID bulbs from Ford sold for $50 each!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that putting aftermarket HID kits into halogen housings is a good idea? wouldn't that cause problems with glare all over the place, like you see with all those ricers with cheap HID kits? I thought the only right way to fit HID into a halogen housing is to do a proper projector setup, which would require a lot of custom fabrication to fit the projectors in the housings, and at that point, it doesn't matter much if the housing was originally halogen or hid anyway. Good projectors, bulbs, ballasts, and fabrication will probably cost a lot, too. Not to mention that this kit from Ford will cost more than two brand new gen2 HID housings, which can be fitted with one of the ebay kits for a few hundred, which will be mostly plug and play, without any fab work, and no glare.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that putting aftermarket HID kits into halogen housings is a good idea? wouldn't that cause problems with glare all over the place, like you see with all those ricers with cheap HID kits? I thought the only right way to fit HID into a halogen housing is to do a proper projector setup, which would require a lot of custom fabrication to fit the projectors in the housings, and at that point, it doesn't matter much if the housing was originally halogen or hid anyway. Good projectors, bulbs, ballasts, and fabrication will probably cost a lot, too. Not to mention that this kit from Ford will cost more than two brand new gen2 HID housings, which can be fitted with one of the ebay kits for a few hundred, which will be mostly plug and play, without any fab work, and no glare.

Ok, I will correct you. :) HID into halogen is ok. Light output is reduced a bit but there is NO glare since the halogen lens usually refracts the light output. If you are seeing glare, they are most likely NOT using factory housings and they are using them with an improper bulb - as you know, ricers often replace ANYTHING that bolts on with a phillips screw driver.

Last I checked, a Gen II housing does NOT include HIDS and still costs about $350. This new Ford kit is both sides so about the same price really. But you clearly missing the point - the eBay crap kits are a NON PRODUCTION re-based bulb! DO you want to be in the same boat in three years when they burn out? It is know these after-market, inexpensive HIDs dont last long - add a re-base to it and they are harder to find. Or get a more readily averrable HID kit and you are set, they burn out - so what, cheap and easy to find.

By the way, have you looked at a Mark VIII HID housing, both have clear lenses for the halogen high beam, yet the pattern is fine. The housings are one factor and its best to have the right parts for the right job - in which case the eBay kits are bad anyway since they dont have the right focal point.... so yes, they glare.

I take it that this only applies to GEN 2 HID owners?

So the solution was simply to offer halogen replacements for both? So GEN 1s still have the crappy, poorly designed, overheating GEN 1 housing that we have upgraded from, at significant cost?

What a disappointment. I hope Ford is taking better care of their new owners than they did to the owners in through the 90s.

Calabrio, who knows. Yes, these new kits are for Gen II. Who knows, maybe Gen 1 HIDs are being re-designed.

Max, have you looked up the part numbers for Gen 1 HID stuff at all?

unity

The 96 parts are no longer serviced. The notation say 250 cars were made with the hid's so they do not service them anymore. I guess you would have to buy the gen 1 headlights with halogen bulbs and convert on your own. about 425.00 LVC cost per pair. if you purchased 2 new empty(no bulbs) gen 2 hid h/lmps it would set you back 450.00 lvc cost. There are no part numbers for the headlight for the new kits yet, just the headlights not the kits. The new kit must use an old design bulb in a new designed envelope where the bulb plugs in. the front must be the same. we have to wait and see what arrives in a week or two.
Max

..The 96 parts are no longer serviced. The notation say 250 cars were made with the hid's so they do not service them anymore...
Max
Hummm that is the first time I have seen a number put to the 96 LSC's...think there really could have only been 250?..

Thanks for the info on the HIDs MAXX and thanks for the quotes last week also! Your the best!

Smooches!

MsM8

If anyone does this conversion could they please post pictures after the install, some night shots of bulb brightness would be nice too. I really don't want to loose the brightness of the HID's. I wrecked my 96 MK8 because of the dim halogens. But I am also starting to experience the cloudy lenses.

Thanks Alot

Ok, I will correct you. :) HID into halogen is ok. Light output is reduced a bit but there is NO glare since the halogen lens usually refracts the light output.

wrong. HIDs into halogen housings do cause a glare because of the different location and direction of the light source.

3000gt with 4300k kit in stock halogen projectors..

hidkit.gif

HIDs in proper HID projectors from an acura TSX

garageshot.gif

same car before and after putting TSX projectors in a stock 3000gt housing

Those are stupid picture taken at DIFFERENT distances pointing to DIFFERENT sources, you can NOT compare those two... and we are talking about Mark VIII, not rice.

Those are stupid picture taken at DIFFERENT distances pointing to DIFFERENT sources, you can NOT compare those two... and we are talking about Mark VIII, not rice.

different distance or not you cant argue the cutoff. something the mk8 doesnt have at all. HIDs or not.

ill be more than obliged to show you my ricey taillights too. ill just have to remember to flip my mirror up so the glare from your HIDs doesnt blind me

Max I have a gen 1. What can I do? I will pay whatever. pm me please

Doc

headlights

Well I know you were expecting this but ford has pushed back the replacement headlights for the gen 2 hid's.....now estimated to be available mid to end of july. Also gen 1 owners will be able to buy the side markers again about the same time and the pricing looks the same as last year....I'm sure that will change by the time they are available.
Doc Check you in box
Max

Poor Gen !'s :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: Have to be A garage queen so they last longer or Daytime driving only Thanks for the Lights again Jeremi !!:D

So, when the 9006 bulbs burn out. What will the replacement bulbs cost? Will it be the $750.00 or so?
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back