Help!!! Solenoid (transmission) Issue!!!

Alex theres gotta be someone on here that can tell us exactly what has to be changed......Jamie? How much would Jamie charge to do this swap? Mount it on a trailer and take it to him.

Dude, what trailer? My friend Danny (the guy you met) has a tow truck but even him being my frend I'd have to pay him a ****load of money to take my car up there! Taking my car far unfortunately is out of the question.

This is it. The first pic is the current pin setting on the car now. It (on the car harness) has to be pinned to match the 2nd pic. The TCC solenoid has to be swapped from the old tranny to the 98 and the MLPS.

9297.gif

9805.gif

Which is the TCC solenoid & What is that MLPS?

Also as an example of the re-pinning on your current harness on "the car", pins 1 & 2 will need to be placed so that they will make contact with the 98 mounted harness on pins 7 & 8. Also, the 98 trans only gets one positive power wire pinned to the 98 harness. Right now on your current plug, you have 3 positives but you'll only use one of them and the other two positives are built in already inside the 98. The wires you have left over, which I think are two or three can be clipped and heat shrinked and then taped off and tucked away. The article explains all of that about how you can do it.

TCC solenoid

3-4solenoid.jpg

MLPS is on the outside of the trans, mounted to the side. I think 2 bolts holds it on too.

Dude you have been helping me with my BS since day one & for that I thank you!

Also as an example of the re-pinning on your current harness on "the car", pins 1 & 2 will need to be placed so that they will make contact with the 98 mounted harness on pins 7 & 8. Also, the 98 trans only gets one positive power wire pinned to the 98 harness. Right now on your current plug, you have 3 positives but you'll only use one of them and the other two positives are built in already inside the 98. The wires you have left over, which I think are two or three can be clipped and heat shrinked and then taped off and tucked away. The article explains all of that about how you can do it.

Since the beginning of this thread you have made things very clear for me so I think between tomorrow & Friday I'll be digging into both transmissions & getting it done then all I have to do is take the car to a tranny shop for the swap. It's very uncomfortable & time consuming otherwise I'd do the swap myself.

Ok, today I took out the solenoid from my 93 tranny & swapped it with the 98. They looked identical but the brackets that hold the screws were a little different. Other than that it was a direct bolt-on. I only had time to do that as I have some family issues to attend to tonight. Tomorrow morning I will swap the MLPS & possibly start the re-pinning process. I may not do this tomorrow as I have a busy weekend ahead & I'd prefer to do it in a calm atmosphere. I don't want the chance of making any mistakes... Notice how patient I am being with this transmission. It's been 3 weeks that Ive been at it but I prefer to do it slow but get it right! It pays off for the Lincoln to be my 2nd vehicle. If it was my daily driver I'd be in a HUGE bind!
Thanks!

Nothing wrong with taking your time. I'm ordering the seals and gaskets for the 93 and the 98 now and getting both of them ready. Still not sure if I'm going with the 93 first. I think I'll go with the 98 and let the 93 set on standby or sell it after it's J-Modded with new seals.

Well, Maxx is gone for the day but I will be calling him first thing in the morning. I'm putting the 98 tranny in next weekend and a fuel tank and the X pipe.

Niiiiiiice.... I was planning on that X-pipe when I lost my job. So the X-pipe is a luxury right now. Worst yet is that one of my Flowmasters has gone hollow inside so it sounds horrible...Well, maybe not that bad but you know what I mean. Right now I'll just be happy getting the car back on the road. I miss driving it. It's been 3 weeks & I know it'll be a bit until I can drive it again so it'll be a month before I can feel that power again!

After such a looooooong overdue time it's finally happening. This Friday my transmission should come down. It's been 5 weeks (4 since I jacked it up) since the car's been sitting & I really can't wait to drive it again. The swap will occur this weekend!

After such a looooooong overdue time it's finally happening. This Friday my transmission should come down. It's been 5 weeks (4 since I jacked it up) since the car's been sitting & I really can't wait to drive it again. The swap will occur this weekend!

Looks like me and you are going at this at the same time. My parts for the 98 are coming in tomorrow, well, today really and this weekend, that 94 junk is hitting the road. Of course I'm going to get the updated accumulator and springs out first and the TCC solenoid.

The front and rear seals and 2 gaskets for the 98 to be J-Modded will be here today so I have to get that done first. I had a bad bogging issue going on for the past few days and finally replaced the TPS and now it's fixed. Now I can move on to getting the shuddermission out.

Well, if you see the news I'm sure you may have seen how South Florida was POUNDED with rain. I swear man... as if something doesn't want me to repair this car. I'm sick of seeing it on jack stands & I'm hoping before Monday I'm driving the car. I hope tomorrow we have better weather.

I'm going with it normal like it is. I figure if it's a 50,000 mile transmission I should be ok. I dropped the car from the jack stands yesterday, openned the ignition to allow the compressor to run & my back end won't come up AGAIN! I figure I probably don't have more than a few months left with the car since I have yet to find a job & it's becoming a HUGE money pit. So no J-modding for me.

I'm going with it normal like it is. I figure if it's a 50,000 mile transmission I should be ok. I dropped the car from the jack stands yesterday, openned the ignition to allow the compressor to run & my back end won't come up AGAIN! I figure I probably don't have more than a few months left with the car since I have yet to find a job & it's becoming a HUGE money pit. So no J-modding for me.

If it helps any, the front and rear seals and the 2 gaskets needed for the J-Mod were only $27.00 from Max. You don't need seals most likely and I don't know that I did, I just wanted to make sure I had new ones but they were $8 something each. All you need are the 2 gaskets at less than $2.00 each + shipping from Max. In total if you can J-Mod the trans yourself, you're looking at less than $11.00 if you have a drill and bits. As for the valve body bolts needing to be torqued to 90 inch pounds, a normal torque wrench can be used by dividing 90 into 12, which would be 7.5 ft. pounds (compliments of Frogman) and taking your time and doing it right the first time. I might get started on mine tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know if it's something simple or not. I'm sure it is.

I have a feeling it's a bit more complicated than what I'm looking to do right now. The reason I don't want to continue doing things o the car is because something is always wrong with it. I bought it knowing that Mark VIII's are money pits but I like a car that I can enjoy even if not everything is working at 100% such as a broken window motor or a door ajar alert on the dash but something that incapacitates the car really get's to me & since I bought the car I've had the car sitting more than Ive been driving it. It's sat due to the front airbags not working then the rear airbags, then the air compressor, then the transmission & now the rear airbags again together with the transmission & I'm unemployed. It sucks when I leave the house in my truck & I see the car just sitting there. I've lost all interest in it. In order to get that car going correctly I have to spend some cash in it. My entire family wants me to get rid of it & use the money wisely.
To make matters worst the guy that's supposed to help me drop the tranny has sold me out. Doesn't look like he wants to do the job.

I'll most likely be doing mine alone also. When you were typing this, I was in the garage doing the J-Mod and I got it done. Well, I should say that 90% of it is done. I have to torque the bolts down and then make sure I swap out the right inner parts (sensors & solenoids) or whatever before it's ready to go in.

The J-Mod is very intimidating on paper but once you get in there, all I had to do was take my time. It helped out a lot with the tranny being right there if front of me upside down. After I drilled the separator plate, I thought to myself that the holed I had just drilled out bigger just didn't seem like much. All it took was a 7/64 bit and a 3/32 bit and that's it. I would do it again and now I know how to do it without reading anything.

As for taking my trans out and installing this one, I'm alone too and I can already tell that it ain't gonna be no fun at all. I'm still confused about an older TCC solenoid going in the 98 because the 98 has that black power band that goes across from one side to the other and I don't remember that in my 94 and I know my 94 TCC solenoid didn't plug in this way. The MLPS is no problem but I just need to make sure about everything on the inside being swapped. I'm on hold right now until I find out.

I know what you mean about always throwing money at the car. I hope this is the last thing I have to do too. If I can drive it and keep it in drive without shudder or going dead at a stop sign because it wants to stick in 3rd gear (when it's cold), I'll be happy. If I done the J-Mod right this morning and everything else goes right, that car should have a hell of a 2nd gear. I gotta start looking now at what really has to be swapped out on the inside before I put the pan back on and torque any bolts down on the valve body. Re-pinning the harness is going to be easy compared to everything else I have done so far.

Alex im sorry to hear about your car...i know how that must feel to just see it sitting there. If you need my help let me know i can help you out on saturdays...im off those days.

http://sites.google.com/site/krackerskrazy8s/94-to-98-tranny-swap

This is what I'm going to do since I'm already into it this deep. It seems that no one has any correct info about what to change out in the Mark but more than enough about Crown Vics.

I have read Kracker's swap out before but thought it seemed to be too much but after doing the J-Mod on the 98, what he has done here isn't bad at all. Also, KK verified on the phone with me last night that the electrical swap that Kracker done is still going strong. Now I don't know if I J-Modded the 98 for nothing or not lol. I noticed some valve body switching or something going on but haven't really read it good yet.

Alex im sorry to hear about your car...i know how that must feel to just see it sitting there. If you need my help let me know i can help you out on saturdays...im off those days.

Dude, trust me, it's been a while since I thought about that but bro, I can't bother you like this. You have very little time with your little girl as it is. There's no way in hell I'm taking away the only day you can dedicate to her.

http://sites.google.com/site/krackerskrazy8s/94-to-98-tranny-swap

This is what I'm going to do since I'm already into it this deep. It seems that no one has any correct info about what to change out in the Mark but more than enough about Crown Vics.

I have read Kracker's swap out before but thought it seemed to be too much but after doing the J-Mod on the 98, what he has done here isn't bad at all. Also, KK verified on the phone with me last night that the electrical swap that Kracker done is still going strong. Now I don't know if I J-Modded the 98 for nothing or not lol. I noticed some valve body switching or something going on but haven't really read it good yet.

I saw his last week & It caught my attention however maybe it's because I'm getting older but I don't have the patience for all this BS involved in bringing down the transmission & I'm sooooooooo afraid that after the entire work is completed I end up with a non-functional tranny. That's going to suck big time.

I saw his last week & It caught my attention however maybe it's because I'm getting older but I don't have the patience for all this BS involved in bringing down the transmission & I'm sooooooooo afraid that after the entire work is completed I end up with a non-functional tranny. That's going to suck big time.

I have that same thought but I got it all completed. Changing the electrical internals and wiring harness was so simple. I could set and do one now (if out of the car like this one) in less than an hour. That's doing the J-Mod and internal electrical part swap, including the main wiring harness. I just took the parts out of the good 93 trans I had in the garage and even swapped the electrical parts from the 98 over into the 93. Now, removing mine and putting this one in is gonna be fun. All I need to do is go buy a filter for the 98 trans and put it on and get the pan back on it. I'll have it swapped out by this weekend and then going to get the exhaust done. But yes, I have the same worry as you. Getting it all done and then finding out it don't work. That would suck in a bad way.

I have that same thought but I got it all completed. Changing the electrical internals and wiring harness was so simple. I could set and do one now (if out of the car like this one) in less than an hour. That's doing the J-Mod and internal electrical part swap, including the main wiring harness. I just took the parts out of the good 93 trans I had in the garage and even swapped the electrical parts from the 98 over into the 93. Now, removing mine and putting this one in is gonna be fun. All I need to do is go buy a filter for the 98 trans and put it on and get the pan back on it. I'll have it swapped out by this weekend and then going to get the exhaust done. But yes, I have the same worry as you. Getting it all done and then finding out it don't work. That would suck in a bad way.

The worst part about all this is that my next door neighbor, the mechanic, seems to push this further & further like he doesn't want to get involved. I'm not selling this car as is. I'll get crap for it so I need to fix it. I'm stuck in a rut. As soon as i fix the car I'm selling it or trading it for a pop up camper that I can use to relax, not sweat over, lol.

The worst part about all this is that my next door neighbor, the mechanic, seems to push this further & further like he doesn't want to get involved. I'm not selling this car as is. I'll get crap for it so I need to fix it. I'm stuck in a rut. As soon as i fix the car I'm selling it or trading it for a pop up camper that I can use to relax, not sweat over, lol.

If you get ready to sell it, PM me the round about price you want for it. If it sounds good, I'll fly down and pick it up, if you think it will get me back to North AL.

Members online

Back