Help!!! Solenoid (transmission) Issue!!!

UltimateSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Miami, FL(Home of the rust free MARK VIII's
PLEASE HELP! Ok guys most of you saw my former thread where I purchased a 1998 tranny. I have it sitting on the floor in my back yard, now, before I bring down my 1993 tranny & make a mess I decided to take off the pan on it, i'd like to fix the slipping I have on it. I don't have any issues with 3rd & 4th gears. I know I was told on several occasions right here on this site that the issue here is the 1-2 solenoid. Attached is a picture of my transmission.

Could someone point out the 1-2 solenoid to me?

Also, very important, are they they same exact solenoids that are in my 1998 tranny that I have sitting on the floor? If so I can take the ones off my 1998 tranny so I can fix the 1993 tranny & get it going. Later on I'll buy new ones for the 1998 tranny so that I have that tranny there ready to go for the future! Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS GUYS!

101_1143sm.jpg

piston.gif

See the round spot? With a C-clamp in place, remove the retainer clip and under there you will find the 1-2 accumulator. 2 springs and one piston. If you buy new ones, one is blue and the other will be purple. The piston you have inside there now most likely has very very worn sides and you might even find a broke spring.

3-4solenoid.jpg

This is the 3-4 shift solenoid. Usually if it goes bad, you will not have OD after the car warms up. It will start to slip out of OD and into 3rd if this part goes bad or it did with me back in 2005. I changed mine and I have had OD since. Both of the parts pictured are right at $60 each.

Dude, I owe you big time. I almost went & got he 3-4 solenoid when I don't need it. 3 & 4 are working fine. Plus, to be honest with you I don't mind getting under the car again if that solenoid goes bad. Eventually I'll be installing the 98 tranny anyway. I just want to get this transmission going again so that I can use it until I'm employed again & I can afford taking the car to the transmission shop for a professional installation. I really don't want to get involved with the disassembling of the drive shaft, exhaust, etc...

Ok, one thing I forgot to mention, I don't think I'll have an issue with the 3rd & 4rth gears since they seem just fine. SO does the O/D. When my problem began I was coming home from a long trip. I was 30 miles from home. WHen I stopped at the first street light after about 8 miles of travel, the car was literally like on neutral. I rev'd the car up to about 5,000 RPM's & it started moving slowly until it reached about 30 mph (3,800 - 4,300 rpm's) & 3rd gear kicked in perfectly then ditto with 4th gear. I hit the expressway & it was smooth sailing. Once I got off the expressway on the exit to my house, i had to come to a complete stop to make a right. As soon as I hot the gas again, NEUTRAL until about 5,000 rpms, it slowly started moving. I was 4 blocks from home so there was no way i'd reach enough speed to hit 3rd gear. My entire way home, about a mile was me moving at 10-15 mph, reving the car up to 4,500 rpm's. until a block away from home it wouldn't move anymore. I turned the car around, hit reverse & made it home in reverse. I know, not as funny as u think. Anyway, so that's my story. 3rd & 4th work fine, it's 1st & 2nd that don't move the car at all.

Well, I have never had that problem before so I can't say for sure that if you change the 1-2 accumulator and springs, that it's going to fix it. I think there are also 2-3 shift accumulators, someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong. It could be any number of things keeping you out of first gear. TC, 1-2 piston and springs ect. I do know for a fact though that the 3-4 shift solenoid was bad on mine in 2005 and I bought a new one and I think it was $55.00 from an old timey parts store. The man had been opened for many many years until the box stores ran him out of business. I had that part in and plugged up, pan back on, fluid in and had OD again within the hour and it has not went out on me since then. Now I have shudder real bad. The whole transmission is just ready to piss on me, that's all I know and I gotta hurry and do the same thing you're doing. My son was sick from Monday morning with a fever and Wed I took him to the doctor because it was the only symptom he had. I found out when I got in a different city that he has pneumonia in his lungs and he had to be admitted into the hospital for 2 full days and 2 full nights. Now he's well and doing good. So, I can now resume on the transmission issue. Mine was slipping coming down the HWY on the way back this morning and it scared me. This weekend I have to do something with either the 93 tranny I have that's good to go or do up the 98 and be done with it for good hopefully.

Wow dude glad to hear your son is doing better. At least it wasn't anything worst. Dude, I'm truly hoping that this accumulator solves the problem. If this doesn't solve it, I can always pull that old tranny & sell it for parts. Well, tomorrow will prove to be D day for me. I hope I can buy that 1-2 accumulator at a local auto parts store so that I don't have to end up at FORD!

Wow dude glad to hear your son is doing better. At least it wasn't anything worst. Dude, I'm truly hoping that this accumulator solves the problem. If this doesn't solve it, I can always pull that old tranny & sell it for parts. Well, tomorrow will prove to be D day for me. I hope I can buy that 1-2 accumulator at a local auto parts store so that I don't have to end up at FORD!

You might want to swap TC's too. I'm pretty sure you can but not positive. I hope putting the springs and piston help but I'm not sure that it will. Warning, when you remove the retainer clip, keep your face out of the way because fluid will come at you quickly. Just make sure you have a C clamp in place before removing it just in case the springs aren't broke. It doesn't look like it from a picture but a C clamp goes right up in there just right.

Ok so due to economic reasons I haven't touched the car at all this weekend & I don't plan to do so. I'm about to sell my waverunner for $3,000 so that will provide me with the cash I need to take care of the tranny. I'm going to miss my waverunner but I need the cash & it guarantees 3 more months of rent at the house I'm at plus it'll fix my transmission. I'll keep everyone posted.

There is no 3-4 solenoid... the 1-2 accomplishes all tasks by turning ports on and off. 2 ports x 2 settings (on/off) = 4 gears.

From experience in my 93... You NEED the TCC solenoid from your original trans.

Also, you can either swap your wire setup on your 93 over or you can use the circuit board assembly in the 98 trans. If you use the circuit board assembly (like I did) you need to break the plastic around the TCC solenoid to get it to fit into the location on the circuit board.

Most importantly, if you go with the circuit board:

You need to re-pin the harness...

DO NOT USE THE WIRING DIAGRAM ON TCCOA! IT'S WRONG!!!

This is the right one: http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/diagrams/electrical/external/bulkhead/index.html

I used the one on TCCOA and drove 10 miles with nearly no power at all and a blinky OD off light (BAD), then I had to replace the 1-2 solenoid and EPC and the circuit board.

What ever you want to call that part pictured in the 2nd pic does have control for the OD and the name 3-4 shift solenoid came from Craig on the .org site. All I know is when I bought it, I put it in and my OD has worked perfect for the last 4 years and then this year, I bought the 1-2 piston and springs from Ford. They don't have these in a parts store and unlikely they will be in stock at the Ford parts counter.

He has a 98 trans but right now he's just trying to fix what he has and he is aware of what has to be done if swapping over to the 98 trans. He has another write up during this month about it somewhere in here.

I didn't think of it till now but it could be the MLPS keeping his in neutral. If it's bad or out of place, it could be causing the problem.

UltimateSVT, you can get that part at a parts store and it's fairly cheap. If you put the 98 in, you'll need it anyway but this could be whats keeping you in neutral. It's a simple 10 minute fix too, right on the side of the transmission.

Alex did you get the tranny fixed yet??? PS have you seen that mark thats on flagler around forty something ave...thats slowly leaking from the struts? I see this mark everyday about 3 or 4 times. do you know who owns it?

Marvin, I actually posted a couple days ago on someone else's thread about that Mark VIII. They were talking about a similar situation of an abandoned Gen 1. I've left notes after notes after notes on that guys windshield, apartment door, the building manager, etc... No response. The building manager told me he already bought a new car & wants his tenant to get rid of that one ASAP! I don't understand why he hasn't called me back.

As for my tranny? Car is still 3 feet in the air. It hasn't been touched. I'm taking care of the sale of my waverunner first so that I have 100% of my focus & attention on my car. To top it off my sister is in the hospital with the flu, 104 fever & low blood pressure. So this has pushed me back a couple days. If all goes according to plan my waverunner will be SOLD tomorrow & that will be perfect timing. I'll keep everyone posted.

There is no 3-4 solenoid... the 1-2 accomplishes all tasks by turning ports on and off. 2 ports x 2 settings (on/off) = 4 gears.

From experience in my 93... You NEED the TCC solenoid from your original trans.

That part is the TCC solenoid. The name "3-4 shift solenoid" came from Craig on the .org site back in 2005 when I changed mine. I just called it that ever since and it will need to be removed and put into the 98 trans. I think it was 2 8 or 10 mm bolts and a plug that holds it in.

It all sounds complicated to me. I'm praying that I sell my waverunner, if I do, I'm simply taking it in to the tranny shop with both tranny's & let them do the work. I'll go there & spend the day with the mecahanics explain the problem & maybe they can test the car after doing some parts changing to the original tranny. If it doesn't work I'll find out if they know about the re-pinning & solenoid swap from the 98 to the 93 car & if they don't know that crap either, I'll give up both transmissions in exchange for a freshly installed remanufactured one. I love wrenching but I don't have the patience for this right now. I took the pan off of the 93 tranny to try to fix it but I have a feeling that even if I replace the 1-2 accumulator it may still stay the same & it would suck BAD! Thanksgiving is a few days away, I'm supposed to go camping this upcoming weekend then I have to do a garage sale the weekend after that to bring some CASH home! Otherwise my car wil sit for a minimum of 3 weeks. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

It's very simple to swap the TCC solenoid. Only 2 bolts and a plug. The re-pinning is supposed to be simple to do too as long as you go by the right diagram. Now that I'm done re-wiring the stereo, I'm about to get on it.

It's very simple to swap the TCC solenoid. Only 2 bolts and a plug. The re-pinning is supposed to be simple to do too as long as you go by the right diagram. Now that I'm done re-wiring the stereo, I'm about to get on it.

I just hung up with my local tranny shop guy & it's $900.00. I asked him if he would accept the 2nd tranny as additional collateral & he said no! So I'm stuck. I'll be working on this car starting next Monday. I SOLD my waverunner today so that's out of the way but I need to prepare for Thanksgiving then camping on the weekend. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help man.

$900 is way too much. Well, too much for me to be spending on something that might be a bitch to do but I know I can do it. If my car was an outside car and I had no garage, then yes, I might consider it with the cold coming. When it comes to getting under a car, it has to be in the garage on flat solid concrete with jack stands, blocks, and hydraulic jack still in place. I'm a freak about being under a car. i do not like it but if I'm the one that got it jacked up and I put all the support under it, then I feel a lot better about it. That and roller coasters are my only two phobias.

Alright guys, I took out the 1/2 shift accumulator & the springs are in perfect condition. Look at the pics below. If this is fine it means that my transmission is worst than I thought. I may have no choice other than going with the 98. Let me know what you guys think.

101_1293.jpg

101_1294.jpg

The 98 needs to go in. Your TC is shot in the one pictured. Valve body could be messed up, I'm not sure but it's something internal. Springs and accumulator do look good. I would hang on to the springs and retainer clip. I'm about to order gaskets for 2 transmissions. The 93 that came out of the wrecked car and a set for the 98. Going to J-Mod both and change front and rear main seals on both. I might just put the 93 in since it's a plug and play and I know for a fact that it's good. I'm sure the 98 is too but apparently it was from a wrecked car because the guy I bought it off of, bought the engine and sold me the trans. It all come from Florida and was said to have only 60K on it. I can get the 93 in quick and then get the 98 built like I want it and have it on standby. I'll take the 1-2 accumulator and springs out of the 94 and put into the 93 because I know they're updated. Not even a year old yet.

I need 2 more jack stands. ;)

Alex they shouldnt charge you that much to just swap em out...if i was you shop around and see. A transmission rebuilt is about 900 but to swap shouldnt run you more than about 300 or so.

The way that car is sitting up there would have me paranoid being under it. One of those block things shatters and it's over. That's what would be on my mind the whole time. :shifty: <---me laying under there. I wouldn't be able to get anything done lol

Alex theres gotta be someone on here that can tell us exactly what has to be changed......Jamie? How much would Jamie charge to do this swap? Mount it on a trailer and take it to him.

This is it. The first pic is the current pin setting on the car now. It (on the car harness) has to be pinned to match the 2nd pic. The TCC solenoid has to be swapped from the old tranny to the 98 and the MLPS.

9297.gif

9805.gif

Members online

Back