Has anyone deleted their woodgrain on a 2nd gen?

micahs97m8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about a vinyl wrap of brushed aluminum, or something like that. Pics of different colors or patterns would be appreciated. I found gloss black and red in another thread. No aluminum or maybe carbon fiber? :confused:

I tried it

woodbezel.jpg

I am also interested...all my plastic pcs seem to have a rubber coating on them, is this how all gen1's are?

I am also interested...all my plastic pcs seem to have a rubber coating on them, is this how all gen1's are?

Yes, unless they come with woodgrain. Mine came with wood in the console but then all the other stuff like the inner dash bezel and pieces and the strips at the top of the door panels and rear side panels all had the coating. The rear ashtrays too. I'm stripping all mine clean and smooth and then going with satin black with a satin clear sometime in October. I feel like gloss would stand out too much and show scratches and smudges easily.

I can't remember who. But I do remember someone on here did theirs in brushed aluminum. I remember because I liked it. I understand making parts out of carbon fiber for weight but I do not like it as far as looks.

Yes, unless they come with woodgrain. Mine came with wood in the console but then all the other stuff like the inner dash bezel and pieces and the strips at the top of the door panels and rear side panels all had the coating. The rear ashtrays too. I'm stripping all mine clean and smooth and then going with satin black with a satin clear sometime in October. I feel like gloss would stand out too much and show scratches and smudges easily.

So that's what all that stuff is:lol: I was wondering why the window switch panels and the ignition key surround were peeling like they'd been painted. It looks horrible. I'm thinking about going with the brushed aluminum look too. Plus the woodgrain in my center stack bezel is cracked and looks bad so I'd like to redo it in brushed aluminum too. I think it would look good.

You can rub that rubber coating off and then do what ever you want. Dean Michals did a good job painting his interior parts. PaulVan had some parts carbon fibered and it looked real good.

You can rub that rubber coating off and then do what ever you want. Dean Michals did a good job painting his interior parts. PaulVan had some parts carbon fibered and it looked real good.

Is that the best way to get that coating off? I'm gonna take mine off also but was wondering the best way.

Is that the best way to get that coating off? I'm gonna take mine off also but was wondering the best way.

I used oven cleaner on the coating on the door panels of my old '94. Just keep an eye on it and let it sit for a while then scrape it off.

thanks for the pics so far, guys. If i paint it black, it will be color matched to the rest of the interior. Brushed aluminum is sounding better by the minute.....:cool:

There is no coating in the gen2 wood trim just needs to be scuffed and painted, I had my stuff hydro imaged carbon fiber with a clear coat over it looks awesome, PM me your E.Mail and I can send pics

There is no coating in the gen2 wood trim just needs to be scuffed and painted, I had my stuff hydro imaged carbon fiber with a clear coat over it looks awesome, PM me your E.Mail and I can send pics
yea they looked great when he showed beerdog at Carlisle, I want to do the carbon fiber in a prairie tan look, been contemplating since, the wood just don't go anymore.

My plan is to paint all the wood grain (including the shift knob) on my black 97 gloss black. I will post pics when that project is complete.

You have a woodgrain shift knob and you're going to paint it? Why? You could sell it and get a black one for next to nothing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back