Harsh reverse engagements

don-ohio

Banned
Reaction score
Noticed the trans mount was busted so I replaced it yesterday evening.87 plus tax lifetime warranty from Advance Auto.
Had trouble getting the 2 mounting bolts back in.Had to chase one thread hole in the aluminum mount.
Still harsh going into reverse.
Day before yesterday I had checked the fluid level with it running,perfect so I drained some out and added trans.fluid and trans.treatment, ran it, and then parked it and disconnected the battery for 45 min. to make it learn shifting again.Followed manual instructions to bring it to running temp.,idle at least one minute,turn on AC for at least a minute,etc. on pg. 265 of my owners manual.
Shifted a little better after that,but was still harsh into reverse,hence replacing the trans. mount.
Probably only 10,000 miles since I had replaced fluid and filter with complete flush.
Anyone have a clue why it's harsh in reverse engagement? 129000 miles. Thanks! don-ohio :)^)

Year? It's a very common problem I would search a little more.

You'll find its probably your solenoid pack. Only use oem. Other possibilities are incorrect fluid level or pcm (less likely but shouldn't be ruled out).

I had the same problem since I bought my 2002 Lincoln LS V8 in 2012; Finally, when the "check transmission" light came on I had to drop the pan. I fixed a spring in the valve body, and decided to go ahead replace the "solonoid" while I was in there. Sure enough, it was the trans solonoid causing the hard reverse and sometimes hard " D". I replaced with a BOSCH , so far so good..smooth in and out of R and D.

Thank you,Stugots and WJ Lacey!! I will definitely get that solenoid pack done soon(I know the fluid level is good). I appreciate your experiences. don-ohio :)^)

Mine also had a hard shift into reverse, along with hard shifting in other gears. Had the computer checked, shop found several fried control circuits in the computer. No codes. With the new computer, all shifts are now smooth.

I might add that I originally thought solenoid too, replaced it and it wasn't. And the computer is a lot easier to get done than the solenoid pack on an LS.

Mine also had a hard shift into reverse, along with hard shifting in other gears. Had the computer checked, shop found several fried control circuits in the computer. No codes. With the new computer, all shifts are now smooth.

I might add that I originally thought solenoid too, replaced it and it wasn't. And the computer is a lot easier to get done than the solenoid pack on an LS.

Not to thread-jack but I'm happy to hear the PCM solved your issues as well!!!

Well.now I'm wondering how much for a new PCM? I can search I guess.Thanks to everyone! don-ohio :)^)

Well,bit the bullet on an Ebay....... new shift solenoid for 161 bucks total. We'll see,I guess. It'll be DAYS or a week or 2 before I get it installed.
I'll let everyone know what the result is. Thanks for all the help! don-ohio :)^)

Some have had problems with those "ebay" solenoid assemblies...

New OEM solenoid did nit fix my harsh reverse shifts. I was told the tranny needed to be rebuilt.

Recent information says that it could be your PCM instead.

OK thanks - interesting. Is that something the dealer would check? They told me the rebuild was necessary after we did the solenoid.

They told me the rebuild was necessary after we did the solenoid.

Based on what? A pressure test? Did they find pieces in the fluid? What was the reason they said you needed a rebuild? There is a company on ebay that will diagnose and fix the PCM. You have to remove it and send it to them. The diagnostic fee is $89. If they have to fix it the price jumps to $161. If not, they only charge you $89 and ship it back to you. SIA Electronics.

I doubt the dealer has any way to diagnose this kind of PCM fault. If they don't have proof of internal transmission damage, the $90 charge from SIA sounds like the best next step, assuming that you can afford the down time. I'd do this if the dealer's only reason for saying a rebuild was needed was that replacing the solenoid assembly didn't fix it. And, it seems like they wouldn't have even tried the solenoid assembly if they saw evidence of transmission damage.

The dealer's response will ALWAYS be rebuild the trans when you have a trans issue. Send the computer off, it's a lot easier than a trans job and DEFINITELY easier than a solenoid replacement which may or may not be the issue.

If it helps, the Explorer uses the same trans. Go to an Explorer board and ask if a harsh reverse engagement is a common problem, and what the fix is if it is common. If they say it's not common, it's very likely to be the PCM. Replace the COPs and plugs while the PCM is in for repairs since it's RF interference from a marginal COP that causes the PCM to fail to begin with.

This is the ONLY car I've ever owned that a trans problem can be caused by an ignition coil. Can't wait to ditch it.

OK thanks - will look into the PCM diagnostic/rebuild. They reload with the original software?

I really doubt that they change any of the FLASH memory/programming at all.

Yep, they do not... which is why when you get it back from them it is plug and play. No programming at the dealership required.

Hi

I was reading about the harsh reverse engagement and it seems to be a blown gasket on valve body.
When they change the gasket also do the springs.

I found that in a ford explorer forum searching about 5r55n transmission.

Hi

I was reading about the harsh reverse engagement and it seems to be a blown gasket on valve body.
When they change the gasket also do the springs.

I found that in a ford explorer forum searching about 5r55n transmission.

The version used in the LS doesn't seem to have the valve body gasket issue so far. Explorers and Rangers after a certain year do not either. With the LS, it was usually the solenoid assembly, and now lately it seems that PCMs are starting to fail in such a way as to cause this symptom. Of course, there are other causes now and then too. It is possible that as the LS ages, it may start seeing gasket issues too.

Members online

Back