GM car suck sooooooo bad.

LaserSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So as some of you know I sold my cherry 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII to catch up on bills and buy a daily beater. In my infinite wisdom I decided a Buick Regal GS was the car to get. So after seeing some turds I decide on a turd that was (or seemed) to be mechanically sound. Thing was running killer and after inspecting everything I deemed the car worthy to purchase and fix the minor things.

So I fix the AC, fix the window regulators, fix the mirrors, fix the trunk and a dozen other small things. Car isn't pretty but it was a beater so I didn't really care.

Kyle (who IS the man) helped me out today with some parts off his extra GS for dirt cheap. So I got an even better trunk lid with non-broken tail light lens and spoiler, alarm module (mine was fried), cup holders, visor mirrors and a climate control module (drivers side AC was 20* warmer then passenger side cause a dual climate control issue). It was nice meeting Kyle, real cool dude, but hes busy and had to go work and trusted me to remove parts. Very cool of him.
I sweated off a good 7 lbs working but was happy cause the car was pretty much done with my new haul.

After that another friend who wanted my old wing offered to throw a tune on it. These cars (as most know) have knock issues from running lean up top. We were not doing a performance tune at all, just adding fuel up top. Didn't remove fuel anywhere and didn't add timing. Was just to make the car safer and help the engine live longer. Did a data log and showed everything was perfect. Car was pulling 6* from knock sensors and after his "fix" the car only needed to pull 1* up top. A/F went from almost 14:1 to closer to 12:1. So we go to make a U turn to come back and I hear a sound that curdled my blood. Rod knock. :mad:
I get him home and car is getting louder. As I leave his pad the car stalls and the temp is rising. Thats it, its done. I pull over and call a truck...... 110 miles from home. :( This was around 4:00PM when this started, just got home a few minutes ago.

Don't know what caused it. Oil was full and clean. Car never even hinted it had any issues. Always started faster then any car I ever had. Didn't smoke or make any noises. It just spun a rod bearing..... so I guess anyway. I know rod knock too well and its defiantly rod knock.

So the tow truck just cleaned me out. Was gonna work something with Kyle on getting his other GS and swapping motors but now I gotta call him cause I cant make it back to Dallas tomorrow to get the car cause the towing was $100 more then they thought. Suck is life.

Not sure what I am gonna do now, car ain't worth chit to sell and I cant afford to get it fixed.

So here is the deal of the decade. My property and home is worth $90,000+ (been three years since last appraisal) and I have it listed for $55K for a quick sale. Anyone wants it and I will take $45K for it right now. 10 acres, 1400+ SF house, car port, dog kennel, storage shed, two-car car-port and a crime free area. Come get it!

I have been working to change my luck thats been total crap the last few years and today after leaving Kyles place I had a smile on my face cause things seemed to be going a little better. Lost my beloved Mark but had a decent car and a few bucks. Amazing how fast that can all change.

IMG_20110813_192710.jpg

Aw man that just freakin sux... if I had the bux or credit to buy yer place I'd buy it cos I never had a place of my own. And I'm quickly getting tired of Montana. Well, Butte anyway. What a shiathole.

Got nothing to offer ya but my empathy. Sometimes life's just a turd.

Still can't believe ya got rid of yer Mark tho.

*runs*

Fuel is way too expensive to drive 3 hours a day 5 days a week in a vehicle that averages 18mpg.

Not even in the same county as dallas.

Its at least an hour and a half away from here. I need a house and the price is right but its too far.

I said BY Dallas..I'm an hour from Chicago, if anybody out of state asks where I live, I tell them it's BY Chicago. It gives people somewhat of an idea which part of the state it's in.

He's in N.J, Would've it been better had I said 59.2 miles due south of the Dallas/Fort Worth metropolitan area???

No, so stfu.....

It's a 3.8sc
I wonder if they have the same problems as 3.1's? I have a 99 Grand Prix and have been through all the gasket issues. it only has 60000 miles and has had to have all the gaskets replaced. car runs great and gets 30 mpg. but you have to keep the oil clean in 3.1's or you face cam bearing failure.

Joys of Gm ownership the 3.8l n/a and s/c are ok motors but crummy bottom ends are a given

If it weren't for bad luck laser, you have no luck....should have picked up a beater mark atleast for the most part there fairly reliable and for what you spent on that fwd pos Gm....you could have had a decent beater mark

I have a 1998 grand prix that suffered a similar fate it's n/a but car was running great sitting at a stop light ac cranked tunes blaring....car stumbled a bit light turned green and then it happened dreaded rod knock...only had the car since this last December and only put 10,000 kms on it purchased the car cause we wanted something 4dr that wasn't a total drag to drive (newborn) should have kept her thunderbird...but if it wouldn't have kicked the bucket I wouldn't have found her a super clean 95 cougar 4.6 with very low Milage Only issue is it's purple...

I said BY Dallas..I'm an hour from Chicago, if anybody out of state asks where I live, I tell them it's BY Chicago. It gives people somewhat of an idea which part of the state it's in.

He's in N.J, Would've it been better had I said 59.2 miles due south of the Dallas/Fort Worth metropolitan area???

No, so stfu.....

Why you getting butthurt...its not BY dallas. Im by dallas (20 minutes away) and its 97 miles away from here.

Go look at at map and get back to me. Ive driven all across this damn state i know where cities are.

He didn't post a real estate classified, the point was to give a general idea where in the state he was located. "By Dallas" is accurate. Why? Because if I glance at a map, it'll give me an idea where in that massive state to start looking.

Not BY Austin. Not BY Houston. Not BY the border. It's by DFW. Not IN DFW, but BY it.

If you want to drill down into it a bit deeper, we all know the city name. In most areas, if you're an hour, hour and a half from a major metro area, you're by it. This is especially true in massive, desolate states like Texas where everything is spread out.

Why you getting butthurt...its not BY dallas. Im by dallas (20 minutes away) and its 97 miles away from here.

Go look at at map and get back to me. Ive driven all across this damn state i know where cities are.

Where's New York, texas?

No, so stfu.....

Sound like my girl. When I meet her she said she was from chicago. Then she said she lived in joliet which outside of chicago. I told her that she aint from chicago then.

No, so stfu.....

i have to agree with you SB, when you said Dallas i knew approx where he was and it helped me,
i am 45 mins from Philly, when someone unfamiliar with Pa asks where i live, i say a little outside Philly.

And to further support your statement, TEXAS is HUGE, so 1 to 1.5 hrs outside a big city is like 20-30 minutes in smaller states .

an hour or so from Dallas in a state the size of TEXAS IS close enough to Dallas for me.

Yup, Texas is pretty fuggin big. Big enough to warrent having the top AAA coverage.

man you guys will argue over anything won't you ? sheehh

Members online

Back