GenII LS8 Cooling System Overhaul

SoulSoak

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I did a cooling system overhaul on my 2003 Lincoln LS8 this August of 2013. I couldn't have done it and wouldn't have even attempted it without the excessive help of this forums great community. I have been very strapped for time due to my wife and step son, as well as my occupational slavery. But as promised in my previous thread, here is an in depth thread on your cooling system replacement for your 2nd Generation Lincoln Luxury Sport 3.9L V8. I'm no professional at making nice threads, but I'll do my best to make this clean.

Let's start with a parts list. This list will contain the part numbers as well as the PNC's from Ford.

(Part Number) (PNC)

* "8548A" / "4Z-8548-AD" (Main Plastic Body)
* "9N499" / "9Z-9N499-AC" (Plastic Elbow behind Main Plastic Body)
* "8592" / "4Z-8592-AA" (Plastic Facet that attaches to Main Plastic Body, it houses the Thermostat Assy)

The 3 parts listed above are the dreaded cooling plastics that tend to get stress cracks and leak and/or allow air to enter your cooling system. This allows your coolant to boil, which results in your vehicle overheating.

(Part Number) (PNC)

* "HR1" / "707299-S300" (*top* O-ring for the 9N499 to 8548A)
* "8255B" / "4Z-8255-CA" (*bottom* O-ring for the 9N499 to engine block)
* "8255A" / "JV-8255-CB" (The 2 O-rings from 8548A to front face of engine block)
* "8590" / "9Z-8590-AB" (Large O-ring from 8548A to 8592)
* "9439" / "9Z-9439-AA" (Intake Manifold Gasket)

The 4 parts listed above are the various O-rings (gaskets/seals) that are contained within/between the 3 cooling plastic components (8548A, 94N99, and 8592). The 5th part on the list is the Intake Manifold Gaskets. If you're going through the trouble to replace all of your cooling system plastics.. you should replace your Intake Manifold Gaskets as well since they are cheap and you will have the Intake Manifold off since it's highly recommended to remove it to install the "9N499" cooling plastic elbow. There's a way around removing your Intake Manifold, but it's just as much work to wrench around it rather than take it off.

(Part Number) (PNC)

* "8A080" / "5W4Z-8A080-AA" (Radiator Overflow Assy, aka "Degas Tank")
* "8575" / "9Z-8575-AB" (Thermostat Assy)
* "8548B" / "4Z-9F814-AA" (Rubber Hose from Block to 8548A)
* "8260" / "4Z-8260-BB" (Upper Radiator Hose)
* "8286A" / "4Z-8286-CB" (Lower Radiator Hose)

The 5 parts listed above are the Degas Tank, Thermostat Assy, Rubber Hose that runs underneath Intake Manifold, and the Upper/Lower Radiator Hoses. I personally didn't replace my Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses because I inspected them and they looked good. Now looks can be deceiving and I highly recommend replacing them. I simply didn't do it because I have a friend that is going to fabricate some for me. The radiator hoses contain plastic in relativity of your other plastic cooling components which will stress crack as well.

Alright, now that all the main/necessary parts have been listed.. I can provide some images and advice. This won't be a complete guide or step by step process, but it should assist you in battle.

case phone 152.jpg
Intake Manifold Gaskets (9439)
case phone 153.jpg
Hose that runs underneath Intake Manifold (8548B)
case phone 154.jpg
Degas Tank (8A080)
case phone 155.jpg
Thermostat Housing (8592)
case phone 156.jpg
Plastic Elbow that's underneath Intake Manifold (9N499)
case phone 157.jpg
Main Plastic Body (8548A)
case phone 158.jpg
Thermostat Assy (8575)
case phone 180.jpg
8548A, 9N499, and 8592 assembled together.
case phone 194.jpg
Thermostat Assy (8575) correctly installed into Thermostat Housing (8592)

Alright guys, unfortunately my wife just showed up and I already got the look. I'm making this thread at my mothers house by the way because we don't have a computer at the house. So I have to get going. Unfortunately this thread is going to be a parts list for the time being, until I get some more time to finish it. I have several other photos that are great for preventative damage throughout this installation process. Sorry I couldn't finish it. God Bless you all and your LS's.

case phone 152.jpg

case phone 153.jpg

case phone 154.jpg

case phone 155.jpg

case phone 156.jpg

case phone 157.jpg

case phone 158.jpg

case phone 180.jpg

case phone 194.jpg

Not to be picky, but could you post the entire part numbers? Most of will need the numbers where you have the * and " .....

Nice start!!

Just hit 80k and was going to start picking up all my plastic cooling parts, great thread.

Yep me too at 74k. It started running warmer than normal the other day. I know what that means since this is my second go around. My shopping cart at tasca is close to $700. Just gotta pull the trigger.....

Ya I would like to know what the approx price is for this. need to think of doing it.

I just ordered everything in this post plus the water pump, upper, and lower hoses. Tasca was the best price and with a 5% off promo code it was about $530 before shipping for the cooling system stuff.

I just ordered everything in this post plus the water pump, upper, and lower hoses. Tasca was the best price and with a 5% off promo code it was about $530 before shipping for the cooling system stuff.

:slam wow i was thinking on less $$.

thanks

Thats not bad with all that he got. that includes a water pump? I was expecting more to do it to be honest.

:slam wow i was thinking on less $$.

thanks

It ain't cheap. What's bad is it'll all probably need to be done again in another 100K miles so keep that parts list, if the parts are even available. Lucky Gen 1 owners can at least order metal versions of some of the plastic which shouldn't need replacing.

Anyone doing this job, if you find that you missed ordering any of the parts, your local Jag dealer should be able to provide the parts on a next day basis. When I did mine, Lincoln needed 3 weeks to get a couple of gaskets I needed, and couldn't guarantee the parts would be what I needed. The Jag dealer knew exactly what I needed, had them the next day, and charged less than Lincoln wanted.

Finally got a computer at the house, I'll be finishing this thread maybe this weekend. Just found out I got a baby coming, so I need to dump all the $$$ I can and do all the modding I can within the next 9 months. If not, my wife will never let me haha.

Finally got a computer at the house, I'll be finishing this thread maybe this weekend. Just found out I got a baby coming, so I need to dump all the $$$ I can and do all the modding I can within the next 9 months. If not, my wife will never let me haha.

Congratulations!

I hate to break it to you, but the expenses pile up long before baby arrives. Google "nesting" and find out....

Not to be picky, but could you post the entire part numbers? Most of will need the numbers where you have the * and " .....

Nice start!!

My apologies I thought I had replied to this. The "*'s" were just used as bullets to seperate parts. And the quotations were used to seperate the P/N's from the PNC's. The numbers I listed are the entires numbers provided by Fordpartsgiant.com.

Thanks for the writeup, SS. I was wondering if this was a Gen II issue as well, I see that it is. Was also wondering if there were metal parts for Gen II, I see that there are not. When the car starts to overheat and/or certain mileage, time to overhaul the cooling system. Three questions I had answered here, good info!

I just had the 2 housing pieces replaced. I had the front housing plus degas bottle and radiator hoses changed in may due to boiling coolant/overheating. Here's my question..the shop said the back housing, which does run underneath the air intake, required them to take that off and possibly take loose the manifold. I suspect they were overcharging labor because part of the repair was free warrantied work. Interested to hear your account of the repair..

I just had the 2 housing pieces replaced. I had the front housing plus degas bottle and radiator hoses changed in may due to boiling coolant/overheating. Here's my question..the shop said the back housing, which does run underneath the air intake, required them to take that off and possibly take loose the manifold. I suspect they were overcharging labor because part of the repair was free warrantied work. Interested to hear your account of the repair..

Yes, the intake manifold has to come off to do this. It's not that difficult, if you've done it before. I'd say it might add an hour of labor.

Yes, the intake manifold has to come off to do this. It's not that difficult, if you've done it before. I'd say it might add an hour of labor.

^ What Joe said. However it adds alot more than an hour of labor for me. Joe and other guys here are much better and more familiar with these repairs than I am.

Anyhow yes, the Intake Manifold has to come off to replace that particular piece. Be thankful you payed professionals to do it, because I didn't properly torque down my Intake Manifold and might be paying the price Someday.

I just completed this job myself. The intake was a little trouble to remove, but if I had to do it again it would be much quicker. Hopefully SoulSoak does not have any problems, but there is a torque sequence to be aware of when reinstalling it.

Sweet write-up Soul!
smiley-score009.gif

Good to finally see a second Gen Re&Re of the cooling system, would have been nice to have seen/included some actual progress pics of the work involved.

Nonetheless, very nice and I can tell it's a rewarding effort you put into it. nothing beats not paying others high labour cost to perform something most with help and documentation can perform themselves in their own driveway/garage.

And as Telco mentioned, we first Gen owners got off a little easier with the none-plastic Jaguar Stat housing compatibility and not having to remove the intake body.

+1 all around, great stuff ... thanks so much for the write-up contributions.

bigrig_approved_thumbup_zps2d443357.gif

Nice start!!

Here's some of the full part numbers.

96JV-8255-CB
XW4Z-8255-CA
2W9Z-8575-AB
3W4Z-8548-AD
2W9Z-8590-AB
3W4Z-8592-AA
W500215-S309 (the bolts that hold down the 9N499 tube)
5W4Z-8A080-AA
2W9Z-9N499-AC
2W9Z-8620-GB
3W4Z-9F814-AA
W707299-S300
3W4Z-8A511-AB
2W9Z-9439-AA
2W9Z-8501-BB (water pump - comes with gasket)

Match these up to the partial part numbers at the start of the thread.
PS: Maybe SoulSoak could edit his first post to fill in the full numbers...

This is a great parts list. I just started on this project this weekend as well, and I was wondering what size disconnect tool you need for the fuel rail. The largest I have was 3/8" and it was to small.

This is a great parts list. I just started on this project this weekend as well, and I was wondering what size disconnect tool you need for the fuel rail. The largest I have was 3/8" and it was to small.

I've finally got the computer hooked up at our house so I will be finishing this thread with complete part numbers, as well as numerous photos of the process with helpful information.

God bless you all LVC

So I did a cooling system overhaul on my 2003 Lincoln LS8 this August of 2013. I couldn't have done it and wouldn't have even attempted it without the excessive help of this forums great community. I have been very strapped for time due to my wife and step son, as well as my occupational slavery. But as promised in my previous thread, here is an in depth thread on your cooling system replacement for your 2nd Generation Lincoln Luxury Sport 3.9L V8. I'm no professional at making nice threads, but I'll do my best to make this clean.

Let's start with a parts list. This list will contain the part numbers as well as the PNC's from Ford.

(Part Number) (PNC)

* "8548A" / "4Z-8548-AD" (Main Plastic Body)
* "9N499" / "9Z-9N499-AC" (Plastic Elbow behind Main Plastic Body)
* "8592" / "4Z-8592-AA" (Plastic Facet that attaches to Main Plastic Body, it houses the Thermostat Assy)

The 3 parts listed above are the dreaded cooling plastics that tend to get stress cracks and leak and/or allow air to enter your cooling system. This allows your coolant to boil, which results in your vehicle overheating.

(Part Number) (PNC)

* "HR1" / "707299-S300" (*top* O-ring for the 9N499 to 8548A)
* "8255B" / "4Z-8255-CA" (*bottom* O-ring for the 9N499 to engine block)
* "8255A" / "JV-8255-CB" (The 2 O-rings from 8548A to front face of engine block)
* "8590" / "9Z-8590-AB" (Large O-ring from 8548A to 8592)
* "9439" / "9Z-9439-AA" (Intake Manifold Gasket)

The 4 parts listed above are the various O-rings (gaskets/seals) that are contained within/between the 3 cooling plastic components (8548A, 94N99, and 8592). The 5th part on the list is the Intake Manifold Gaskets. If you're going through the trouble to replace all of your cooling system plastics.. you should replace your Intake Manifold Gaskets as well since they are cheap and you will have the Intake Manifold off since it's highly recommended to remove it to install the "9N499" cooling plastic elbow. There's a way around removing your Intake Manifold, but it's just as much work to wrench around it rather than take it off.

(Part Number) (PNC)

* "8A080" / "5W4Z-8A080-AA" (Radiator Overflow Assy, aka "Degas Tank")
* "8575" / "9Z-8575-AB" (Thermostat Assy)
* "8548B" / "4Z-9F814-AA" (Rubber Hose from Block to 8548A)
* "8260" / "4Z-8260-BB" (Upper Radiator Hose)
* "8286A" / "4Z-8286-CB" (Lower Radiator Hose)

The 5 parts listed above are the Degas Tank, Thermostat Assy, Rubber Hose that runs underneath Intake Manifold, and the Upper/Lower Radiator Hoses. I personally didn't replace my Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses because I inspected them and they looked good. Now looks can be deceiving and I highly recommend replacing them. I simply didn't do it because I have a friend that is going to fabricate some for me. The radiator hoses contain plastic in relativity of your other plastic cooling components which will stress crack as well.

Alright, now that all the main/necessary parts have been listed.. I can provide some images and advice. This won't be a complete guide or step by step process, but it should assist you in battle.

View attachment 828462360
Intake Manifold Gaskets (9439)
View attachment 828462361
Hose that runs underneath Intake Manifold (8548B)
View attachment 828462362
Degas Tank (8A080)
View attachment 828462363
Thermostat Housing (8592)
View attachment 828462364
Plastic Elbow that's underneath Intake Manifold (9N499)
View attachment 828462365
Main Plastic Body (8548A)
View attachment 828462366
Thermostat Assy (8575)
View attachment 828462367
8548A, 9N499, and 8592 assembled together.
View attachment 828462368
Thermostat Assy (8575) correctly installed into Thermostat Housing (8592)

Alright guys, unfortunately my wife just showed up and I already got the look. I'm making this thread at my mothers house by the way because we don't have a computer at the house. So I have to get going. Unfortunately this thread is going to be a parts list for the time being, until I get some more time to finish it. I have several other photos that are great for preventative damage throughout this installation process. Sorry I couldn't finish it. God Bless you all and your LS's.
Awesome pics, how does the middle assembly attach to the dwn pipe into the intake? I have leak were those two connect

Members online

No members online now.
Back