Gas "door" won't open

wade0731

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
When I go to get gas and hit the button to open the gas tank "door" for a lack of a better word, it doesn't open. I have to take my key wedge it in and pry it open every time. Not sure why it's not opening. Happen to anyone else? When I hit the button I hear something go off like it is opened as usual.

Per the owners manual, you may be better off to open the fuel door via the release cable in the trunk.

As to why it will not open via the button on the dash. I believe the door is operated electronically via a solenoid? Maybe a cable setup?

fuel door.jpg

this happened to me last spring, there is a little piece of flat metal (kind of a spring) that pushes the door open when the button is pressed, this broke off on my car so when you press the button, you can hear the solenoid pop but it wont open past the latch.

this isn't a huge problem for me since i can pop the gas door open from my viper remote, so i just have to be next to that gas door, push th button to open it and then for 1 second its released, i need to grab the door with my finger and pull it open.

to fix it the spring need to be replaced, i haven't really looked into how easy it is to remove from the door, but i got an extra gas door with a good spring that i got from a junk yard but i moved at the end of summer and have not found it yet :(

Mine started sticking once. Spraying some lubricant on the release resolved it.

Okay I lubricated it, the thing works but it doesn't pop open for some reason. I stick my key in there like i'm going to pry it open to put a little force on it and once the button is pushed it comes open. But if this is not done it just sits there. Something is not pushing the door open like it should, what would this be?

Okay I lubricated it, the thing works but it doesn't pop open for some reason. I stick my key in there like i'm going to pry it open to put a little force on it and once the button is pushed it comes open. But if this is not done it just sits there. Something is not pushing the door open like it should, what would this be?

Post #3 in this thread??

Lol, thanks! Im an idiot.. I read that post when I first posted this but forgot about it I guess!

the spring is like 10 bucks from ford and has one or two small screws holding it on. I had to replace mine last year.

Mine used to do that. The spring wasn't broken, but it had bent a little over time. I bent it back into shape and haven't had a problem since.

Is the door normally supposed to pop open when the button is pushed under the dash? Mine does not. Does the fuel door simply unlock until pried open. Not mine. When i push the button in the dash the mechanism behind the door does click. The door springs closed from the open position normally. It also open via the pull cable in the trunk. So what's the fix here?

Is the door normally supposed to pop open when the button is pushed under the dash? Mine does not. Does the fuel door simply unlock until pried open. Not mine. When i push the button in the dash the mechanism behind the door does click. The door springs closed from the open position normally. It also open via the pull cable in the trunk. So what's the fix here?

I would say spring adjustment or new spring.

the door is simple, there is a spring pushing outward on it at all times (this should be easy to see when looking at it)

pushing the button operates a solenoid that releases the latch and the spring should push it open...

do you hear the motor popping when the button is pressed?

if not, you might have a blown fuse or a bad solenoid.

also if not, you are going to have to do some testing to see what the actual problem is... (bad switch, bad wiring, bad solenoid, ect)

hint: you're probably gonna need a multimeter

It also open via the pull cable in the trunk.

I would say spring adjustment or new spring.

I can also say with certainty that the pull cable only manually operates the releasing of the latch, it does not aid in the opening of the door.

so if you pull the cable and the gas door pops open on its own, your spring is doing its job, and you have an electrical problem.

so then, what happens if you push the trunk button on the key fob?

Pull cable and door does not pop open. Needs to be pried open with fingernail or something.

Don't have a trunk button on keyfob. Button under dash makes a click noise. Door does not pop

then the solution to your problem is in posts #8, #9, and #10.

which makes me wonder if you even read any of this as every answer you have asked was answered four months before you asked it.

just for sh!ts and giggles, why doesn't your keyfob have a trunk button? do you have a non OEM fob, or did somebody just program a ford rangers remote you your car?

Members online

No members online now.
Back