Gas "door" won't open

that is exactly what it does, the dashed line from the torx goes right through the center of "<28608" into the door...

part <28608 is the spring and the retainer...

therefore the dashed line IS going through all of the parts that screw fastens to the door.

Yes, the drawing could be better, but it is accurate.

... now that I think about it, 405A24 might be only the spring to hold the door open until pushed shut. (so as it doesn't flop in the wind while open during fueling)

I think that this is true.

Here:

Call out item: 405A24 // Door Latch Spring Part# E83Z-54405A24-A

(it's the do-hickey that actually makes the door pop out after the latch and lock has released it, this is broke and why you are prying it open after the lock let go of the latch(which you also appear to be missing.))

GENUINE FORD OEM DOOR LATCH SPRING E83Z-54405A24-A / E83Z54405A24A
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-FOR...155?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd973e21b

attachment.php

GO TO THE SCRAP YARD AND PULL THE PART // BRING TOOLS.
Man, that part on eBay looks nothing like this one.

View attachment 828468643

No it does not, I was suggesting for the OP to "also" check that 405A24 load spring behind the door arm.

What is being held up in that pic you posted is the 28608 retainer spring. AKA the latch which the OP is missing as it has broken off. It's the part that makes it pop out when released. Seems to me the 405A24 load spring (on the arm) keeps it in the open position and provides tension until pushed closed again, if not the door would just loosely flop around once released. I do still believe it aids the whole door once released, provides the tension kind of thing.

405A24, looks like one of those straight springs that alway want to pop back to it's original position but can buckle backwards with the door arm and when it reaches halfway, it keeps that tension location until pushed back again.

MYEARWOOD, I would like to extend my apologies to you, I was too harsh last night towards you. It's been bothering me all day, I omitted some of my stupid comments in the above posts. I hope you soon manage to locate involved spring and undo the screw in order to replace it. I would still suggest to see what a bone yard may have to offer as in a whole fuel door assembly, however it may be possible the little spring is cheapest through your local dealership. Best of luck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back