Gas "door" won't open

so the ones that came with the car should look like this

$(KGrHqV,!hEFByyWgzOGBQddHs,j(!~~_1.JPG

does your look like this or is it completely different

ford-remote1.jpg

if different, does it have a brand name or logo? (maybe on the back or other number)

$(KGrHqV,!hEFByyWgzOGBQddHs,j(!~~_1.JPG

ford-remote1.jpg

I misread you. We were talking fuel door. Thought you meant there's a fuel door button on keyfob. My trunk button opens the trunk. If there is some relationship between the fuel door and the trunk release, please stop assuming i know this car that well. As for reading the answers, they are not sufficiently detailed.

ok wait, it looks like I messed up, I'm sorry, I think that question was supposed to be in a different thread lol...

just realized that wasn't for this thread...

disregard that part of it. your problem is still spring related, try looking at it and seeing if there is a little metal flap that should be pushing the door out, if that flap is still there but bent too far back, then you can try to bend it back out. if it is completely broke off, its gonna need to be replaced.

Where is the metal flap that pushes the door out? There is a torx bolt on the inside of the door but no metal flap. There is a spring that helps the door close. Could it be the spring is broken off? I've never seen the working part so the information in this thread is insufficiently detailed.

Circled in red is the metal spring clip that pushes the door open.

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

I've never seen the working part so the information in this thread is insufficiently detailed.

cant really get any more detailed than a blow apart diagram from post 12 including which part to look at

you were also told that a torx bolt holds it on and unless your LS is different from everybodys elses LS, then there is only one torx bolt behind the fuel door. also being told that it can just break off, you would think that looking at the inside of the door, at the torx bolt, you should be able to see leftovers from the broken piece, under the bolt...

hell you probably have a mark on the rear of the body near the edge of the opening when the spring mage contact and wore the paint.

there is sufficient details in this thread, however as with most repairs, some common sense and maybe even a little critical thinking may be involved. if you honestly spent more than 45 seconds looking at the door and couldn't figure it out, you're probably just better off taking it to the dealer to make sure it gets repaired correctly.

The diagram in post 12 does not clearly show a spring or anything resembling the photograph.

but it shows you precisely where it is located, and what kind of bolt to look for, if that in combination of looking at the actual door isn't enough to find it, or where it should be then something is wrong. its not like opening up a rear end, there is a gas door, and the thing that is bolted to it...

seriously, how long did you look at it before you gave up?

You really have no idea how rude you are do you? I'll deal with this without anymore of what you call help

Please, these guys have over-extended themselves with attempts to assist you, some even went out to their garage, popped open the fuel door and took a picture of it for you, posted the call-out diagram of the parts involved and all you can say is that it's not good enough.

How about you take some initiative, break out some tools and get that simple little fuel door spring replaced!

I don't mean to be rude with you but COME ON !!!! ... it's a simple little spring lever for a darnit fuel door, how hard can it be to fix, seriously!

What are you gonna do when your LS starts misfiring and it needs new COPs and plugs along with VCG's

Honestly man, look at the diagram that was offered to you, go look at your LS'es fuel door and figure something out man.

First off BigRigLS, would you like it if I ever said to you, "What's wrong? Are you too stupid to know that You in English can mean one person or a group of people?" I was not referring to you or the person that got the photograph. photo1.jpg

Second, this photo is what I have behind the gas door. I see the black thing that is labelled as 28608. I see a rectangle of metal under that - which seems to be the part labelled as 9A095 and the door 405A26. Like most IKEA furniture, that diagram is not clear enough. If the little rectangle is supposed to represent a spring, well then I think whoever drew the diagram is the one with the brain disorder. Until the photo, thankfully provided provided by someone with brains and manners enough to do what no one else here did, I did not get to see what was missing. Ignorant and insulting answers like #17, 25, oh and how about #29 which shows someone's got a problem with attention span, did nothing to increase the useful information in the thread.

Oh and by the way, my father forced me through rebuilding an engine when I was a kid. Cars are not my favorite thing to fix, so give me a break. Explain your answers clearly and maybe intelligent people will understand.

photo1.jpg

and furthermore, my car has been leaking coolant. A trained mechanic had it up on a hoist and could not find the leak. I just poured some coolant in the overflow and it leaked straight down where it has been leaking all the time. Nobody's perfect, I guess, eh?

View attachment 828468632

VS.

attachment.jpg

Hmmmm ?!?!?! ... I give, why can't you see what's different in these two pics?

Also take a look at part# 405A24, it's the little spring far deep inside behind the door arm lever that makes it pop forward.

Go to the scrap yards tomorrow, bring your tool box!

They've given you "clear" answers, they are not there with you in front of your defective fuel latch, you need to now be "intelligent" and take it that one step further all by yourself and resolve your issue.

If you are not able, then drop it off to someone that "can" fix a simple door spring lever.

good luck to you.

OK fellas, I think we need to cut MYEARWOOD some slack here because that parts diagram really sucks! Where the hell do they get the draftsmen from at that place. Ford has a problem with parts representation in their diagrams most times but that isn't even close. I think someone was on drugs. We can't expect someone who admittedly states working on cars is not his forte to recognize a part he's never seen before by looking at that drawing.

View attachment 828468633View attachment 828468634View attachment 828468635

Here:

Call out item: 405A24 // Door Latch Spring Part# E83Z-54405A24-A

(it's the do-hickey that actually makes the door pop out after the latch and lock has released it, this is broke and why you are prying it open after the lock let go of the latch(which you also appear to be missing.))

GENUINE FORD OEM DOOR LATCH SPRING E83Z-54405A24-A / E83Z54405A24A
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-FOR...155?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd973e21b

attachment.php

GO TO THE SCRAP YARD AND PULL THE PART // BRING TOOLS.

Robot, that's the spring latch the opening mechanism closes and releases on.
to make it pop out past that, it requires a spring which without going out to mine and actually look at it, seems to be located as part of the door. He appears to be missing that latch somehow. looks broken and missing.

There is a plastic little hook arm that comes from the left inside ... is clasps itself onto that latch in the photos.
it serves to hold it in place under tension and also serve purpose when the release arm is activated, pulls back and allows for the latch to move forward by means of the spring latch which is directly part of the fuel door arm.

One would be able to look at the diagram provided and cross reference it to the car in the garage, put 2 and 2 together with basic tools and arrive to a resolution instead of complaining about other members not clearly answering the question intelligently enough.

Note: problem for OP since 29th of June.

I still think that it's the 5428608 part from way earlier in this thread...

wow, looking at that picture, its even clearer to me what the problem is, you can even clearly see where there is a rusted jagged edge like something broke right off, but I guess with such a complicated part things can be so confusing.

also FYI part 9A095 is the octane sticker, its easy to tell that its not the spring in that diagram, because the spring has a different part number, and it shows where that part number is...

sometimes I wonder how cars ever got fixed back before people demanded to be spoon fed over the internet...

I still think that it's the 5428608 part from way earlier in this thread...

I would fully agree with that... when googling the model number that part replaced (4Z-5428608-A) it clearly matches the description of a spring (the part that is broke/missing), a retainer(aka the part that hold the door closed) and a washer (im sure this needs no further explanation). even looks like the part in the car with the exception of a little metal flap thats broke off as described months ago...

$_12.JPG

so since all this information was made available back in February, how else can this be made any clearer?

$_12.JPG

28608 & 405A24 play together to pop that door open and outwards.

OP's 28608 is broken off. 405A24 might still be good but not enough load by itself to pop away after release.

He mentioned he had to insert or pry with a key after it released.

... now that I think about it, 405A24 might be only the spring to hold the door open until pushed shut. (so as it doesn't flop in the wind while open during fueling)

I would fully agree with that... when googling the model number that part replaced (4Z-5428608-A) it clearly matches the description of a spring (the part that is broke/missing), a retainer(aka the part that hold the door closed) and a washer (im sure this needs no further explanation). even looks like the part in the car with the exception of a little metal flap thats broke off as described months ago...

View attachment 828468637

so since all this information was made available back in February, how else can this be made any clearer?

It could have been made clearer by omitting that suck a55 drawing that has the spring out of place and using this picture instead. I was certified GD&T and I totally missed the part because I was looking for the representation of the part as a drawing. That doesn't cut it. The dashed line should be going from the torx screw through all of the parts that screw fastens to the fuel door PERIOD!

The dashed line should be going from the torx screw through all of the parts that screw fastens to the fuel door PERIOD!

that is exactly what it does, the dashed line from the torx goes right through the center of "<28608" into the door...

part <28608 is the spring and the retainer...

therefore the dashed line IS going through all of the parts that screw fastens to the door.

Members online

Back