Front spoiler

HANG THE EXPENSE

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am looking into making an aluminum front spoiler for my Gen1.I think for clearance it needs to mount forward of the existing factory one which seems to take it in the shorts with most Gen1 s.It will need to have one hell of a rake to maintain ground clearance on lowered cars.It will need a reenforcement plate on the inside of the front cover as well.Have any of you made one of these before? Pics?

original

Ok, I gotta ask. Do you still have the original one or is it gone?

Oh yes,I still have the original on the car and its as bad as almost everyone elses.My plan was to follow the contour of the original at first until I cut my front springs(Half coil) and I scrapped it today on a dip in the road at speed.So that has me looking at setting it a little forward of the original mounting area but aft of the air inlets for the radiator.The corners will be rounded to follow the lines of the car as well. We'll see what happens.

I'd be worried about it getting bent as where the original will flex and scrape, the aluminum would get bent out of shape, unless you're going higher up with it. My black 94 never even had one on it and never was noticed being missing. If it's that low, you might just want to go without one at all. Just my thought.

chin

I'd be worried about it getting bent as where the original will flex and scrape, the aluminum would get bent out of shape, unless you're going higher up with it. My black 94 never even had one on it and never was noticed being missing. If it's that low, you might just want to go without one at all. Just my thought.

Yes,will be going higher up.More air to the radiator wont hurt either.

I believe he's trying to make an aluminum front air dam. Personally I'd stick with the plastic, I think it aluminum would be destroyed in short order.

I believe he's trying to make an aluminum front air dam. Personally I'd stick with the plastic, I think it aluminum would be destroyed in short order.

I'm thinking the same thing. It might even be possible to find a plastic one off of a different car that has the angle that he's after. Hit the junk yards, no telling what can be found in there. Obviously it would require new holes for mounting but if it were me, I wouldn't try to make one from aluminum. I never had any problems with the 94 not having one at all and I never heard the scrape like I hear now with the 95.

chin

I work with aluminum everyday.Forming dies are no problem so experimenting wont be that difficult.I may make one out of aluminum and use it as the master to make them out of carbon-fiber.Then who cares if you knock the thing off as you can get more.Just putting some ideas out there.

I work with aluminum everyday.Forming dies are no problem so experimenting wont be that difficult.I may make one out of aluminum and use it as the master to make them out of carbon-fiber.Then who cares if you knock the thing off as you can get more.Just putting some ideas out there.

If you work with it everyday then go for it and see what you can come up with. You would probably only have time invested.

someone used a cobra spoiler on a mark before and only had to trim a little to make it work but i have no clue how to find the pics, they are out there somewhere. it looked awesome to.

someone used a cobra spoiler on a mark before and only had to trim a little to make it work but i have no clue how to find the pics, they are out there somewhere. it looked awesome to.

That's what I'm thinking. Using one from a different car that will be of use and have flex unless you just really like playing with aluminum. Nothing wrong with a project.

m

Hmmm... that didn't work.

http://m.flickr.com/photos/22636278@N05/5706240476/sizes/m/

Last edited:
flickr..... it has some size thing going on, didn't find the .jpeg in the html.
weird
base.jpg

How about making a spoiler out of a truckers mud flap. You could extend it down more than normal and since it's flexible, the occasional scraping would not hurt it.

Members online

Back