Front Air Spring/Shock Updated Design

I understand your point, and its true people piss and moan online.

As these autos trickle down to the cheap bastages... some might want to by a after market air bag replacement.

Just not sure what percentage that would be.

I just got IntelliCAD 6.3 so I can do a much better and more accurate blueprint of my design. I'll post more when I get the hang of the program. I haven't used CAD since college. And that was a while back.

Bump...:D

Just an update:

I should be getting my new Arnott front air spring/shock assembly today for the LSC. When I get the old one off, I'm going to do some measuring and do a more accurate design using IntelliCAD. And to broaden the possible applications of my design, it can be adapted to McPherson strut suspension systems as well by using a spindle-mount bracket and a bearing cap on top. I'll probably do that design too just to see how it will turn out.

brackets.JPG
Like this. One for strut-type suspensions, and one for upper and lower control arm-type suspensions. It could work for both. The strut option just occurred to me recently. I don't care for strut-type suspensions and the last car I had with struts in front was a 1987 Mustang and that was about 10 years ago. I much prefer the proper upper/lower control arm design of the Mark VIII over the simpler strut designs.

brackets.JPG

I beg to differ. Go visit any Mercedes, BMW LR, etc. forums and see how much owners bitch and moan about how much it costs to get something fixed out of warranty, Nut.

Manufacturers (especially high end ones) to try to make cost of ownership as low as possible within reason. They don't want you to buy one of their cars only to have it in the shop more than it's on the road. If that's the case, people will go buy brand Y instead of brand X. They also don't want you to pay through the nose if at all possible. Of course, you end up doing so, especially on specialty parts.

Now, is it all relative? Sure. An oil change on say, a Mercedes is right at 120 dollars. But you do get a 10,000 mile service interval, a nice fleece filter, a thorough go-over the car and a nice car bath with that.

Most people change the oil every 3,000 miles (this I don't understand why people change it so often, but eh..), for a cost of what, about 40 dollars? 3 oil changes and 9,000 miles later, you're at 120 dollars. Again, all relative.

I could go on, but you get the idea.
I agree alot with what you are saying there frogmaster but there are exceptions here. I had a new S4 and oil changes were the same as the Benz. Car came back with a $20+ quality car wash, nice smelling interior, new cabin filter and they treat you like royalty with an Audi loaner car for the day. Same thing when I bought my USED 911 Turbo.
I didnt get that service with my new Vette that was more money then the German cars. Didnt get that service when I bought a new Cobra as well.

Now I change my synthetic oil every 3000 miles cause with the hugh IATs I now have and with the blower it just seems like cheapish maintenance on a 200k motor.

But then there is the flip side. How much is service on the SLR? Isnt it like $10,000 for a fluids service? Its a freakin Benz after all. The dealer I worked at charged through the nose for Lambo and Ferrari service too.
Then there is the $30,000 6k service on the Veyron! Sure $20k is the $5000 each tires but still, 10 large for oil change? Thats just insaine!

Anyway I have had many used German imports and with the exception of some specialty items that are very complex, most other parts are on par with domestic stuff.
For example, an A6 2.7T is cheaper to buy most parts for then a Mark VIII. Ball joints, brake pads, wiper blades, front suspension etc etc. are cheaper.

I've never been able to afford to buy a "new" car. So I have no concept of "dealer service". I've also never paid anyone to change my oil. I wouldn't know how to act if someone else changed my oil for me. It's just not a concept I'm familiar with. I'm just weird like that. I'd be paranoid that maybe they didn't put the right oil in, or didn't put enough in, or put too much in, or didn't make sure the filter gasket wasn't stuck to the block when they put the new filter on, or that they just didn't do it and charged me for it anyway. I just like to do my own work whenever I can. That way I know exactly what's been done. And if something fcuks up, I'll only have myself to blame.

Ok, produce them

Oh how I'd love to! But alas, I have no time, money, or equipment with which to do so.

However, if I can get the design a little more simplified, it's possible I could "shop it around" to various companies and get someone else to produce them (while paying me royalties, of course:D). Anyway, I know it's a pipe dream. But it's still fun to play with the design.

Thay, if you need some autodesk inventor assistance, let me know.

I'm working on some plans for another member now, but could probably squeeze some time in for this.

Thay, if you need some autodesk inventor assistance, let me know.

I'm working on some plans for another member now, but could probably squeeze some time in for this.

I do appreciate that. Right now, I'm going to try my hand at IntelliCAD. I haven't touched a CAD program in over a decade. So I'll have to get the hang of it again. But believe it or not, the pictures I posted on this page were done with great haste in freehand using Microsoft Paint of all things:) I am gonna sit down with IntelliCAD this weekend and try to come up with something a little more "tangible", so to speak, with some actual measurements. Maybe you could help me tweak it a little when I get the overall design nailed down?

Yea, let me know.

I'll need a DXF file, or preferably a dwg file to put into inventor. It's a 3D modeling program that will do interference checking and stress analysis.

The stress checking would get REAL expensive.

Ya know, the more I think about it, the "screw-on" air spring may not be such a good idea. In order for the unit to fit, all the mounting points have to line up properly. And threads can be over/under tightened and may cause the lower control arm mount to be slightly off-center with the shock tower mount, or vice versa. Hmmm. I'll have to rethink this, but I'm thinking that something like the way the solenoids twist/slide into their housings on the air spring cap may work using the same kind of O-ring seal as the solenoids use. That way it can only fit together one way. And another thing that occurred to me, with this design, one universal air spring could fit several different types of cars with just a change of the top cap (rigid mount for air UCA/LCA design and bearing cap for McPherson strut type) and bottom shock housing/bracket (LCA mount for UCA/LCA and spindle mount for strut). And expanding the usage options to FWD cars with McPherson strut-type front suspensions and Chapman Strut rear suspensions makes this design available to even more different cars.

Bump:) Again:D

Here's an updated version of my last design. I have changed the way the air spring mounts to the shock housing. It now slides into the housing with a key so it will only fit one way and can't rotate out of position. And a jam nut slides up the shock housing and tightens around the lower portion of the air spring to hold it all together. The top cap sits on top of the air spring with a key as well. It is then secured to the air spring using the nut on top of the shock absorber and an o-ring seal. The air spring is a universal fit design that can be used on various different types of vehicles equipped with integrated air spring/shock absorber units. The rigid mount top and LCA mounted shock tube can be interchanged with a bearing cap and spindle mount for strut suspension designs while still using the same air spring. With this type of modular design, the possibilities are endless. Sorry I still haven't been able to do anything in CAD yet. I just don't have the time. Maybe I'll get to it soon.

shocks updated.jpg

I could see using this design with a set of magneto-rheological shocks with a dial on the dash to adjust the shock stiffness. Or you could use any type of shock you would like to instead of having to settle for whatever type of shock the manufacturer decides to give you.

shocks updated.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back