Flwmstr 40 series swap

I've always liked the OEM Gen 2 tips. Even on our Gen 1's. Here's a few pics of the Gen 2 tips on my ol' '93. Only thing I didn't like was that the exhaust shop installed them upside down! They were mounted flush to the rear bumper so they didn't stick out at all. They looked really nice & if I buy a gen 1 again I will install these tips on it once again!

20120526_130652.jpg

fs7.jpg

20120505_184908.jpg

101_1104s.jpg

small2.jpg

these 4'' rounds are growing on me...
1124081107.jpg

and this lil guy is going in soon:
1205195444.jpg

I'm seriously dumbfounded about your exhaust guy. Anyhow, the x-pipe you ordered looks a lot better. I don't know what to call that atrocity that he attempted. :confused:

well, he did what some others wouldn't..removed the 3rd cat....beyond that....he's not superb.....I may get someone else to take his attempt out and put the crossover in

f*ck it..just have some of these fabricated for your car..GAURANTEED to sound unique! lol

180degreeMedium1278196100.jpg

Jackson, Front-Back-Go yourself

:lol:

I'm going to go ahead and get this for mine and then "Pypes" oval tips. Then I am done with the car, period. Going to start pocketing cash cause, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Muffler with built in X and then Borla mufflers out back to be low toned but true dual.

MagnaflowX-Pipe.gif

evt28.jpg

Good luck with that, many have tried...most fail

2 years now and nothing major except swapping out air shocks for new ones. Mechanical, nothing. Just normal maintenance but I have been about 8000 miles in 2 years also. Other than that, the car never leaves the garage. Not saying something can't break but so far, so good. I would get in it right now and not check nothing and drive to Cali without a worry. I had my 94 for 5 years and drove it 19K. I made it explode though. :p

2 years now and nothing major except swapping out air shocks for new ones. Mechanical, nothing. Just normal maintenance but I have been about 8000 miles in 2 years also. Other than that, the car never leaves the garage. Not saying something can't break but so far, so good. I would get in it right now and not check nothing and drive to Cali without a worry. I had my 94 for 5 years and drove it 19K. I made it explode though. :p
I got the itch to mod after I did the coil conversion 6 months ago..since then it's been: exhaust, elephant ear and snorkel delete, a tune, the headlights and next is the 3.73 gears with Trac Lok and J-Mod..soon the grill swap and Bank 1 IMRC vac r/r...the headlight mod is pretty much mandatory maintenance on these cars though
...I hope I don't regret the gear swap...total nut will be close to $900, parts and labor

Does it sound better now? You're gonna be unhappy with 3:73.. go 4:10.. , and then you'll want braces and a brake upgrade

Does it sound better now? You're gonna be unhappy with 3:73.. go 4:10.. , and then you'll want braces and a brake upgrade
yep, it breathes better now, def more 'whamph-whamph-whamph' at idle and deceleration....I got a good shop to cut this crossover in; the sofa king hillbilly also made my passenger tip run downhill; so maybe he'll make right on that or maybe I'll pay the other 30 to fix what I got;
- bracing? brakes? will prolly get that one-piece DS first; MMX? 'early' 93 only?
i dunno about the 3.73 vs 4.10; MOST of my driving is on the highway, at a stable 75 mph.... I'm trying to make this mule live a long, healthy life; I'd rather spin 2400 not 2800 rpms for 90 minutes/day...plus the mpg
...now to put in that new DB alternator, ease the whistles in my brain

I wouldn't go with a 93 shaft unless you plan on pushing 500+HP and doing speeds over 110 frequently

Its just not worth the $ to have the gears installed for 3:73, you're not going to notice that much difference, 4:10s are a good selection for these cars. A couple guys only noticed a couple MPG drop.

I'd stay away from your hillbilly exhaust guy, crooked tips and that X-pipe he made would be the last time he touched my ride

If I were you, in a 96, I'd spend a few bucks to have spares of the 96 specific pieces before you get all mod crazy

well, I ordered new FMS gears (3.73)...but there's a guy locally with used 4.10s and bearings...asking 100 obo...I guess I'll buy those too and wait to decide

UPDATE:
i found a deal I could not pass on: LN cond Ford MS, 7k miles, out of a Ranger

PC080031.jpg

the drone's not as bad now..for several reasons;
1) maybe I've gotten used to it?
but
2)in general the sound is a smoother rumble now; the x crossover allows much greater to/fro volume flow (scavenging?)...less fart-blast sounding..
3)also my tune changed the shift points; essentially the drone occurs around 12-1700 rpms; before the tune it dropped down into 4th real early, and down into the drone zone..now it winds 3rd gear for a long time....it sounds good now, the FM 40's are FINE
....if I had it to do over I might do a set up like NoLimit95 is talking about...x-crossover muffler at mid body, then MF's at the bumper
-I recently bought another 96 Mark, all stock..I like how QUIET it is now :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.
Back