file a complaint about your defective headlights

Filed also. Car has become totally undriveable in the rain, so i am re-chroming the insides right now. :)

ok, whats the best way to do that? is this a do it yourself type project or do i need to send the housing out to get this done?

I installed the driving lights behind the grill with a remote switch, OMG, it is like night and day-all together, I spent about $50 and it took about 45 minutes-I hate having to go through the extra step of having to switch off and on the lights, but on dark roads, it makes the Mark a normal car-I can actually see the road markings, and the curb, etc. BIG DIFFERENCE. I removed the bracing for the grill, now the lights are providing the support for the grill assymbly. The remote I bought has a built-in relay and is fused, so I went right to the battery posts for + and -, so it was easy. If you hate your lights (and, honestly, who doesn't?) you need to do this. I might go to the extra step and wire it into one of the fuses under the hood so that it only works when the ignition is on, but for now, I can drive it at night and actually see what I'm doing. YEA!!!!:) :) :) :) :D

I might go to the extra step and wire it into one of the fuses under the hood so that it only works when the ignition is on, but for now, I can drive it at night and actually see what I'm doing. YEA!!!!:) :) :) :) :D

I would just wire the relay trigger into the headlight bulb wire by the light and then you would have all the Mark VIII factory light features. It would be telling the relay when to turn the lights on at that point and you would not need to do wiring in the fuse box.

U Think This Will Work On 98 'gen 2's

I Mean It Is Goin To Be A 10yr(98 -2008) Old Car And Things Are Already Are Obsolete!

yeah you can see how mine were done in my gallery. it works great, and if you buy a good set of driving lights it works very well. like i said, mine are hella's but i dont know the exact model.

i originally was going to wire it to the pos wire on the low beam pos but instead just wired it to the battery and turn it off and on by the remote switch. The reason I changed my mind was, when I had my 93, I bought halogen bulbs that were 100 watt and they screwed up the auto lights to the point that it had to be disabled (always on, even with the key off). I remember the back of the connector being burned/melted and I replaced the headlight switch in the dashboard. I always blamed the extra wattage for that, and these foglights are 55 watts each and the silverstars are 60 watts-I prefer to keep these on seperate circuits, just switched so that when I turn off the ignition they have no power going to them. The remote setup has a built in relay, so if I wire it into one of the high powered fuses under the hood, it should not be an issue. I drove it tonight over 100 miles in the dark, and it was really nice for a change to see lane markers, and the white lines. I see no reason this wouldn't be a major improvement in any mark, but I thought that second Gens had HID's and were good as they were-why would you want to do this to a 98?

ah, my hella's have a relay. detect on from the harness, relay clicks and turns them on from a wire from the battery, my switch/stuff sees nothing.

I put my complaint in and put in the description (with a little bit of quote from Frat-man-du)

"Headlight housings reflective surface no longer reflective and plastic lenses on front of housings have become foggy. Light output with low beams is hardly more noticeable than driving with just parking lights. This makes for very poor night visibility due to severe degradation of OEM headlamp system and that this makes night driving dangerous if not impossible with out some sort of aftermarket lighting system or OEM replacements which will soon fail and cause the issue all over again. This is clearly a defect in workmanship and/or design flaw and Ford/Lincoln/Mercury needs to fix this issue with the 93-95 Mark VIII's with halogen bulbs systems before accidents are caused, lives lost and class action lawsuits begin."

Hope maybe at least we can get new headlight housings or better yet have the break out the molds for the 96 LSC HID housings and bring us in from a recall.

I'm not going to hold my breath though.

DarkStorm (Steve)
94 Opal Pearlescent Lincoln Mark VIII
with candles for headlights:(

Thanks! I pushed on this because I used to be a Parts and Service Engineer for Ford and know how the system works - if some mysterious preset number of complaints are received the NHTSA will flip a switch and the Light Fairy will put a gift under all our pillows!
Hey John Hubertz. Since you used to work for them have you heard of anything yet? I know this sticky has been here a long time but we've got to have at least 87 complaints so far.
Got any idea how many it takes to make the NHSTA switch on?

Steve

Members online

No members online now.
Back