Exhaust final approval....

ripped camel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I went to my local shop today and the guy told me that I should put a 2 1/4" dual in/dual out resonator in place of the 3rd cat instead of the 2 1/2" that supercoupe performance sells. He said he was able to get ahold of the 2 1/2" but told me that bigger isn't always better and that I'd be better having a uniform exhaust system (going with all 2 1/4" to match the factory pipe size. Does this sound about right?

He also said I should have him order round mufflers instead of oval. Is that also correct? I see the stock mufflers are round, but most aftermarket that people sell for our car look like miniature oval mufflers. Thoughts?

My thought is is this: You are the paying customer, therefore you tell him what you want, not he tells you want you want. 2 1/2 would be better from a future upgrades point of view, IMO.

The guy has a good point. Bigger isn't always better. The bigger the exhaust, the more low end you lose.

Ask him if he'll sell you his resonator at HIS price. This way you'll know if he's just trying to make a few extra bucks off you, or if he genuinely believes that 2¼ would be better.

The guy has a good point. Bigger isn't always better. The bigger the exhaust, the more low end you lose.

Ask him if he'll sell you his resonator at HIS price. This way you'll know if he's just trying to make a few extra bucks off you, or if he genuinely believes that 2¼ would be better.

Yeah he said the 2 1/2" he can get from his guy for the same price as he was charging me for the 2 1/4". He said it was my choice on which one I pick, but that it would be better to go with the 2 1/4" setup as it will match the system properly. But like he said I'm the one with the cash, so I'm the one that decides.

I think I'm going to go with the 2 1/4" but wanted to make sure there wasn't some special reason why supercoupe performance's pipe was 2 1/2" not the standard 2 1/4". That's the only thing that threw me off.

For a cat-back application, the difference between 2-1/4 and 2-1/2 don't mean diddly.

If you plan on getting rid of the factory manifolds and cats, then it's a different story.

Mufflers are like opinions, everyone has one. Research the best flowing mufflers and you'll see the same names time and again - Dynomax, Hooker, MagnaFlow and Borla.

Thanks driller.

I have the Magnaflow dual in/ dual out to replace the third cat, and I just ordered two rear Magnaflow mufflers.

Only step left is to have him craft my true dual setup and install it. I can't wait to see the difference.

Should I have my tune tweaked going from the regular base model dual/single/dual setup to the true dual setup? I didn't know if that would effect my a/f ratio at all being that it will be flowing MUCH better.

Should I have my tune tweaked going from the regular base model dual/single/dual setup to the true dual setup? I didn't know if that would effect my a/f ratio at all being that it will be flowing MUCH better.

Unless you go with headers your regular tune will be fine.

+1 for magnaflows.they sound great with a double or single x-pipe.nice and stealthy then when you mash the go pedal................:D :shifty:

+1 for magnaflows.they sound great with a double or single x-pipe.nice and stealthy then when you mash the go pedal................:D :shifty:

:) Good to know. I can't wait to get them on. Probably another week or two. I thought my Mustang exhaust would have sold faster. Damn weak economy!

2.5 is the way to go. On my 4Vs I have always had better luck with going larger. The tone is better as well. Down the road you can get some 2.5" high flow cats and it will flow great from the stock manifolds.
I am about to do my exhaust and am gonna have 2.5" pipes made to go from the cats (close to the cats as possiable) to the dual in/out 2.5" resonator with 2.5" pipes to the new mufflers.
The extra quarter inch may only add a couple more HP but will have a much nicer and deeper tone and have a nice power bump when the IMRC opens.

Members online

No members online now.
Back