EVAP solenoid with pics

ASMBLYLINE

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the tray down and found this
4571235b.gif

The part napa gave me looks like this
d9c540c0.gif

It us a ford part with a ford part number on it and when I searched that number it showed up on rock auto for a 98 mark viii. Any ideas?

That part Not All Parts Available gave you is the vent router that sits on top of the tank. That rusted solenoid is the part that sits on the EVAP tray and goes into the drivers side canister. So..... they gave ya the wrong part.

BTW, that one is for a 97 Mark tank. The 98 version has one less line and is a little smaller.

Can just snag a new solenoid off a JY car.

Thanks for the info laser but what I found was the part napa gave me is actually in the passenger side fender well next to the vacuum resivoir. And I think this was the problem causing the p0499 code. I swapped it and went for a ride and when pulled back into my driveway there was a foul smell coming from the car. Not really fuel smell almost like really really old bad fuel. So im hoping that is from build up of the vapors that never git vented maybe? And when I scanned the codes p0499 was gone. So I'm hoping this was the issue so she can get inspected and I can put my exhaust and tint on!

I completly diregaurded the mounting hole on that .... whatever they call it. The one on the tank looks almost identical just with a mounting post that faces down and has no bolt hole. My bad.

So the vent solenoid (the rusty part) is still working?

dude i get the same exact smell i know EXACTLY what you are describing, it smells like really strong tarnished gasoline, like in a dirt bike tank from 1973. i get it when its real hot out, and i am driving slow through a park or something similar, when i turn the ac on it gets even worse, then i get out on open road again and stomp on it and a few minutes later the smell is gone. this same smell started happening in my white 97 lsc back in 2005, but i parted the car out before i could figure out the smell!

Yup that's exactly what it smells like! From what I've been reading I guess that vent solenoid normally stays closed until you get to operating temp then it opens and vent vapor into the intake. I have never smelled it before until I put that new solenoid in. So I hope that's my issue.

Laser I have no idea if the one in the back is working. I would have thought that was the EVAP vent solenoid but according to rock auto they call the one in the fender well the EVAP canister vent solenoid. I can't find any info on the one in the back. I'll just have to see if the CEL light comes back on.

I can't find any info about the EVAP system as far as how it works, but in any case, the part you need is F7DZ-9F945-AB and is referred to as a "canister purge solenoid". Ford's retail is almost $100, but definitely check with Max first, assuming it's still available.

If that doesn't work, oddly enough it's available from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/F7dz9f945ab-Solenoid-Assembly-Oem-Ford/dp/B0042L1U34

The one you got from NAPA is F7DZ-9C915-AA and is called a "canister purge valve" in the service manual, and you correctly determined that it sits up front by the vacuum reservoir. RockAuto gets it wrong too. Go figure.

I hope you were able to get the hoses off without cutting them, because they're molded and long since discontinued, and regular vacuum hose isn't made for fuel vapors.

EDIT: Goddamned forum software. Can't I just post a link without it mucking up my post with some stupid box?
EDIT EDIT: Sorry, added a bit more info.

Thanks alot for all the info fellas. If my CEL comes back I'll be buying that from amazon.

I don't think that's the one. The one I showed in the pic came from the EVAP tray behind the tank. But I found out napa does have it 62 bucks. I'll have tomorrow. I have 54 miles since I cleared the codes with no light yet. How many miles does it take? I've heard 100, 150. I don't wanna bring it back to the inspection station till I'm sure it's straight.

Members online

Back