Engine rattles on startup

In the last six months I've replace the radiator, upper hose, thermostat & housing, DCCV, the degas bottle and cap. All of which have failed after the initial overheating problem. The lower hose and water pump are all that's left. I'm probably going to change the water pump anyway because its inexpensive and relatively easy but it would be great if that eliminates the rattle as well. The car runs amazing so I hate to give up on it.

Next step: replace the water pump. Since I'm opening the cooling system I'm replacing all the rubber and plastic, except the DCCV. Dealer wanted about 2 grand to replace the water pump and the large hoses, plus the thermostat plastic. That doesn't include replacing any of the small hoses or anything else. I decided that instead I'd just order the parts and do it myself, so I have a ####load of new parts enroute. Will do the work next week provided they arrive before Tuesday seeing as my days off are Tue-Thu.

Next step: replace the water pump. Since I'm opening the cooling system I'm replacing all the rubber and plastic, except the DCCV. Dealer wanted about 2 grand to replace the water pump and the large hoses, plus the thermostat plastic. That doesn't include replacing any of the small hoses or anything else. I decided that instead I'd just order the parts and do it myself, so I have a ####load of new parts enroute. Will do the work next week provided they arrive before Tuesday seeing as my days off are Tue-Thu.

Dealer charged me about $200 to change my water pump. How can it be so much more to do the housing and hoses unless I'm missing something??

Dealer charged me about $200 to change my water pump. How can it be so much more to do the housing and hoses unless I'm missing something??

I hope that was a typo. $2000? I wonder if he got to sleep with the mechanic's daughter.

2006 Lincoln LS in Cashmere Tri-Coat Metallic.

Well, there is a fair amount of extra labor involved. Replacing the riser tube from the water pump to the coolant outlet pipe as well as one of the throttle body heater hoses requires that the intake manifold be removed, for example.
(I agree the price is high when you can DIY it all in half a day, but it's not that out of line for dealer rates.)

I noticed oil on my a/c compressor. The a/c still works, so now I'm wondering if this is the root cause of my problem???

I noticed oil on my a/c compressor. The a/c still works, so now I'm wondering if this is the root cause of my problem???

Maybe, maybe not. Neither of mine made any noise when I discovered them leaking. I quickly changed them out. If you let it run out of oil, it will contaminate the whole system when it fails, and the cost to repair will go way way up.

Am I safe as long as I don't turn the a/c on? I have no clue how long it's been leaking

I hope that was a typo. $2000? I wonder if he got to sleep with the mechanic's daughter.

Nope. It was 1600 to replace the water pump, plastic parts and the upper rad hose. When I asked about the rest of it the price went up. This does not include the option of sleeping with anyone, although the quote did sound like I was being invited to play target at a butt dart tournament.

I thought I had a problem with the cam system for a while. But, I would put patroleum jelly on the serp. belt and it would mostly go away. The belt has no cracks and no glazing. Now, I have put WD-40 on the belt and there is no noise at all. I am going to replace the belt and check the pulleys after I recover from changing the DCCV.

This is what it was like before the WD-40.

Ticking noise of Lincoln LS Gen II - YouTube

This is what it is like after the WD-40.

No ticking noise of Lincoln LS Gen II after WD-40 - YouTube

that sounds like an elongated belt... makes sense that anything petroleum-based would help as a stopgap fix. good idea

So amongst all these post... Have we yet figured out the problem? I will be posting a video today, when I get off as to the sound im having... Because I want the noise gone! and Im pretty darn sure, I am experiencing the same sound here. and I have 05 with 118K.

Its only at first start up, cooler engine as if 30 to 50 temp. and last only 3sec. Even if I directly shut engine off after and start it up again, it wont do it. just after sitting for a bit...

We have got to solve this!!

So amongst all these post... Have we yet figured out the problem? I will be posting a video today, when I get off as to the sound im having... Because I want the noise gone! and Im pretty darn sure, I am experiencing the same sound here. and I have 05 with 118K.

Its only at first start up, cooler engine as if 30 to 50 temp. and last only 3sec. Even if I directly shut engine off after and start it up again, it wont do it. just after sitting for a bit...

We have got to solve this!!

If its going away that fast, it seems like something is heating and expanding in 3 sec. That sounds like heat shield. It could happen that fast.

If its going away that fast, it seems like something is heating and expanding in 3 sec. That sounds like heat shield. It could happen that fast.

Or the oil is now making it's way through the engine. What weight oil are you using?

If its going away that fast, it seems like something is heating and expanding in 3 sec. That sounds like heat shield. It could happen that fast. 2006 Lincoln LS in Cashmere Tri-Coat Metallic.

True, however iv heard of the rattle you trying to convey before. this sound does not sound like that... this sounds more internal. by the time I get the car started and get my lard ass to the front of car the noise gone... its like a broken lifter or rod bouncing around...

Or the oil is now making it's way through the engine. What weight oil are you using?

Just did an oil change Saturday, using mobil 1 full syn 5-20, purealotor filter. maybe put 30 miles on the new oil...

I'm in the middle of a water pump change, missed a couple of gaskets that I just got in today. Unfortunately the weather crapped out on me. So much for global warming, it's about 50 degrees colder out there than it normally is this time of year. When I spun the water pump by hand I could hear a light bearing click in there so I'm hoping that's it. Barring any more problems, I should have it back together and bled out next week.

I would like to say I'd love to shake the neck of the engineer that designed this cooling system. I swear they took measurements to make certain that this stuff would be hard to do. And who makes a plastic part that would be subject to heat cycles and put it under strong tension from the thermostat? No wonder they fail out so quickly.

True, however iv heard of the rattle you trying to convey before. this sound does not sound like that... this sounds more internal. by the time I get the car started and get my lard ass to the front of car the noise gone... its like a broken lifter or rod bouncing around...

Just did an oil change Saturday, using mobil 1 full syn 5-20, purealotor filter. maybe put 30 miles on the new oil...

Yeah, I wasn't saying he had the sound of mine after he said it wasnt. I have heard that sound before but it was caused by a broken wrist pin but that was on an old engine.

I'm in the middle of a water pump change, missed a couple of gaskets that I just got in today. Unfortunately the weather crapped out on me. So much for global warming, it's about 50 degrees colder out there than it normally is this time of year. When I spun the water pump by hand I could hear a light bearing click in there so I'm hoping that's it. Barring any more problems, I should have it back together and bled out next week.

I would like to say I'd love to shake the neck of the engineer that designed this cooling system. I swear they took measurements to make certain that this stuff would be hard to do. And who makes a plastic part that would be subject to heat cycles and put it under strong tension from the thermostat? No wonder they fail out so quickly.

I have the same complaint with the cooling system. Look at the system used in the F series trucks, its rubber hoses with metal the way it should be.

But oh well. Lots of newer vehicles are the same way.

Sounds like the starter to me. Like the gear isn't retracting correctly.

See, I thought the same thing... however someone on here tried that by cleaning out the starter and they ended up replacing starter... and still had their noise... although they did not post a sound clip so could be a different problem...

I'm still a newbie with the L's. So a little nervous when tearing them apart unless I'm pretty sure i know what im doing... a new world for me...

If someone could point me in the direction I'd be glad to take the starter off and see if its not disengaging properly...

Members online

No members online now.
Back