Engine rattles on startup

That doesn't sound good at all! Engine mount??????

I had a engine mount go on my 95 camaro and that was something totally different than what happening here... I've been wrong before.

How or why could a engine mount make such a nasty noise? Only on start up?

Tomorrow I'll try to post up another video maybe a little more clearer...

I got the car like this BTW. So I don't even know if its running great or sluggish as if it out of timing...

Just throwing that out there too.

I had a engine mount go on my 95 Camaro and that was something totally different than what happening here... I've been wrong before.

How or why could a engine mount make such a nasty noise? Only on start up?

Tomorrow I'll try to post up another video maybe a little more clearer...

I got the car like this BTW. So I don't even know if its running great or sluggish as if it out of timing...

Just throwing that out there too.

I was thinking that as the engine moves when you start it then settles back down a broken mount might make that noise. It was a long shot in the dark but I think (for what it's worth) Joe has the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBDBHtDmjp0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ok here's the rattle I get. I know I combined 2 different words Lol... but listen close because its quick.

Sounds like the starter to me. Like the gear isn't retracting correctly.

makes the same sound of a stretched timing chain, secondary tensioner on it's way out.
however, the sound does not persist ... goes away immediately ... leaving further possibilities.

~ Interesting

----EDIT:

@ least it's not this problem: http://youtu.be/Iv_-tN6WBFc?t=49s

+1 on starter.
I don't think there's a way to observe the starter in operation on these things, though. Just have to pull, inspect and clean. Can take it to a parts store and have them bench test it, and you can see if the gear is hanging up on itself then.
Removing the starter isn't too terrible. Just make sure to disconnect the battery first. ;)

See, I thought the same thing... however someone on here tried that by cleaning out the starter and they ended up replacing starter... and still had their noise... although they did not post a sound clip so could be a different problem...

I'm still a newbie with the L's. So a little nervous when tearing them apart unless I'm pretty sure i know what im doing... a new world for me...

If someone could point me in the direction I'd be glad to take the starter off and see if its not disengaging properly...

I think that there are a number of different sounds and different problems being discussed in this thread. That said, no I am not 100% certain that is the starter. If it were mine, I would pull the starter off and see if the solenoid works were gummed up or otherwise not moving smoothly.

+1 on starter.
I don't think there's a way to observe the starter in operation on these things, though. Just have to pull, inspect and clean. Can take it to a parts store and have them bench test it, and you can see if the gear is hanging up on itself then.
Removing the starter isn't too terrible. Just make sure to disconnect the battery first. ;)

Gosh guys I really hope its the starter! I do not want to rebuild the timing on this engine! It looks hard! Or time tasking...

But next Saturday I'm off and I'll to take a Wack at it then.

Can you not isolate the sound when it's being started ?
I mean, you must be able to listen/feel/look around when it's happening.

3037020.jpg

It's got to be possible to find the noise, or at least get closest to it.

Can you not isolate the sound when it's being started ?
I mean, you must be able to listen/feel/look around when it's happening.

3037020.jpg

It's got to be possible to find the noise, or at least get closest to it.

its kinda hard for me to localize the sound, I live a lone and by the time I start it up and run to the front the sound is gone...

I lucked out with the short clip, my little brother was in town yesterday...

But Ill try in the mean time to localize the sound...

Did I mention, that right after the rattle, I can shut the car off and it wont do it again??

For example...

Wake up, start it up, (rattle). Go to the store and Spend 15 min. (no rattle) start up go home.

Mow the lawn 1-2 hrs later start up (rattle).

Another scenario

First start up (Rattle) immediately shut car off. No hesitation start car back up (no rattle)...

Did I mention, that right after the rattle, I can shut the car off and it wont do it again??

For example...

Wake up, start it up, (rattle). Go to the store and Spend 15 min. (no rattle) start up go home.

Mow the lawn 1-2 hrs later start up (rattle).

Another scenario

First start up (Rattle) immediately shut car off. No hesitation start car back up (no rattle)...

Sure sounds (to me) like the starter is hanging when "cold".

Damn. Wasn't the water pump as it still clatters. Also running Mobil 1 0W30 now. So at this point the water pump, tensioner and idler pulleys and the belt have been replaced. All that leaves is the power steering pump, the AC compressor and the timing chain crap.

On the plus side, the bearings in the old water pump had a rough patch in them, the degas bottle was cracked in a half dozen places looking much like the one BigRigLS posted, the plastic part of the upper radiator hose had a seeping leak right on the freakin' top in that little rough patch they have and the thermostat housing had a busted tab in it so the cooling system should be good. I'd love to meet the moron engineer that designed that thermostat assembly and give him a severe beating too. all that tension on a piece of plastic that undergoes thousands of pressure changes AND heat cycles? Why not just use a regular thermostat like BILLIONS of cars use every day that has all the spring tension held within the thermostat itself? And, standard thermostat assemblies are lighter than that assemble-it-yourself POS to boot. At least the bleed procedure wasn't as arduous as I thought it would be, bled it out first go, no problems. Aside from assembling the thermostat the job itself was simple too, didn't even need a manual to knock the job out.

... I'd love to meet the moron engineer that designed that thermostat assembly and give him a severe beating too. all that tension on a piece of plastic that undergoes thousands of pressure changes AND heat cycles? Why not just use a regular thermostat like BILLIONS of cars use every day that has all the spring tension held within the thermostat itself? ...

It could be worse. My 325i has an electric heater element inside the thermostat. (Something about it allowing the PCM to set the engine to different temperatures depending on conditions...)

Have not done anything yet. I will get the car on ramps and have someone start it so I can isolate it and get an idea of what it is.

Have not done anything yet. I will get the car on ramps and have someone start it so I can isolate it and get an idea of what it is.

Ok, Im going to do the same today... hopefully since we are having the same issues, we can figure out this sound....

Getting a couple parts to finish my brakes today and after, I will put the car up on the stands and listen...

Im really hopping its a hanging starter, I don't have the time or money for anything else...

thank you guys for being the guinea pigs!
I worry that the sound is getting worse on my 03

Havnt really had the chance to inspect it yet...I did try a couple things to narrow it down...

so let me make sure you experiencing the same thing we are...

start up; up to 3 sec of rattle goes away, only does if car has sat for longer than 1 hr., if you immediately shut it off after the rattle it wont do it again till you let it sit for a hr or longer, seems like the passenger side, no power loss, does not do it while running ever.

no sure if I actually have power loss or not... actually... I bought the car this way... so I have no idea what is what you know what I mean? I cant brake the tires loose unless its wet or power braking... IMO at 280hp they should chirp at the very least. but IDK...

meeting with a fellow member (gilby) this weekend, he is going to help me get to the bottom of this!! Major thanks to him!! its just hard since I have no help...

Havnt really had the chance to inspect it yet...I did try a couple things to narrow it down...

so let me make sure you experiencing the same thing we are...

start up; up to 3 sec of rattle goes away, only does if car has sat for longer than 1 hr., if you immediately shut it off after the rattle it wont do it again till you let it sit for a hr or longer, seems like the passenger side, no power loss, does not do it while running ever.

no sure if I actually have power loss or not... actually... I bought the car this way... so I have no idea what is what you know what I mean? I cant brake the tires loose unless its wet or power braking... IMO at 280hp they should chirp at the very least. but IDK...

Mine will not break loose on a hot day because the surface is so abrasive around here and the hotter it gets the less likely it will. One thing I notice is at 52000 miles there is still no slack in the driveline. I wonder if that may have something to do with it.

I feel its because of the tall gear ratio in the rear end.

and yes, bigwayner, I have that exact issue. lately its been hot so it doesn't do it everytime regardless of how long it sits

Maybe a faulty injector or moisture in the gas tank burning off causing the rattle at start up. There are several products available to illuminate this.

Members online

No members online now.
Back