dies when put into gear

209 Mark

LVC Member
Reaction score
when i start my car it idles slighty rough and when i put it into gear it dies right away..... and im not getting a check engine light. any ideas as to why this would happen, fuel filter? fuel pump? egr ? the only thing i have done to my car is replace the transmission i had a shop do it and its still under warranty but i dont know if a tranny problem would cause?my car to die

after the tranny never done it before. but i was reading somewhere about a shift solenoid or something

Take it back to the shop and tell them something isnt right and it didnt do that when you brought it to them to have the trans work done. Let them figure it out.

Take it back to the shop and tell them something isnt right and it didnt do that when you brought it to them to have the trans work done. Let them figure it out.

yes if its a trans problem... but if my fuel pump is going out or something like that i dont expect them to fix and that had nothing to do with a tranny

It's easy enough to test that. There's a schrader valve on the fuel rail that you can put a gauge on. I'd say they own whatever it is.

torque converter locking up?? TCC sol??

yea thats what i think it is too.... im gonna take it back to the shop and see exactly what they replaced, cause i told them that the trans was from a 98 and the internal electronics are different from a 94 transmission

yea thats what i think it is too.... im gonna take it back to the shop and see exactly what they replaced, cause i told them that the trans was from a 98 and the internal electronics are different from a 94 transmission

I'd say you have a winner!
Nolimit did this swap himself. It wouldn't hurt to breeze through his posts on the subject to gain a little insight.

If your car is starting up it shouldnt be the fuel pump. Test at the sharderel valve. Remove the beauty cover and look for a little valve cap.

check idle air control sensor. it is on top of the motor. if you have a gen2 it is front your face. tap a couple of times the idle may change $50 part at auto zone.

I Started mine the other day took it for a ride down the street, and as i slowed down it stalled.. started it back up and in park and neutral it was fine, kinda had to give it gas to start it off so it would not stall, sometimes at a stop light while stopped of course. the rpms would go up and down sometimes was kinda wierd.. Might be Related to may be similar to 209 mark's problem.. I'll look up the idle air control sensor and I was going to get a new Fuel pump also walbro 155 lph and hope it make s a differance with hesitation..

I Started mine the other day took it for a ride down the street, and as i slowed down it stalled.. started it back up and in park and neutral it was fine, kinda had to give it gas to start it off so it would not stall, sometimes at a stop light while stopped of course. the rpms would go up and down sometimes was kinda wierd.. Might be Related to may be similar to 209 mark's problem.. I'll look up the idle air control sensor and I was going to get a new Fuel pump also walbro 155 lph and hope it make s a differance with hesitation..

Huh. My '96 does exactly the same thing. I haven't replaced the IAC or TPS yet. But those are my suspects at this time. If you figure anything out, let me know. I'll do the same.:)

Alright man will do, I mean I really have not run the car in a long time but it use to do that even when I did drove it every day, so hopefully it is something simple and I def don't want to drop the Transmission!

So you had a 98 trans put into a 94 and those guys knew nothing about re-pinning the harness or didn't do the internal electrical swap? If so, that's the problem. When you put it into gear, it's probably going straight into 3rd and from an idle, that will kill the engine. Swapping the internals wouldn't be fun upside down but it could be done and you would need the wiring harness off the 94 trans that you had taken out. It could all be done in less than an hour.

My 94 had that problem too. Ran good while it was cold but when it warmed up and I let off the gas, it would stall out on me. At idle, it would run good for a second and then start acting up. It drove me crazy trying to figure out what it was and finally, it ended up like this.

Fire002.jpg

It did look like this at one time lol.

ChristmasDay015.jpg

I then converted the body looks over to an LSC

OutsideShots008-2.jpg

Just make sure to leave the injectors alone lol. I'm glad it blew up now. I lost sleep every night wondering what it was that made it stall out. I changed IAC, TPS, battery, alternator, pvc valve, MAF, coils, plugs, wires but I really think it was coming down to one of the cats. I think the third one.

Huh. My '96 does exactly the same thing. I haven't replaced the IAC or TPS yet. But those are my suspects at this time. If you figure anything out, let me know. I'll do the same.:)

If you swap the TPS, go for the IAC while you're at it. It's much easier with the TB off and if you have help, take the hood off too. Makes it even easier. Faulty TPS can cause stupid things to happen.

Yeah just throw parts at it, then more parts, spend 1000$ then take it to someone who knows what to look for with a scanner and fix it the first time for less. Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, looking a long term fuel trim will tell you if it lean or rich. Also does it idle low to begin with then die when put in gear, or idle fine then kill instantly, if you foot brake it will it stay alive. solenoids could not be problem whether it be reverse 1,2,3,4 it ain't turning and TC absorbs rpm. Now if pcm does not get coreect info from the MLP sensor, it may not know you put it into gear, your tranny shop should be able to monitor this in PID data to see if its D when put into drive.

Early 90's and late 80's 5.0 trucks with e40d trans would die if they are low on trans fluid. Had a guy going to Mexico and had his buddies replace all kinds of tune up parts to correct the dying. Took one look at it, went back into the shop and put in 2 qts of oil and fixed it. Saved him more money and he went to Mexico and back without any problems.

Don't think this is your problem though, sorry. I wonder if the TP sensor wiring got jostled in removing the trans or the boot over the TB got jostled.

The problem is, is that someone installed a 98 trans into a Gen1 Mark and didn't know what they were doing. You don't just slap it in and let them go. It don't work like that, much more to it. Most places don't even know to turn off an air ride when you take it in, it's doubtful they would know about re-pinning a wiring harness or swapping electrical internals over from the Gen1 into the 98 trans.

My 94 had that problem too. Ran good while it was cold but when it warmed up and I let off the gas, it would stall out on me. At idle, it would run good for a second and then start acting up. It drove me crazy trying to figure out what it was and finally, it ended up like this.

Fire002.jpg

It did look like this at one time lol.

ChristmasDay015.jpg

I then converted the body looks over to an LSC

OutsideShots008-2.jpg

Just make sure to leave the injectors alone lol. I'm glad it blew up now. I lost sleep every night wondering what it was that made it stall out. I changed IAC, TPS, battery, alternator, pvc valve, MAF, coils, plugs, wires but I really think it was coming down to one of the cats. I think the third one.

Damn Every time I seen them pics it scares me.. I wouldnt want to get caught behind the wheel of it on fire like that, you were lucky man that you made it out ok. my car has been sitting since Oct but I start it and take ti for a ride every now and then.. but always keep the Battery Disconnected in the mean time..

Mine does the up and down thing too at idle. It happens sporadically though. I also noticed sometimes I'll hit the gas and it acts as though I'm not touching the gas and then by itself realizes I have the gas half throttle and responds accordingly.

Ever figure out what your issue was?

Members online

Back