Dash Warning Lights

Duck

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I know this should be in the Town Car forum, but you guys are savvy and there is more traffic here.
Driving the 01 Town car tonight and all of my warning lights came on and stayed on all the way home!!:eek: I have restarted it several times and they are staying on. Whats weird is they do not come on with the key on now, only after it starts!!
Everything seems to work and I checked under the hood with a flashlight, but could find anything wrong.

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe alternator, but haven't checked it yet.

My first thought would probably be the ignition switch, or maybe ignition tumbler assembly. Does the ignition feel normal when you start it and release the key?

Switch feels fine. I turned down a street and they all came on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Check that alternator voltage. I just went through some weird flickering from a bad alternator but never once did I see the battery light come on. New alternator and battery and all is good again. If all of that is good with yours, I would pull positive off the battery for about 5 minutes and then reconnect again. Let the computer clear out.

No Codes?

The alternators are easy to pull and get tested, they allways do the weirdest stuff when there about to die so I would at least give it a shot.

When you have a lot of warning lights, you should start checking your charging system. Another vote to test the alt and battery.

Check that alternator voltage. I just went through some weird flickering from a bad alternator but never once did I see the battery light come on. New alternator and battery and all is good again. If all of that is good with yours, I would pull positive off the battery for about 5 minutes and then reconnect again. Let the computer clear out.

You sure your battery light is good?

I know this should be in the Town Car forum, but you guys are savvy and there is more traffic here.
Driving the 01 Town car tonight and all of my warning lights came on and stayed on all the way home!!:eek: I have restarted it several times and they are staying on. Whats weird is they do not come on with the key on now, only after it starts!!
Everything seems to work and I checked under the hood with a flashlight, but could find anything wrong.

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe alternator, but haven't checked it yet.

Bad grounding sounds like. I would take a closer look around thoroughly for the ground wires. Some may be hidden from plain sight. For instance on my 1994 Mark 8, there is a huge plastic panel under the hood that goes across the whole width of the car. It covers the headlights and radiator area. Under that there are two crucial ground cables one above each headlight that ground the upper radiator support x-member. I forgot to re-attach one while working on something, started it, the whole car went nuts. Idle was going way up and down, shaking like crazy, lights flashing, chiming. Re-attached and was back to normal. I since then an located all the grounds, cleaned the connectors, and scraped away old paint that was there. I also added an extra ground cable off the negative battery terminal to that cross member where those two cables ground to. So check/clean your grounds and keep your batt terminals clean. I had an issue with my truck once, had a 1 semi broken ground wire hidden behind the battery, had to pull it out to find. So you got to be a good detective! Hope that helps you.

Members online

Back