Daniel's Silver Frost LSC#1 Progress

Yes, you had the o-ring on the wrong side.

Okay, I got it all put back together! Thanks again!

Not sure which fuse location it is though for the alt or which relay it is.

I will look for my disc and check the repair manual, I don't have an owners manual at the moment!!! Do you know if there is a way to test a relay or do I just have to replace it to find out whether it is good or bad?

Thanks Bill! I finally got to drive the car home tonight!!! I found out that I had the wire that bolts to the back of the fuse box, bolted somewhere else!!! Don't know how I managed that one!!! But anyways it is fixed and the Crown Vic alternator is the one that works!!

I have been having overheating issues since I got it running though! I replaced the thermostat correctly, thanks to Laser guiding me through it! But I still can run it for about ten to fifteen minutes and it will start overheating and pushing pressure and water out of the cap on the water tank! I know the trick to getting the cap on right without cross threading it, but it is building up that much heat and steam and pressure that it still blows out of the cap! I had the cap off of the cross over tube while I filled it up, then ran it for about ten minutes with it off and topped it off through the cross over tube. Then I will put both caps back on and wait about ten more minutes and it will get so hot that it starts shooting out of the tank!

I don't know why, but my fan will not stay running! When I crank the car up it runs for about a minute, then it cuts off and will not turn back on! Even when it gets so hot that it is spewing out of the tank, the fan will not kick back on. I think that my temp guage is not reading accurately because not once has it told me that it was overheating, when I think it actually was! I plan on changing the coolant temp. sensor in the morning! Would that be a good start for that problem? Any input would be grateful! Thanks for all of the other help!

Thanks again,
Daniel

Sounds like a VCRM. Then again it may not be over heating. It may be a blown head gasket. What you need to do is cool it down, start it up and after a few minutes take the cap off the surge tank. Gotta do it in no wind conditions and what you are looking for is a wisp of smoke coming out when you remove the cap. Also if you have coolant in there then go smell your tail pipes. If they smell sweet then you have a blown head gasket.

Then again you may not have burped it right. Fill up the system, top off the surge tank, put the cap on, take the crossover cap off, start the car and continue to fill from the crossover cap.

I may have put the t-stat housing upside down! Does the angled side go up or down? There is only one way to put the front/back because the hose size is different. But I don't really know what is up and what is down. I dont remembe because I did'nt pay attention to which direction the thermostat was facing!

I may have put the t-stat housing upside down! Does the angled side go up or down? There is only one way to put the front/back because the hose size is different. But I don't really know what is up and what is down. I dont remembe because I did'nt pay attention to which direction the thermostat was facing!

Never mind that! I see now that they too are a different size hose! So they can only go on one way. I have a new water pump but the old one spins freely and looks good on the inside. I thought that might be the reason since the motor sat for about two years, but I guess not. I really wish I could tell if this old one is was good/bad because I could use the 50 bucks for something else! But with them in my hand it is doing the exact same thing as the new one, I am just not sure how it will act under a load! Once I get all of this back together I will then see if it is a blown head gasket! If it is I swear I am done and selling this car to the junk yard and taking a 1200 dollar loss! I can't afford to fix a head gasket! It's over with, I been putting time and money into this car for the past two months and can't go on! Just sitting here hoping it's not the head gasket!!!

I just want to add some trans knowledge. Some 4r70w transmissions have a tc with a drain. I have never seen one in a m8, but a car can be started with a dry tc. However, you need to have fluid in the pan so the pump the draw it into the trans. Next thing, the snout on the tc that is circular with 2 flat spots on it is the part that drives the pump, dry or not, the pump is driven by the tc case which is bolted to the flex plate. The splines on the inside of the tc is what drives the input shaft into the trans. Consider yourselves educated :D

I just want to add some trans knowledge. Some 4r70w transmissions have a tc with a drain. I have never seen one in a m8, but a car can be started with a dry tc. However, you need to have fluid in the pan so the pump the draw it into the trans. Next thing, the snout on the tc that is circular with 2 flat spots on it is the part that drives the pump, dry or not, the pump is driven by the tc case which is bolted to the flex plate. The splines on the inside of the tc is what drives the input shaft into the trans. Consider yourselves educated :D

Ok thanks man! The pan was completely full before I even cranked it up!

If thats the case, then you did perfectly fine. The pump would have never been dry.

Well, I am stumped about this over heating issue! I did not smell anything like coolant coming out of the exhaust and I also am not getting any anti-freeze in my oil! I am hoping that it is not a blown head gasket! I do not have the time or place to drop the engine again! Or MONEY!!! But anyways, Here are my steps for filling up the car with coolant.

I filled up the reservoir with the car turned off! It drained down about three times and I kept filling it back up until it stayed full! Then I put the top back on the reservoir and cranked up the car. I took off the cap from my crossover tube! I continued to fill it up until it was running over! I let it run with the cap off for about five to ten minutes and put the cap back on it!!! After about five to ten minutes it starts to leak back out of the reservoir cap! WTF! It gets so damn hot! And really quick! It has been pretty cool outside too. So I dont know WTF is going on!

As for my fan. If the VCRM was bad would'nt it affect my fuel pump also? Is there a way to test the VCRM? AND How do I find out which one I will need? Does it have to match up with my ECU? I think I broke my fan, because I noticed that the motor was on in the fan and it was'nt spinning! When I inspected it, there was a bracket/hanger for my wiring harness stuck in the fan and I believe it was blocking it from spinning and broke it! I will mess with it again in the morning! Once I find out how to match my VCRM I will go and see if the one at the JY is the same and grab it! Even if I don't need it I am going to get the ECU also! Everything I might need!

Yes, you had the o-ring on the wrong side.

Not sure which fuse location it is though for the alt or which relay it is.

would the o ring on the wrong side cause the car to over heat? i think i may have put mine on wrong but i dont got any leaks at all...

If the fan doesn't work it'll over heat quick at idle, if the t-stat isn't leaking then it's together right, if that o-ring is in wrong it WILL leak,

There's a sticker on the driver side fender with the directions on how to manage your coolant refill, it's right by the coolant resevoir...if you don't have it I'll C/P it
for you here

Sounds like a VCRM. Then again it may not be over heating. It may be a blown head gasket. What you need to do is cool it down, start it up and after a few minutes take the cap off the surge tank. Gotta do it in no wind conditions and what you are looking for is a wisp of smoke coming out when you remove the cap. Also if you have coolant in there then go smell your tail pipes. If they smell sweet then you have a blown head gasket.

Then again you may not have burped it right. Fill up the system, top off the surge tank, put the cap on, take the crossover cap off, start the car and continue to fill from the crossover cap.

Fock, You are pretty good Laser!!! I guess this piece of :q:q:q:q has a blown head gasket!!! I am about to take this b!tch to the junk yard if it does. I was burbing it and had the cap off of the crossover tube and it was overflowing out of it so it was steaming at the front of the engine. Just as soon as I put the cap back on then it started smoking at the back of the engine!! Right at the back of my intake, closer to passenger side head!!!

I am giving it one last chance! I am going to take the manifold off and see if it is the little black hose under there! I did not replace that hose and it could be punctured! Who knows!!! If that does'nt fix it then I am throwing in the towel.. Will be parting out a pretty nice Mark 8!!!

Sounds like it may just be the heater lines. Usually the drivers head lets go, not the passenger head when it comes to head gaskets.
The line under the plenum is not prone to leak. Never heard of a single instance when somebodies was leaking.

You are filling the coolant incorrectly. Assuming you have a correct thermostat in there, do this:

First, take the reservoir cap off, and the crossover tube plug out. Fill thru crossover tube until the reservoir is at the cold level line. Tighten the cap on the reservoir, keep filling thru the crossover tube inlet, until it's full. Do it slowly. Cap it and start the engine. I've been filling the 4.6 DOHC engines this way for the last 10 years, and have yet to run into any issues.

Well, I put a newer reservoir cap on and it is no longer seeping out around it anymore! I still am getting smoke coming from the back of the engine when I have both of the caps on the reservoir/crossover tube!!! When I drove it for about ten twenty minutes and shut it off, I could hear a hiss coming from under the intake manifold!!! The hiss sound is just like when you have a cracked radiator and you shut your car off after driving it around.

I am going to take the intake off later on today and try not to take off the IMRC's so that I don't have to replace the lower gasket! Only because I don't have the money to buy another set. All I have the money for is the top ones. But anyways I am going to take that off and replace that hose under there!!! Cross my fingers and pray that it works!!!

I have'nt seen the guage get in the hot area yet though.
I am also interested in what would make the teperature guage not work properly!! I put a brand new coolant temp. sensor on the front of the crossover tube! Is there any other thing I can check to make sure that the temp guage is working???

Yeah, you aint over heating, you are leaking. Bet ya a dollar its the heater hoses.

Yeah, you aint over heating, you are leaking. Bet ya a dollar its the heater hoses.

I'm trippin on the hissing sound coming from the under the front of the intake and the water boiling over so hot that it makes my reservoir knock like someone is hitting it with a stick, but the temp guage is only right above half!!!LOL

Oh yeah, Do you know which cylinder is #1? I have a misfire on cylinder #1 and don't know the order of the cylinders!!! Thanks Bill, you are really alot of help on here dude! I am going to check/change the hoses in the morning!!!

Last edited:
Passenger front is #1

Thought you said the hissing was coming from behind the passenger head?

thats where the smoke was coming from. I just found the hissing today!!! I put on a new reservoir cap and it quit leaking out of that and started hissing under the front of the intake. But it is still smoking in the back near the passenger valve cover!!!

Well I don't know what is up!!! I am still hearing the hissing sound coming from under the intake! I have'nt taken the intake off yet! But, I have not had any overheating or boiling over issues all day! I drove the car all day today and it ran just fine. I have a few codes though! One for the IAC, Two having to do with the EGR and one for an o2 sensor! I did an EGR and AIR injection delete, so that is why I have that code!!! I will need an IAC and o2 sensor though!!!

ADDED: Oh and need to find out about the hissing sound under the intake!!! Has me worried!!!

pull the intake off, there is a coolant line that runs under the intake through the valley ontop of the engine block, its part rubber part metal. i'll put money on it that is where youre leak is, it runs from the front of the block to the back and goes into the rear of the pass side head.only way to get it is is pull the intake.

Well now I have done burned up my FUGGIN fuel pump!! I was taking the intake off and it started to sprinkle so I hooked the battery back up and turned the key over to roll up the windows! Well I had the Fuggin fuel lines taken off of the fuel rail already and I guess not having no back pressure on the lines it burned the pump up! Or worse fugged up some of that other stuff that goes along with the fuel pump system!! I have no clue but it sprayed fuel out of the lines then but after I get it together I am getting no pressure to the rail!!!! WTF I need the car for my daughters DR. appointment tomorrow to get her last examination so she can start Head start! I really needed to take care of all of that so she can go to school so my wife can get a job and help me out a little bit! Man I am sick of this :q:q:q:q!!!

I'm cool if it is only the fuel pump but if it is the computer or some of that other :q:q:q:q than I am screwed!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back