Custom Exhaust

you can do all the same mods for the V6 that we do for the V8 - intake, exhaust, exterior, interior, XCal, brakes, springs, ....etc

sometimes the parts are exactly the same, sometimes there are unique parts for the V6 - but it's all there.

cool

Wow, thx for the fast answer... ur quick. Ha ha heh...

How bout this LSKoncepts site???

Reliable and good?

AND i would like some rims, but the ones i saw on that site were uh, slightly out of my price range right now. U know of another site or two i could check out for decent wheels??

Yep Ken at LSKoncepts is the best.

the rims are harder to find - it's the 60mm offset - but many Fords, Volvos used the same pattern for years now. I'm using the stock 17" so I haven't spent any time rim shopping - but there are many on this board that have.

odubnate said:
Wow, thx for the fast answer... ur quick. Ha ha heh...

How bout this LSKoncepts site???

Reliable and good?

AND i would like some rims, but the ones i saw on that site were uh, slightly out of my price range right now. U know of another site or two i could check out for decent wheels??

Yea Ken at LSKoncepts is really good and there is plenty of stuff there for you ls.

Side mounted tips

Ok sorry to resurrect this one, even though it hasn't been too long. I had an idea for a little bit of a different look on the exhaust, but I'm not sure. I'm not even sure that this is possible, but I'm curious. Could I custom make some kind of exhaust setup that would result in tips sticking out behind the rear wheels (on the sides of the car). Of course the main problem with this is that the mufflers sit directly where the pipes would need to come out.

Here was my thought, what about getting one of the mufflers like the camaro ones that have an exhaust outlet on the same side as the inlet? Could I mount the muffler further towards the back bumper, and then have the outlet tip come out the same side it comes in, and then curve out the side? Any thoughts anyone?

Also, any update on if anyone has a sound clip of the flowmaster 40 setup yet? I can't decide to go with that or magnaflow.

I think you would be better off not using any mufflers in the stock or outlet location. If I were doing side pipes on an LS, I would just replace the resonators with a dual type muffler in the stock resonator location and pipe it out to the side where ever you want it.

Using something like this would be a lot easier.
14468.jpg

Thats actually a really good idea since I was going to do away with the resonator anyway. The question with this setup would be performance though. Is a one muffler setup detrimental to HP gains? Will I have huge backpressure by having the muffler closer to the engine, or will it be the same pressure and just take less time to reach that pressure. With that much pipe after the muffler will the exhaust fumes just trickle out or will it still look normal. I'm wondering how getting rid of the x-pipe will make the system perform. Do you think sound would be affected? Sorry about all the little questions, I'm just really curious now.

Anybody out there ever try anything like this?

I don't know anyone who has tried side pipes, but there are single inlet/outlet mufflers that you can use too if you want to keep it a real dual exhaust. You should keep some sort of crossover pipe regardless and no, back pressure would not be an issue.

hey guys great thread i - quick your da man - i have a 04 LS8 now i have read that there is now big advantage in replacing the stock exhoust in the 03+ is that true or not can i just stay with the stock pipes and just replace the mufflers - any input is greatly appreciated.

true - Tony (T Man) was the LS used for the prototype on the magnaflow 03+ - and they could only get 5rwhp out of it - so never made the kit.

so if you are looking for a sound improvement - swap the mufflers but do not expect much in the hp area.

Amoxi said:
My old thread might help a little. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=23693

Not sure how weird it would look to have the tips coming out the side while your rear bumper still has 2 cutouts for the stock duals.

Also, if you have an 03+ you don't have to worry about a balance pipe cause the 3rd cat already acts as one.

It's an '01 V8, its not the LSE so there aren't any cutouts for tips yet. I'm not sure how side pipes would look, but its something different that I havn't seen yet. I will probably look at getting two single mufflers to preserve the "dual" exhaust. I still havn't gone under there to see if there would be room for a pair of flowmaster 40 series somewhere else.

thanks quick i might just do that just change the moflers - now i wish i had a sound bite of each so i can determine what i like - i dont like it too loud but when i punch it i want peaple to notice it

hey quick do you think the tips that you have will fit the cut out on a 03+ or will it look to cheesy and i should go with a big single tip instead..... anybody have any opinions let's me know.

Instead of adding a full system would it be possible just to replace the two rear mufflers with a set of 40 series?

Well I have a couple of questions for Quik.

when you installed the "X" crossover did you try to measure where to put the x to maximize the exhaust pulses or did you just choose to 'stick' it in where the resonators were comming out?

Also am I mistaken or is that the second cross over on the LS (I can't remember what the exhaust looks like under there right now).

last question, How loud is it at idle. The reason I ask is I put magnaflows on my mustang GT so it is fairly quiet at idle and yet barks when I get on it. That is the same effect I want to have with the LS.

Thanks

- it's a nice low quite bop-bop-bop at idle - sounds serious but not silly
- when I punch it - it's loud - maybe too loud for some
- the LS comes stock with an h-pipe - I pulled it and put the x-pipe in it's place. when talking with the LS engineers - they suggested the x-pipe would benefit the LS at higher rpms, but they did not use it on the stock LS since the x-pipe is a little quieter than the h-pipe and they were looking to gain tone back.
- we obviously could not truly engineer the placement of the x-pipe - but we did try three different locations - at settled down on where we are now - felt it was the right balance between the sound and what my G-Tech was telling me was hp gain. since we replaced all the exhaust pipe - we could place the x-pipe almost where ever we wanted.

as an fyi - the sound is one of the things most people mention about my LS.

I'm not sure if this was answered already but custom exhaust for an '06. Has anyone done it? And what was the gain? Really want to do this. Thanks.

jgfish97 said:
I'm not sure if this was answered already but custom exhaust for an '06. Has anyone done it? And what was the gain? Really want to do this. Thanks.
i think there is no gain, quick can verify this, but the ony gain i think is just the sound quality, quick mentioned that magnaflow tried this and could only muster 5 hp from the stock system so they didnt build a system for the 03+

I've got a question for you all.

Anyone know what a pair of these would sound like on a V8 in place of the original stock mufflers ?
Or be willing to venture a guess ?

630689.jpg

The above muffler looks a bit "ricer" so it may gave more a buzz rather than a growl. There a ton of pics of exhaust setups in this thread.

HAS ANYONE WITH CUSTOM CAT-BACK EXHAUST HAD PROBLEMS WITH BACK PRESSURE, HIGH IDLE, OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT? PARTICULARLY IN THE WINTER?

StinkinLinkinLS01 said:
The above muffler looks a bit "ricer" so it may gave more a buzz rather than a growl. There a ton of pics of exhaust setups in this thread.

HAS ANYONE WITH CUSTOM CAT-BACK EXHAUST HAD PROBLEMS WITH BACK PRESSURE, HIGH IDLE, OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT? PARTICULARLY IN THE WINTER?

I don't see why if you didn't go bigger than 2.25, why in the world you would have problems with back pressure? How hard do you run that car? These cars aren't meant to be beat to hell.

J3FF said:
I don't see why if you didn't go bigger than 2.25, why in the world you would have problems with back pressure? How hard do you run that car? These cars aren't meant to be beat to hell.

Ok. By this time I should expect a little hostility with every question I ask. I never said I had problems with back pressure. Let's not strt talking about what these cars are "meant for" because they sure as hell aren't meant for superchargers and you know we all support that cause. I was just hoping for some INTELLECTUAL input.

Members online

No members online now.
Back