CHEAP, louder than stock mufflers?

KingJacobo

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for some cheap ($35ish ea tops) mufflers that will sound a bit louder/throatier than the stock mufflers, but not looking for something too much for a lincoln. Want to hear it a little when driving (but no drone) but the 93 is sometimes driven by other members of my family, and a "loud" exhaust is a no-no. Ideally, I'd like a magnaflow or maybe Dynomax but they cost way too much.

Am looking at Walker, Hedman turbos, Hooker headers competition turbos.

Suggestions? My friend has a '00 Mustang GT with exhaust dumped after the cats, and that's way too loud for what I want for reference.

Dumping the mufflers on a Mark isn't too loud.

Oreilly carries Raptors , got them on the Chev 1500 and they are pretty decent sounding for only $32 each

I removed my mufflers AND cats and it sounded VERY nice! The 4.6L is a very well balanced engine, it really has a nice natural note. Even when I had NO exhaust (new engine, on the way to get exhaust) I was amazed by the sound.

Its certainly cheap to hack em off. If you dont like? Put something on. :)

I removed my mufflers AND cats and it sounded VERY nice! The 4.6L is a very well balanced engine, it really has a nice natural note. Even when I had NO exhaust (new engine, on the way to get exhaust) I was amazed by the sound.

Its certainly cheap to hack em off. If you dont like? Put something on. :)

+1... Cheapest route!

The stock mufflers are huge. I bet you could gut them out and cut the top, put a hinge on it, and use it for a grill! LOL

Hey will the stock 2012 mustang gt mufflers work for our cars? And is it a 2.5 inch piping? I'm deciding to redo my cars exhaust and going for a catback exhaust with an x-pipe and mustang mufflers.

Hey will the stock 2012 mustang gt mufflers work for our cars? And is it a 2.5 inch piping? I'm deciding to redo my cars exhaust and going for a catback exhaust with an x-pipe and mustang mufflers.

I don't think the inlet and outlet is exactly right for our cars..you'd have to modify the tail pipes after the rear end to have them line up with the mufflers correctly. But they do sound good on a stock 5.0 so I could imagine it would give the mark a decent sound.

I don't think the inlet and outlet is exactly right for our cars..you'd have to modify the tail pipes after the rear end to have them line up with the mufflers correctly. But they do sound good on a stock 5.0 so I could imagine it would give the mark a decent sound.

Well the piping is going to get scrapped. So if I'm redoing the pipes it won't be a concern? Or is the mark viii's body not fit for that muffler? I'm going stock in the hopes of no drone.

Well the piping is going to get scrapped. So if I'm redoing the pipes it won't be a concern? Or is the mark viii's body not fit for that muffler? I'm going stock in the hopes of no drone.

The only reason I know is because my dad has a 12' GT so I looked under there, if you put them on a mark you will probably have to rotate the whole muffler to get the tip to line up with the exhaust cutout..if your bumper has one. Otherwise if you are making your own cutout then I suppose you can position it where you want it. The mufflers have the exhaust tip outlet toward the outside of the car and just by looking at the stock mufflers and the space under the car where the muffler is, I can tell it wouldn't line up with a 95-96 bumper cutout..you'll have to play with it.

So I cut off the two mufflers and am left with basically a reverse Y pipe (did not add additional piping). It sounds nice, but the volume is a tad too loud for my taste and the drone at certain RPM I can tell will eventually annoy me. Anything wrong with putting 1 muffler back on to reduce the noise as far as flow or whatnot?

For those curious, it sounds like your typical truck with louder mufflers, but a bit more refined. Not loud enough to piss off the neighbors, but girls would probably ask "why is it so loud??"

Yep. Just cutcha muffs off and run pipes :D I did that on the '96 and it sounded fantastic!

That's what my '96 was like when I bought it. I must be an old lady. I took it to a shop and had the stock mufflers put BACK ON.

Members online

No members online now.
Back