CHEAP, louder than stock mufflers?

So I cut off the two mufflers and am left with basically a reverse Y pipe (did not add additional piping). It sounds nice, but the volume is a tad too loud for my taste and the drone at certain RPM I can tell will eventually annoy me. Anything wrong with putting 1 muffler back on to reduce the noise as far as flow or whatnot?

For those curious, it sounds like your typical truck with louder mufflers, but a bit more refined. Not loud enough to piss off the neighbors, but girls would probably ask "why is it so loud??"

Did you just ask if you could put just one muffler back on? PLEASE don't do that..first it would sound terrible, and second that's the definition of ghetto. Run over to an auto parts store and see what kind of mufflers thy have on the shelf..I think pep boys or auto zone sells thrush turbo mufflers..or at least they used to. Buy a couple reducers and muffler clamps of that size pipe and put em on for the time being until you can get it to a muffler shop, then have them install the mufflers the proper way.

I removed my mufflers AND cats and it sounded VERY nice! The 4.6L is a very well balanced engine, it really has a nice natural note. Even when I had NO exhaust (new engine, on the way to get exhaust) I was amazed by the sound.

Its certainly cheap to hack em off. If you dont like? Put something on. :)

Have to agree. I cut mine off with the air grinder on the 94 and it had a nice sound. It did have drone inside though but if you don't mind the drone, plus the raspy sound but a nice raspy sound, just cut them off.

So I cut off the two mufflers and am left with basically a reverse Y pipe (did not add additional piping). It sounds nice, but the volume is a tad too loud for my taste and the drone at certain RPM I can tell will eventually annoy me. Anything wrong with putting 1 muffler back on to reduce the noise as far as flow or whatnot?

For those curious, it sounds like your typical truck with louder mufflers, but a bit more refined. Not loud enough to piss off the neighbors, but girls would probably ask "why is it so loud??"

You need to run pipes out the back past the bumper. From what I understand, the majority of the "drone" you're getting is because the pipes terminate under the trunk and the noise/vibration is resonating in the trunk cavity and passing the drone into the interior. I never had any drone with my straight pipes on the '96 because I had them run all the way out to the bumper with stock tips. It sounded great and was very quiet on the inside.

Members online

No members online now.
Back