CC recall, Ford STEALERship, new cel P1414

dnsherrill

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
the last experience I had at my local stealer resulted in my first trans leak. I HATE going there and hoped I'd never need to again.
Since another LVC-er's recent car-fire I figured I'd take my 96 in for the cruise control wiring recall mod (recall 05S28; part #51FOZ17)?
The job they said would take 45 mins took 2 hours. When he said they needed to remove LH front wheel and fender liner I started to worry. When they finished I checked over as much as I could before driving off. Before I made it out of their parking lot the check engine light came up: P1414."Secondary Air Injection System Monitor Circuit High Voltage" .
Brand new, I'd not seen that before. I pulled back in, showed em my scanner, he looked it up and they denied involvement
---
Does anyone have direct experience with P1414 or any ideas on what they could have done to cause it?

Last edited:
When I had the 95 in for that recall it took about 30 min. That dealer lost Lincoln The new stealer screwed my car up big time. Went to Ford dealer (trans flush on 97 ) and they did everything right.

mine's a 96, maybe it's different for obd1 vs obd2.....he also said something about moving the master cylinder. I'm really kicking myself now.
----
off the top of my head I'm thinking i can:
a) find the open ground(s)?
b)disconnect power to the smog pump?
c)get an Accord

The part they changed was under the the fender liner right side. Master cylinder way over on other side Maybe they are making future business. Fix 1 break 2

they definitely pulled my drivers tire and fender liner...brake dust is smeared and the liner has new fasteners

called another stealer to do a Q/A on the initial stealer...recall 05S28 ...something to do with the cruise control cable catching fire to the brake fluid sensor? #2 said they're supposed to put in a fusible link under the hood near the master cylinder. For some reason stealer #1 decided to put it in behind driver's wheel , fender liner; so if my cruise control dies it's b/c I blew a fuse behind the fender liner?....all in all I'm starting to doubt they caused my P1414. Stealer got tired of me asking questions and basically told me to go to hell.
so now I get to pull the liner and see what/ if they did anything
----
P1414 TS
----
edit/update: they caused my CEL, unplugged the pump pwr line and left it unplugged, removed relay

Last edited:
Your CC switch should be right there by the ABS module/pump, which is also the area the smog pump is.. forward of wheel, in the driver side of bumper.

I may be wrong about CC location.. 93's are on the frame rail directly below the Booster, 97/98 are behind passenger wheel liner on frame rail forward of passenger front shock.. but I'm pretty sure 94-96 are forward of driver front shock on frame rail behind wheel liner

I'll just take the wheel off and liner out; and try to figure out what they did, and if they f'd up the smog pump wiring....if that's all they messed up I'm lucky

When I took mine in it took about a 1/2 hour or so and they went in through the ds fender well. Everything turned good, no problems.

pulled my tire and fender liner
no new harness
lots of open connectors
anatomy 101...mystery connectors: the 3 under the smog pump, one adjacent air supply and height sensor
----
P8310662.JPG
------
P8310654.JPG
---------
P8310663.JPG

P8310662.JPG

P8310663.JPG

P8310654.JPG

there's 3 cables running along the edge of the fender, this one seems abnormally loose and out of place
----
P8310656.JPG
-----
P8310657.JPG
-----

P8310656.JPG

P8310657.JPG

P8310658.JPG

after doing some research, this recall was often done under the hood at the mst cyl
----
I got nothing, except an open connector I never noticed before today
----
P8310649_zps33df3fbd.jpg

yea, I talked to another dealer and they said to look for that harness with the big blue tag.....unless mine is between the smog pump and the grille, these guys I went to today are straight up full of horse manure.....shameless lying dogs

guys welcome to older group FORD GM AND other manufactures don't give a damm. they have already spent the money that they made by selling the car and or under no obligation too you plus they might not have the manuals to work on our antiques . its all a money game. you try and find a good mechanic and stick with him. new Dealers do not like to see us pull up to get service. part guys are having a hard time finding the numbers that we need if available at all.

now that I look at it, i wonder if something was removed from the side of the smog pump which that open connector plugged into? was that the cc switch??
---
P8310664.JPG
----
P8310665.JPG

P8310664.JPG

P8310665.JPG

guys welcome to older group FORD GM AND other manufactures don't give a damm. they have already spent the money that they made by selling the car and or under no obligation too you plus they might not have the manuals to work on our antiques . its all a money game. you try and find a good mechanic and stick with him. new Dealers do not like to see us pull up to get service. part guys are having a hard time finding the numbers that we need if available at all.
yea, that makes sense, i get that...what I don't get is why they need to lie; all they have to say is the recall is no longer available. they took up most of my Saturday and gave me a DTC I've yet to resolve

From that pic was your ABS relay plugged in all this time? Yeah if you look at air pump it looks like something should bolt to it where those 2 empty holes are. I don't have a Gen 2 or a 1996 so no smog stuff for me.

From that pic was your ABS relay plugged in all this time? Yeah if you look at air pump it looks like something should bolt to it where those 2 empty holes are.
yea, as far as I know the ABS relay was plugged in all this time
---
I just went and plugged in that male/female union...it's line/supply to the smog pump; then I cleared the DTC code and ran the car about 5 minutes, no more DTC so far and I heard the little pump running for a spell
---
so it looks like all the stealer did for me is unplug my smog pump and possibly unplug and take something off that mounting bracket on the side of the pump...that took em 2 hours
---
this is BS, I may go after em on this
----
they did however provide a couple plastic push fasteners for the fender liner..that's prolly about $30-$50!!!! lol

Have you checked the other side like I posted pic to see if your CC recall is on pass side? I would do that first before any stupid stuff.

I haven't checked there yet, but I may, if the liner has new fasteners?.....the service guy said with no uncertainty that they pulled the drivers side, and there were handprints all over my dirty LH wheel, none on the right hand side.....if all they did was unplug my smog pump, I got off lucky...still no recall mod though
----
thanks for the help ROTM, now I can get back to imrc, iac, tps replacement! woohoo!
:wrench

Members online

No members online now.
Back