CC recall, Ford STEALERship, new cel P1414

question how would i know if the recall has been done on my car? and are they still doing it? i have a 95 LSC
call the stealer and give em your vin; if they haven't done it ask for the part and do it yourself; if they insist on doing the install, insist on watching them work

every dealer is independently owned, makes their own rules, and operates virtually unaccountable to any larger governing body, other than something like a Better Business Bureau or local Chamber of Commerce
----
re; the 2nd air inject pump, I still haven't found that dedicated fuse, the pwr dist box map does not list it, unlikely that it;s an in-line fusible link?
---

Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Monitor Electric Air Pump System
The Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Monitor is an on-board strategy designed to monitor the proper function of the secondary air system. The AIR Monitor for the Electric Air Pump system consists of two monitor circuits: an AIR circuit to diagnose problems with the primary circuit side of the Solid State Relay (SSR), and an AIR Monitor circuit to diagnose problems with the secondary circuit side of the Solid State Relay. A functional check is also performed that tests the ability of the AIR system to inject air into the exhaust. The functional check relies upon HO2S sensor feedback to determine the presence of air flow. The monitor is enabled during AIR system operation and only after certain base engine conditions are first satisfied. Input is required from the ECT, IAT, and CKP sensor, and the HO2S Monitor test must also have passed without a fault detection to enable the AIR Monitor. The AIR Monitor is also activated during on demand self-test.

The AIR circuit is normally held high through the SAIR Bypass solenoid and Solid State Relay when the output driver is off. Therefore a low AIR circuit indicates a driver is always on and a high circuit indicates an open in the PCM.

The DTC associated with this test is DTC P0412.

The AIR Monitor circuit is held low by the resistance path through the Air Pump when the pump is off. If the AIR Monitor circuit is high there is either an open circuit to the PCM from the pump or there is power supplied to the Air Pump. If the AIR Monitor is low when the pump is commanded on, there is either an open circuit from the SSR or the SSR has failed to supply power to the pump.

The DTCs associated with this test are DTCs P1413 and P1414.
The functional check may be done in two parts; at startup when the Air Pump is normally commanded on, or during a hot idle if the startup test was not able to be performed. The flow test relies upon the HO2S sensor to detect the presence of additional air in the exhaust when introduced by the Secondary Air Injection system.

The DTC associated with this test is DTC P0411.
The MIL is activated after one of the above tests fail on two consecutive drive cycles.

Figure 14: EAIR System Monitor

STRAIT FROM FMC DEALER

Secondary Air Injection Systems

Overview of Electric Secondary Air Injection System
The Electric Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System (Figure 1) has an electric air pump which controls emissions during the first 20 to 120 seconds of engine operation. The AIR system forces air downstream into the exhaust manifolds to oxidize the hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide created by running rich at start-up.

The AIR system consists of an Electric Air Pump (EAP), a combination Check and Air Diverter (AIRD) valve(s), an Air Injection Bypass solenoid, a Solid State Relay, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and connecting wires and vacuum hoses.

When the engine is started, the PCM signals the Solid State Relay and the Air Injection Bypass solenoid, after a few seconds delay, to begin system operation. The Solid State Relay provides the start-up signal and switches the high current required to operate the EAP. The EAP provides air until the catalyst is lit-off and can oxidize and reduce emissions. The Air Injection Bypass solenoid applies a vacuum to the AIRD valve(s) causing it to open allowing air to flow into the exhaust manifold through the inlet. The inlet contains a splash cap that prevents dirt and water from entering the EAP. Once the catalyst is lit-off, the PCM signals the Solid State Relay to stop pump operation and the Air Injection Bypass solenoid to stop the vacuum supply to the AIRD valve(s).

Figure 1: Dual AIRD Valve Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System
A23561B_zps647aac69.gif

Figure 2: Single AIRD Valve Secondary Air Injection System
A24507A_zpsd31361ff.gif

Hardware
Electric Air Pump
The Electric Air Pump (EAP) (Figure 3) provides pressurized air to the Secondary Air Injection system. The EAP functions independently of engine speed and is controlled by the PCM. The EAP is only used for short periods of time. Delivery of air is dependent on the amount of system backpressure and system voltage. The inlet system of the pump incorporates a non-serviceable filter and Splash Cap which helps to guard against dirt and water.

Figure 3: Electric Air Pump
A23553A_zps68aa31db.gif

Air Bypass Solenoid
The Secondary Air Bypass Solenoid (AIRB) (Figure 4) is used by the PCM to control vacuum to the Secondary Air Control Valve (ACV). The AIRB solenoid is a normally closed solenoid. The AIRB solenoid also has a filtered vent feature to permit vacuum release.

Figure 4: Secondary Air Bypass Solenoid

A23552A_zpsf79c32d0.gif

Air Diverter Valve
The Air Diverter (AIRD) valve (Figure 5) is used with the Electric Air Pump (EAP) to provide on/off control of air to the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter. When the EAP is on and vacuum is supplied to the AIRD valve, air passes the integral check valve disk. When the EAP is off, and vacuum is removed from the AIRD valve, the integral check valve disk is held on the seat and stops air from being drawn into the exhaust system preventing the back flow of the exhaust into the Secondary Air System.

Figure 5: Air Diverter (AIRD) Valve

A23554A_zps34368f0f.gif

Solid State Relay
The Solid State Relay (Figure 6) switches the high current required for operation of the Electric Air Pump (EAP). Control input to the Solid State Relay comes from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Figure 6: Solid State Relay
A23555A_zps14c6e536.gif

Overview of Mechanical Secondary Air Injection Systems
The Mechanical Secondary Air Injection system (Figure 7) has a belt driven air pump which is utilized in electronic control systems to divert secondary air either upstream to the exhaust manifold check valve or to the downstream check valve and catalyst. The system will also dump secondary air to the atmosphere during some operating modes.

The typical Secondary Air Injection Diverter (AIRD) valve is used to direct the air either upstream or downstream.

The typical Secondary Air Injection Bypass (AIRB) valve is used to dump air to the atmosphere (Figure 7).

Examples of other Secondary Air Injection systems are shown in Figures 1 through 16.

Figure 7: Typical Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System
A5980J_zps8ea5f97a.gif

Dual (AIRD) Valve Secondary Air System on 7.5L.
The Dual (AIRD) Valve Secondary Air System is used exclusively on vehicles that come equipped with the 7.5L engine. However, not all 7.5L vehicles have this type of Secondary Air System, (Figure 8). The system has a single AIRB valve to control dual AIRD valves, one for each exhaust bank.

Figure 8: 7.5L
A24508A_zpsf6c7c824.gif

Single AIRB Solenoid and Valve on 5.0L Calif. Truck
This Secondary Air System represents a typical single AIRB Solenoid and single AIRB valve. The AIR is either bypassed or directed upstream. This system is basically used on the 5.0L California only trucks. On 7.5L trucks, which use this system, the air pump will direct air downstream to the catalyst.

Figure 9: 5.0L California
th_A24509A_zps0b93a0fc.gif

Typical Secondary Air System on 4.9L and 5.0L Truck
This Secondary Air system is utilized primarily on the 4.9L and 5.0L E/F Series truck. Although this system shown has a separate Air Diverter and Air Bypass valves, some E/F series trucks can have the commonly used Combination Air Diverter Air Diverter/Air Bypass valve.

Figure 10: 4.9L and 5.0L

A24510A_zps5a99dd29.gif

Air Pump
The Air Pump is a belt-driven, positive displacement, vane-type pump that provides air for the Secondary Air Injection system. It is available in 19 and 22 cubic inch sizes, either of which may be driven with different pulley ratios for different applications. Pumps receive air from a remote silencer filter, the clean air side of the engine air cleaner attached to the pump's air inlet nipple, or an impeller type centrifugal filter fan.

Figure 11: 19 and 22 Cubic Inch AIR Pump

A6834F_zps354576e5.gif

Air Silencer
The Air silencer is a combination silencer and filter for air supply pumps. The air silencer is mounted in a convenient position in the engine compartment and is connected to the AIR pump inlet by means of a flexible hose.

Figure 12: Typical AIR Silencer—9G427
A6979F_zpsd695151a.gif

Air Pump Resonator
The Air Pump Resonator (Figure 13) reduces air dump noise during cold start and some cruise modes.

Figure 13: Air Pump Resonator
A13530B_zps76700260.gif

Check Valve
The Air Check Valve (Figure 14) is a one-way valve that allows secondary air to pass into the exhaust system while preventing exhaust gases from passing in the opposite direction.

Figure 14: Air Check Valve
A5961G_zps07038192.gif

Combination AIRB/AIRD Valve
The Combination AIRB/AIRD Valve combines the Secondary Air Injection Bypass (AIRB) and Air Diverter (AIRD) functions. The valve is located in the air supply line between the AIR pump and the upstream/downstream air supply check valves.

The AIRB portion controls the flow of secondary air to the exhaust system (air control portion of the valve) or allows secondary air to be bypassed to atmosphere. When air is not being bypassed, the air control portion of the valve switches the air injection point to either upstream or downstream location. This portion of the valve is called secondary air injection diverter (AIRD).

Figure 15: Combination AIRB/AIRD Valve
A13531B_zps63f4e8fb.gif

Normally Closed AIRB Valves
The AIRB valves are normally closed valves which supply air to the exhaust system with medium and high applied vacuum signals during normal (engine at normal operating temperature) modes. With low or no vacuum applied, the pumped air is dumped through the silencer ports of the valve or through the dump port.

Figure 16: Normally Closed Secondary Air Injection Bypass (AIRB) Valves
A6989F_zps19c18520.gif

Normally Open AIRD Valves
The normally open AIRD valve without a vacuum vent directs air pump output upstream to the exhaust manifold or downstream to the catalyst system depending upon the engine control strategy. The AIRD valve may also be used as a valve (Figure 18), directing air to the catalyst/exhaust system or to a remote air dump location depending on engine control strategy. A pressure relief valve also provides AIR pump protection in the event of excessive exhaust back pressure or system blockage.

Figure 17: AIRD Valves Without Pressure Relief

A14924B_zpsb99e8771.gif

Figure 18: AIRD Valve
A6989F_zps19c18520.gif

Normally Closed AIRB Solenoid
The Normally Closed Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Solenoid Assembly (Figure 19) consists of two vacuum ports with an atmospheric vent. The solenoid assembly can be with or without control bleed. The outlet port of the solenoid is opened to atmospheric vent and closed to the inlet port when de-energized. When energized, the outlet port is opened to the inlet port and closed to atmospheric vent. The control bleed is provided to prevent contamination entering the solenoid assembly from the intake manifold.

Figure 19: Solenoid Vacuum Valve Assembly
A14904B_zps215fb082.gif

Dual AIRB and AIRD Solenoids
The Dual Secondary AIR Control Solenoid (Figure 20) assembly contains two normally closed vacuum solenoids. One solenoid controls the AIR Bypass (AIRB) valve and the other solenoid controls the AIR Diverter (AIRD) valve. Both solenoids vent when de-energized and are supplied by the intake manifold vacuum and controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Figure 20: Dual Secondary AIR Control Solenoids
Note: The solenoids can be expected to have a very small leakage rate when energized or de-energized. This leakage is not measurable in the field and is not detrimental to solenoid function.

A9388B_zps36ae85ab.gif

Vacuum Check Valves
A Vacuum Check Valve (Figure 21) blocks air flow in one direction. It allows free air flow in the other direction. The check side of this valve will hold the highest vacuum seen on the vacuum side.

Figure 21: Vacuum Check Valve

A6067D_zps4e34b14e.gif

Vacuum Reservoirs
The Vacuum Reservoir stores vacuum and provides "muscle" vacuum. It prevents rapid fluctuations or sudden drops in a vacuum signal such as those seen during an acceleration period.

Figure 22: Vacuum Reservoirs
A6069E_zps1b6b215c.gif

Possible Solutions If you have access to a scan tool, with KOEO (Key on engine off) command the AIR pump solenoid on and off. If the solenoid doesn't operate then unplug the solenoid and using a voltmeter, check for voltage being supplied to the solenoid when commanded on and also for good ground. If there is voltage being supplied and a good ground check for a good connection at the solenoid wiring harness connector. If the connection is good then replace the solenoid. If there is no voltage supplied to the connector when commanding the solenoid on, then find the AIR pump relay and verify that there is fused battery voltage present at the switched side of the circuit that is feeding voltage to the AIR pump.If not, check for blown fuse or open in the wiring. Repair and retest. If battery voltage is present at the voltage feed side of the relay, then a fast way to check for proper solenoid and AIR pump operation is to use a fused jumper and manually activate it. Do this by jumpering battery voltage to switched AIR pump voltage feed. Usually this is terminals 30 and 87 of the relay schematic (not always). If the solenoid (and possibly the AIR pump) operates, then you know your wiring and solenoid are okay. If it doesn't activate, open the wiring harness and find the open or short in the voltage feed to the AIR pump solenoid and fix it. If jumpering the solenoid to battery voltage activates the solenoid, then it's time to check for voltage present with KOEO on the PCM controlled side of the relay. If there is none, again repair open or short in the circuit and retest. To check the PCM wiring of the AIR pump solenoid, grounding the control circuit that is normally operated by the PCM will tell you if the wiring is intact. Grounding the circuit at the PCM connector with KOEO should activate the AIR pump relay, which in turn should activate the AIR pump & solenoid. If this doesn't work, then there is an open or short in the PCM control circuit. If grounding the control circuit operates the AIR pump and solenoid, verify the PCM has good ground paths and no damage to the connector or water intrusion. If that checks out, suspect an open driver in the PCM.

FMC DEALER

thanks Mac, you da man! the code I have is P0412...where do I start.... measure voltage going to the pump? what's 'high'? what's 'low'? I can use my brown car (which is free of DTC's) as the normal baseline
----
btw, my system is single diverter, like fig 2. single AIRD

"The AIR circuit is normally held high through the SAIR Bypass solenoid and Solid State Relay when the output driver is off. Therefore a low AIR circuit indicates a driver is always on and a high circuit indicates an open in the PCM.

The DTC associated with this test is DTC P0412."

you are going to have to have access to a ford IDS "scanner" otherwise you cant command the solenoid to check for voltage. so what i recommend you do is swap parts between cars. unless you have scanner there is no way you can get in and open that solenoid to check voltage to it.

and as far as "high" or "low" i would have to look up what operating voltage it. but i would assume anything under 12 is low and over 12 is high.

Dan you need to bring the car up to me so i can run it threw my IDS at work.

IF THIS WAS MY CAR!!!! i would run 12v directly from the battery and see if the pump kicks on. if it doesnt kick on with 12v from the battery then you know it needs a pump. if it does kick on with 12v then you have a problem further up the line controlling operation of the air pump. (PCM, wiring,Solenoid,Ex)

ill give you a call tomorrow mornin dan

it's kind of irelevant i guess
I've already sent off my xcal2 to get a custom tune with smog dtc overrides...but b/c I hate to be defeated by Cherokee Ford the local dealer, i want to fix it...maybe it's a fuse

Did I mention the SAP is not functional on my '96? My car idles fine and there is no noticeable drop in fuel economy. Well, this car does get slightly worse economy than my other '96 with the blown head gasket but then it has the EGR blocked as well and hasn't had either tuned out.

It just looks like a complex bunch of unneeded stuff to me, but what do I know?
One of the manifold tubes was broke when I installed the engine, I didn't have a spare, so just plugged the holes in the manifolds, the vacuum lines and the hose. So there is no diverter valves, tubes or bracket.

Did I mention the SAP is not functional on my '96? My car idles fine and there is no noticeable drop in fuel economy. Well, this car does get slightly worse economy than my other '96 with the blown head gasket but then it has the EGR blocked as well and hasn't had either tuned out.

It just looks like a complex bunch of unneeded stuff to me, but what do I know?
One of the manifold tubes was broke when I installed the engine, I didn't have a spare, so just plugged the holes in the manifolds, the vacuum lines and the hose. So there is no diverter valves, tubes or bracket.

That system is only for reducing emissions at start up, it helps to heat up the cat faster, that's why it shuts back off shortly after start up.

The EGR system disabled will cut fuel mileage, that's one of it's purposes. The other purposes are reduced NoX emissions, and filthying up the insides of intake manifolds.:D

here in metro Atlanta, like many other urban/suburban regions there's annual emissions inspections, any CEL automatically results in failure, then they force you to go to a mechanic and get it fixed
---
a non-working smog pump system won't have any real effect on performance/mpg, that's why before I replace components I'll get a custom tune with those specific dtc overrides...
---
maybe it's just a fuse? I thought it might be an open ground but if that were the case I'd see other malfunctions assuming it's not a dedicated ground wire?
I have another PCM, I guess i could plug it in and see if that solves the problem.
----
what does an "...open in the PCM" mean? re: high circuit indicates an open in the PCM.

I found the fuse, #2 under the hood
my manual lists position 2 as 30 amp for the Thermactor (a Ford name that sounds better than smog and is shorter than 2ndary air injection) I checked existing fuse and it was blown, then put in a good fuse and started the engine 3x times without the P0412 DTC, then the CEL came back, good fuse got blown, usually after clearing the 2nd restart triggers the CEL so i think the pump may have worked once before blowing the fuse, or maybe not at all
---
now to figure out what's causing repeated blown fuse? surge?
is it important that the pump relay be bolted onto the steel bracket alongside the pump? I didn't have the screws to do that so I just zip tied it nearby
---
P9020670.JPG
---
P9020671.JPG

P9020669.JPG

P9020670.JPG

P9020671.JPG

I'm not going to read through all of this, but are you sure the pump actually runs? Seized pump could blow the fuse.

I'm not going to read through all of this, but are you sure the pump actually runs? Seized pump could blow the fuse.
I thought i heard it run after i plugged it back in but no, I haven't yet tried an aux power source directly, I don't know how much to put on it....12v safe? my battery charger and some jumpers to the 2 wire connector?

Just to follow up. I checked my codes and I have no codes relative the the SAP not functioning. I have a code for the blocked EGR and two for a downstream O2 sensor.

So to me it looks like a tune is not needed to prevent a code relative to a disabled SAP system. But maybe it's because my pump is actually still hooked up.

For 4 pages I have asked you to simply put 12V to the pump to see if it runs and check for 12V at pump car connector . This will END right after you do those 2 things.

rotm, I will but haven't yet; I don't know if that pump is designed to take 12v; is it possible 12v too much?
i will check my brown car to see what it is pushing under normal functionality; or just check the resistance from the pump motor in question?
-----
?continuously blowing the Thermactor fuse could be?
1)a bare (+) wire touching metal,
2) a faulty relay
3) a seized pump
on the white car, I can unplug the connectors for the pump and relay and see if I still blow fuses
or check resistance on the device side of the pump connection: for that 30 amp circuit it should be? 2-3 ohms?

Just to follow up. I checked my codes and I have no codes relative the the SAP not functioning. I have a code for the blocked EGR and two for a downstream O2 sensor.

So to me it looks like a tune is not needed to prevent a code relative to a disabled SAP system. But maybe it's because my pump is actually still hooked up.
eh, that doesn't make sense; correct me if I'm wrong but the when the emissions is not working, you should have a CEL?...did you say your diverter is gone, your pump and solenoid must be hooked up and working..what's missing?
without the DTC I'd get the tune anyways, stock shift points suck

12v will not blow the secondary air pump. if you're that worried about it go get a 9v battery and run the wires to the pump...

OK in the picture above, item 2 is the diverter. I don't have one. The pipes running from the diverter to the exhaust are gone. The pipes are cut off right at the exhaust, hammered flat and welded shut. The vacuum line going to the diverter is plugged with a bolt, and the hose going from the pump to the diverter is plugged on the diverter end. I believe the hose and vacuum line are cable tied to the sway bar. Nothing else was touched. No fuses pulled or any connectors.

The bracket holding the diverter is gone too. That's about it. The codes I have are 1401, 0156, and 0161. I have no EGR tube. The pipe fitting is welded shut. The EGR valve is there but there is a block plate in front of it.

put jumpers and my 12v batery charge on the pump:
on the 1st try it ran, then I unplugged it, plugged it back in and it didn't run, 3rd try it ran non stop for over 2 minutes until I unplugged it b/c the jumper was melting against the bumper cover; accessing this sob is a major pita,
---
P9070699.jpg
---
and here's a vid, the grinding sound is the pump running, it was plugged in when I started the video, jumper melting is the smoke
---
[video=youtube;r3TaE2Moi5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3TaE2Moi5M&feature=youtu.be[/video]
---
next step: put in a good 30 amp fuse
1) with both relay and 2 wire connector unplugged: started engine 2x, fuse is good
2) with relay plugged in and 2 wire connector unplugged, started engine 2x and fuse is good
3)with relay plugged in and 2 wire connector plugged in: started car and pump did not run, fuse is blown
4) with relay plugged in, substituted aux 12v source for 2 wire line supply from B(+) pump runs without fail...
:confused:
now what? measure voltage coming from the 2 wire connector? what's blowing the fuse? bare wire touching metal between 2 wire connector and B(+)?

P9070699.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back