Brake Upgrade of the Day

lobird91

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well here it is in all it's glory. GT500 14in rotors and Cadillac CTS-V 4 pot Brembos all bolted to a hub swapped Mark VIII spindle. It took some work but I think it's gonna work out well.

IMG_20110721_193556.jpg

IMG_20110721_193716.jpg

Good things. How are you going to address fluid requirements for those calipers? The stock VIII master gonna be enough?

Not sure. Haven't done the math yet I actually built them as a sort of proof of concept for the 92 thunderbird I am building to race chumpcar with. Best brake setup I could put together under the 2x OEM cost rule.

Edit: just checked it out stock Mark master should have no issues with pretty much any brake caliper 1 1/16 is huge the GT500 still only uses a 11/16

Sweet! U gonna leave the V logo on it to screw with peoples heads? :lol:

So are they a direct bolt up like the Cobra Brembos?

When I was doing my research I thought they would be close to a direct bolt up....turns out I was wrong lol. The mounting ear holes are only about 2 mm off, but stock mounting position on the spindle puts the caliper up so high it could clear a 15 inch rotor. Also the offset of the rotor is about .12 in to far towards the spindle so I ending up drilling new mounting holes .5 in down and milling the spindle .12 to line the rotor up in the caliper.

I would REALLY like to get into more technical speak with you on this. I've been thinking about 14"F/13"R brakes for a few years.

Any chance of getting some info, or do you keep that stuff secret? :)

i am jealous, now lets see it on a car... what was the cost of doing this?

No no secrets here shoot me a pm with anything you want to know. As for cost actual parts cost should be under $600 including new stainless lines. I couldn't tell you what a machine shop would charge to move the holes and mill the spindle though since I did that myself.

How about a picture of the rear side showing the mounting?

Looks awesome and I really appreciate that you are willing to share with the rest of us. Sure beats the price of Mustang Brembo upgrades for our cars.

Here are some more pics of the spindle and caliper mounting. I still have to fill the original bolt holes, but I think this spindle is just going to be a pattern for the next set.

IMG_20110722_101724.jpg

IMG_20110722_101734.jpg

IMG_20110722_101752.jpg

IMG_20110722_102221.jpg

IMG_20110722_102245.jpg

A couple guys were doing this conversion on their impala ss's like we have and I always wondered if they could be modified to fit a mark viii. Nice work. Looks great!

Now that I have seen it I know I wont ever do it. Sorry but the holes make me nervous.
If that setup was used at its full potential like hard street driving or on a track then it seems to me the lower hole could easily elongate and as the caliper grabbed it could rotate up and push the caliper into the rotor.
Looks like a point of noise, rattle and failure.

It may never ever do that for all I know but thats just the feeling I get. I would not run that on any car I had.

Now that I have seen it I know I wont ever do it. Sorry but the holes make me nervous.
If that setup was used at its full potential like hard street driving or on a track then it seems to me the lower hole could easily elongate and as the caliper grabbed it could rotate up and push the caliper into the rotor.
Looks like a point of noise, rattle and failure.

It may never ever do that for all I know but thats just the feeling I get. I would not run that on any car I had.

possible solution, get the other hole welded shut, and then drill new holes.

I still have to fill the original bolt holes, but I think this spindle is just going to be a pattern for the next set.

He says he will be welding in the top holes.

oops. missed that part. :rolleyes:

Thats what I was thinking. I am sure I am over paranoid on this. May be just fine the way it is.

i would think that most of the forces would be from side to side, not up and down. but i dont really know.

Yea no way I would run it with the top holes open. I needed the original hole for a point of reference for the new ones. I will be plugging the top holes on any spindle I actually l plan on using. Good comments guys keep em coming.

-Alan

'Tis a cool setup, but why didn't you use a 14-15" Mustang kit that will bolt on (a hubswapped car)?

I really wanted to do a nice 14" setup but am always broke. I seem to run across 4-Piston Brembos online all the time for $400. Hell, found a 14" Wilwood 6-piston (direct bolt up) for $800 last week. :(

Cost constraints for chumpcar was what led me down this road, but now that I have done it a few hours on the milling machine to build a $600 dollar 14in Brembo setup is much easier to swallow than laying down $3000 for a similar setup from Brembo. I will probably be building one for the race car as well as one for the Lincoln.

- Alan

Where are you sourcing your parts?

A friend in caddilac quoted me 375 per caliper. Ford.......250 per, for the rotors.

I'll check through max, but seems more than 600 in parts. I'm not scared of the price, but I'm ALWAYS looking for cheaper.

Members online

Back