Better to be cheap

FYI... it takes about $900 in parts alone,,, to do a standard cooling system rebuild on the LS... and that DOESN'T include the DCCV, aux coolant flow pump, heater cores, heater hoses... or raditator!!!!

So, what haven't you replaced?
DCCV, aux pump, and radiator should also be suspects. For sure the upper radiator hose should be replaced. The lower hose runs cooler, so it doesn't fail as quickly, but I would still replace it too. The heater hoses seem to be pretty robust as long as you don't disturb the disconnects. I feel like the water pump is a long life item, but it the rest of it doesn't fix it, then it should be on the list too.

Is the system pressurizing? Have you cleaned everything up, taken a long drive, and then looks for any signs or smells of coolant?
I had a very annoying leak on my 04 after replacing all the plastic. It didn't overheat, but I would find coolant on top of the engine after driving on the interstate. It wouldn't leak during a pressure test, hot or cold. I finally pulled the parts off again and put tack-seal on all the gaskets. There was one between the crossover and the engine that I think was the problem. I didn't get the old gasket completely off the engine where it has baked on.

Well I finally have my problem solved..figured out at least. I ended up buying a pressure tester kit for $90 that is great. Hooked it up and pumped it to 15 pounds and right away it started leaking out on the right front. So I guess it was never fully pressured when I drove it even though I never spotted leaks. But the radiator definitely has a crack somewhere because it's now leaking quite a bit. So the radiator is on the way and hopefully I'm good to go after.
That tool is a life saver..or time saver.

Radiator problem could be pasenger side tank gasket,,, or cracked upper hose mount/flange/nipple.

Could be, of course. However, both of mine cracked on the front side of the tank near the top, right where the hot water coming out of the upper radiator hose hits.

Mine is at the upper neck, (that's the term I was struggling to find in my last post). Won't complain at 180k miles. Either way morgan has the part on the way.

Yeah my leak is the upper radiator right side..not exactly sure where yet but tomorrow I will know more. Part arrived today and I cleared out the cars in the shop to make room..hopefully an after school one day project!

Yeah my leak is the upper radiator right side..not exactly sure where yet but tomorrow I will know more. Part arrived today and I cleared out the cars in the shop to make room..hopefully an after school one day project!

If you drive the front up on ramps, you can get the radiator out (and back in) from the bottom. I like to cut the box the new radiator come in up such that I have two pieces of cardboard, one to tape to the front of the radiator over the fins, and one for the back. I pull the cardboard out through the bottom after everything is installed. This is to protect the fins.

If you drive the front up on ramps, you can get the radiator out (and back in) from the bottom. I like to cut the box the new radiator come in up such that I have two pieces of cardboard, one to tape to the front of the radiator over the fins, and one for the back. I pull the cardboard out through the bottom after everything is installed. This is to protect the fins.

Thanks, I haven't opened it so I can use that idea still. We have a hoist so hopefully it makes it a little easier. I looked just a bit ago and it looks fairly simple just tight space.

Tried that... only to discover the crack in/on the neck. Thanks though. :)

No, I meant were you using screw type clamps, as they can cause the radiator hose barb/neck to crack. This is why the spring clamps are preferred when the connection is plastic. Of course, this likely has nothing to do with your problem.

The LS is back on the road again. Took around 3 hours to change it..I swear I saw on here it comes out the bottom but I couldn't get it. For me getting it out the top was easier. The biggest pain was I think it's the aux pump..whatever has 2 rubber ends that slide on the fan shroud, That took the most time. Oh and the crack was on the front of the radiator opposite side of the top radiator hose..about a 5 inch crack.

I have to have yet another closer inspection of my wife's 03 LS V8. Found the coolant level down a bit again.

Could not spot any possible leaks previously. I'll have to have a more in depth look at the radiator. This LS'es plastics cooling system was refreshed by the PO (previous LVC member) a few years back but the radiator was not replaced at that time. Very likely it's leaking from there.

Driving me nuts ... :mad:

Yes I had, didn't notice any before in said location. Will revisit.

"Motorcraft from R/A" ?
What was $257 ?
the rad ?

I'll have to see what I need. Some bigger parts are best bought locally for me. Shipping from US, duty and taxes can run me as much or close to same then local. I won't buy anything that ships via Fedex or UPS from US anymore. All sorts of extra fees, total scam!

Might be but Rock Auto is still a better option on savings and shipping on some smaller parts.

Is what it is. Have Lincoln LS, Open Wallet.

Have Lincoln LS, Open Wallet.

Yeah,,, about every 50k miles... plan on spending about a grand in parts. I got away with it a bit longer... that's why I spent $1500 this time.

I am still very fond of the car though... and truthfully it has been reliable. Plus it get's me back a couple grand every year at tax time... so it has already paid for itself,,, plus the parts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back