Best Sway Bars

I know its a little cheaper, but Id have a hard time buying from a company Ive never heard of, when you can get them from SCP and you know you will get taken care of.

I have 1 1/4" bars F&R on my LSC and 1 3/8" bars F&R on my SC.

I think the larger bars are a bit much for a driver, but if your car is just a toy, then go for it.

Check with Victor @ Spinning Wheels before you buy them somewhere else for more. Tell him I sent you.

http://spinningwheels-sc.com/suspensionandtrannies.aspx

Thank you, this is what I'm looking for. My car is my project and touring driver, my Suzuki Swift goes to the store.

I was looking for a project, I am recently retired, and building cars was one of my favorite things when i was younger. I have a very sweet 93 I just acquired and I will have time to work on it. I like to start with a suspension overhaul. The Mark VIII seems an ideal if somewhat complex build. By ideal I expect a lot of bang per buck.

I'll think about the bars some more and probably take your advice.

I will need to talk to you about the rear end stuff in a while too.

I just did a coil conversion and installed the 1 1/4" addco rear sway bar. EXTREMELY pleased with it!!!:)

I've got the 1 3/8" rear sway bar on my 98 and it's great. I've also got Koni shocks front and rear, and I love it. If I didn't have my 97 as a daily driver and had to drive the 98 every day, I wouldn't be sad about it.

I haven't noticed any ill effects of the larger rear bar. It definitely doesn't ride quite as "smooth" (i.e. floaty :rolleyes: ) as the stock suspension on my 97, but it feels much better in the turns and, combined with the Koni's, handles the bumps with ease. I've been car-pooling lately with a guy who has a Corvette, and I'd take the ride quality in my 98 over the Vette any day. The Vette is awesome in the corners, but every bump lets you know it's there. Much more harsh.

Just my 2 cents. :)

OK Summit it is then, or maybe spinningwheels, I'll see who's cheaper. ;) The 1 1/4" will do. I'll order them up next week.

The car is very clean and the only rust I've found on it is on the sub frame mount supports. There is still lots of metal but flaking has occurred.

FWIW, I bought my sway bars from summit.

+1

After I get my front lower engine cradle brace welded on and install my rear diff brace, swaybars are next and Summit is where I will be purchasing them.

If you have the part numbers...just find the place with the cheapest price...I can assure you , it will never be SCP...hes a retailer, not a wholesaler.

Just sayin'

I placed 1990 supercoupe sway bars on my 1993. Much improved with less body roll and more "planted feeling". Plus you can get the supercoupe bars fairly cheap.

To put a front swaybar on, I had to lower the kmember some to find room to fit the front bar in. The rear bar is super easy though.

!!!!!DO NOT!!!!! buy from Bill at SCP.

how many god forsaken times do we have to go over this?

I've got to say I'd go to him LONG before dealing with Victor. But either way, if I was looking to buy them today, I'd just go to Summit.

I've got to say I'd go to him LONG before dealing with Victor. But either way, if I was looking to buy them today, I'd just go to Summit.

Really? I've never had any issues with Victor, but I've certainly had some with Bill.

The opposite has been true for me. I haven't had an issue with Bill, though I honestly haven't dealt with him too many times (Kooks headers, fuel pump, and a few other misc parts). Victor on the other hand...I'm biting my tongue here.

OK Summit it is then, or maybe spinningwheels, I'll see who's cheaper. ;) The 1 1/4" will do. I'll order them up next week.

The car is very clean and the only rust I've found on it is on the sub frame mount supports. There is still lots of metal but flaking has occurred.

BTW, The new bushings that you'll get from ADDCO are JUNK! They ream out smaller bushings, and don't do a very good job. And, you may end up breaking the stock rear mounts.

You can either buy and make new rear bushings and mounts following what I've done, or simply buy a bolt-on kit from me.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=62344

Also, the size of the holes in the front sway bars are too large to properly install the end links on every ADDCO bar I've ever seen. If you run into this, then shims will make them fit properly.

Use a piece of a stainless steel hose clamp, form it into a cone, and put it in the hole in the sway bar before installing the links. Put the gap in the shims at either 3 or 9 O'clock.

You can also buy Energy Suspension mounts for the front bar that just bolt on. See the link I posted above for the part number.

HPIM4218.jpg

HPIM4250.jpg

HPIM4252.jpg

HPIM0439.JPG

Great I'll pick up yours for the rear and the Energy stuff for the front.

Next week I should be ordering, got about $5000 in the pipeline. ;)

Is it worth trying to replace the subframe supports? They are pretty rusty although all they seem to do is center the subframe mounts. The bits that are attached to the car just in front of the back wheels and hold the bottom of the subframe mount bolts are pretty flaky.

Is it worth trying to replace the subframe supports? They are pretty rusty although all they seem to do is center the subframe mounts. The bits that are attached to the car just in front of the back wheels and hold the bottom of the subframe mount bolts are pretty flaky.

if you can find a rust free set, and all the bolts aren't rusted in place, they are pretty easy to replace. i would replace them. i did once already.

and with 5 grand in other expenses, you don't want some rusty subframe brackets on your ride.

Great I'll pick up yours for the rear and the Energy stuff for the front.

Next week I should be ordering, got about $5000 in the pipeline. ;)

With the stock rubber sub-frame mounts, they're crucial. And they're still available, last I checked, and fairly cheap @ less than $20 each, so why not?

But before you decide to start removing the sub-frame bolts, read this:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=77102

HPIM1816.jpg

I signed up for three sites that cover the Mark VIII and this one is so far ahead of the others it's a bit ridiculous.

Thanks, I shall prepare myself and do a long soak down with some good liquids. I wonder if it might be smarter to just drill the two holes and soak it down from above. I will be doing the entire rear in 6 months or so, well that is the plan anyway.

Thanks

I signed up for three sites that cover the Mark VIII and this one is so far ahead of the others it's a bit ridiculous.

Thanks, I shall prepare myself and do a long soak down with some good liquids. I wonder if it might be smarter to just drill the two holes and soak it down from above. I will be doing the entire rear in 6 months or so, well that is the plan anyway.

Thanks

Try drilling small holes that are just large enough for the wand on a can of PB Blaster. ;) If that works, you can easily patch the holes with a bit of black silicone.

Members online

No members online now.
Back