Belt tensioner and Idler Pullies

The Rev

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I need to buy new ones. How much? Ebay search yielded nothing, is Max gonna be my guy for this?

I'm getting a squeak (not loud, just annoying) and I it's coming from that area. I sprayed wd-40 on it while the car was off, being careful not to oversoak it, and it stopped for about...30 seconds.

I've been reading about underdrive pullies, how much? Worth it? But with my battery light still coming on I wouldn't want to cut any power output.

Last edited:
I know Rock Auto sell 'em but Max will probably be your best bet.

ATI do a nice under drive crank pulley. (see mike schultz' thread)

Trouble is, it costs around 500 bux! :eek:

Steeda do one too, not sure how much that one is though.

Sounds like you may need a new alt soon - PA performance do some nice ones! :)

Wish i had some spare $$$ right now! :mad:

have you replaced the belt recently? are you SURE its not a belt noise. If the tensioner is wineing(sp?) then Max at Five Star is the man on all ford parts. But a belt is the first thing to do, then start eliminating tensioners..

yeah exactly check the belt i just went and bought brand new idler and tensioner pullies and put them on just to find out it was the belt. take a small wire brush and with it running, rub the wire brush over the ribbed side of the belt and if the squeek goes away go buy a belt. mine was pissing me off i finally changed everything!! now she is quiet.

have you replaced the belt recently? are you SURE its not a belt noise. If the tensioner is wineing(sp?) then Max at Five Star is the man on all ford parts. But a belt is the first thing to do, then start eliminating tensioners..

I just changed the belt over the weekend because it was making noise. And it was only a couple of months old. Went to four stores to find the gatorback belt since I was geting some slipping at high rpm.

The pullies themselves are available seperately, and are dirt cheap and easy to change.

for the idler pully.. just unbolt the center bolt and replace
for the tensioner, take the 3 bolts off that hold the tensioner to the block.. flip it over.. and change the pulley the same way you did the idler pulley

FWI: they are the SAME PULLEY.. so if they say they "dont have the tensioner pully" and they do have the idler pulley.. get TWO IDLER PULLLIES.

it's a 15-30 minute job.. tops

Yeah what he said... it's really easy... my gf actually did it cause I was still at work... they're like 15 bucks a piece... I think I got two Idler Pullies and a gatorbackbelt all for around 50 total from checkers... not bad and it took like 20 minutes just cause she said she had to pull the tensioner off like 2 times cause the belt ran through it...

my idler pulley & tensioner were both making noise in the past. The bearings were dry. I replaced them & not a problem since. Around $20 bux at the parts store.

my tensioner pulley was quiet but the spring tension got weak (around130k~ish, also at boscobel last year) on the tensioner allowing the belt to squeal

Yeah rich thats what mine sounds like. While I have the money, I wont be cheap about it. The parts aren't expensive and sooner or later they'll need it so I ordered it all from Max today, as well as the oil filter adapter gasket. I'm gonna hope to get my front end and all the various parts I'm replacing here and there done in 1 day in the next few weeks

Replaced mine!

I replaced both pulleys on my 93, but it squeaks as the motor warms up. Quite on startup, but the longer you drive it the nosier it gets.

I replaced both pulleys on my 93, but it squeaks as the motor warms up. Quite on startup, but the longer you drive it the nosier it gets.

Me too. Replaced both pullies and the belt on my 1996. It was quiet for a while, but started squealing again recently. Don't buy the pullies from Advance Auto Parts. The ones I got were apparently junk.:(

got mine from max. I ordered parts from about 5 different places last week, and the last thing I bought was a torque wrench on ebay friday. Thats already here but none of the parts, bah

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My car had the squeek. It had 25k miles at the time and the original belt.;)

Replaced both pullies, still had the squeek. Got a gatorback belt, no squeek.:D

wherever u get the pulley, its gonna be the same one, ive gotten one from Team Ford, another from Rock Auto, and another thru my local dealer.............same brand on each freaking pulley, all 3 of them, 'made in japan' , just find the cheapest price :D

off topic: does your guys belts squeak at a WOT 1-2 shift? should i expect that?

I didn't notice it before the new trans and Xcal. Started noticing it about the same time it started making noise. Just switched to a gatorback belt and no more noise and it doesn't seem to slip during the 1-2 anymore.

also check into a gates belt, thats the best you can buy. but it does sound like the tensioner is weak. have you tried any belt dressing? that could quite it down until you have time to properly fix it.

Was going to install a DAYCO belt tensioner, but changed my mind. Decided to return it and go with Motorcraft. Bought it at Advance and noticed the Zone sells it also.
Not going to waste my time with it.

David

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My car had the squeek. It had 25k miles at the time and the original belt.;)

Replaced both pullies, still had the squeek. Got a gatorback belt, no squeek.:D

I ONLY use gatorback belts! I have learned over the years.:)

Was going to install a DAYCO belt tensioner, but changed my mind.

I don't know about the tensioner s but defendantly not their hoses or belts. :(

I run Gates stuff from O'Rileys all the time. They have the pulleys under Gates too.

I've never run a Goodyear gatorback, but I have run Goodyear hoses before.

I consider them a half step above Dayco.

Ive had no luck with dayco stuff. I bought one to accomodate my underdrive but it started squeeking about 2-3 months ago and I just bought a gatorback. Dont buy cheap! thats all I have to say.

Members online

No members online now.
Back