ballast works cheaper $$$

The inverter can be made into a two phase ballast

no. it can not. it is still a single stage ballast. it now simply has 2 trigger wires.
you're simply lighting it two different ways. any perceived difference in light output is probably because it doesn't get enough power from one circuit (running lights), and turning on the 2nd circuit (brake lights) gives it the power needed to operate correctly.

i do not believe using that ballast can give you anything like OEM operation. get a glitch ballast.

if what you described is so easy, why didn't Ford do it that way?

If you're trying to say that in technical terms it is not a two step ballast, then yes, you would be correct. However it can be converted to work in a two phase operation thanks to the diode the vendor supplies. So... Yes, yes it can and it most certainly does work as a two step inverter. In case you missed it, tbirddmnd even edited his last post to include the update by the vendor which indicates what you need to make it a 2 step appliance.

I don't understand the skepticism surrounding this route to light the neon. Is it because it's a cheaper method to light the neon besides through the already known & trusted avenues within this little circle of Mark VIII owners?

And what's with the pathetic attempt to have me explain to you FORD's logic in using the Sylvania ballasts for a Sylvania neon lamp? If you feel that you really need to know, then e-mail them instead of asking me the rhetorical question.

This does, in fact, light the neon. No argument there.

The argument lies in the fact that this does does not function in the same way as the stock setup.

The stock setup lights up the neon at 2 certain levels.

When you turn on the headlights, it's one level of brighness. Arbitrarily, we'll say it's level 6.

When you step on the brakes, the neon lights up at a higher level of brightness. In relation to the first level, it would be say, a level 10.

With the DC45 and a diode, all you're doing is lighting up the neon at one level, maybe a 7 or so...

Turn on the lights, level 7.

Hit the brakes, level 7.

The Glitch ballast perfectly recreates the OEM intentions...

Thanks scallywag! I'm going to save the info for future reference. I do have one DC-45, and I replaced my blown stock ballast with a used stock ballast. However I don't know how long it's going to last. When it does go bad I'll try wiring it up as you suggest, now that I know what wires do what function. Mine is a 97 LSC.

The site says that you need TWO ballasts for this to work, in conjunction with the two diodes. I'm guessing a lower voltage transformer would be good for the running lights and then the higher voltage for the brakes?

Yea, I saw that and forgot to clear up that that particular fix of using 2 inverters that the update mentions is for the Cadillac CTS' rear light.

In this thread to a similar Cadillac fansite, the OP describes a similar problem with the CTS' rear trunk light as with our neons and he also happened to come across the DC20 as a cheaper alternative to what I assume is a costly OEM replacement ballast. The OP goes on to describe in this post the use of 2 of the $20 ballasts and a diode to achieve optimal lighting which most of the members posting seem to have intentions of doing the same given their comments. So no doubt people from that circle have ordered the double treatment which is about $70 now since the DC20s now cost $23.95.

Our lights only need the one inverter(DC45) plus the diode to get the two different level of brightness, which is why it also states after the red text that it can be made into a two step inverter using their ultra fast diode. If I recall correctly, the CTS rear light is one phase as it only turns on when pressing on the brake(I could be wrong) while the Mark VIII's is obviously two, which would kind make sense why they posted their update like that.

However, I suppose you can also do like that cat from the CTS and use a DC20 along with a DC45 on our neons as well. Good luck!

Our lights only need the one inverter(DC45) plus the diode to get the two different level of brightness.
Just not true.
Can we please stick to facts here.
Diodes will not change the output on a DC45 Transformer.
it has one level of output....period.
4500v 20ma...
The 600V 30A TO247 Ultra-Fast Diode only allows electricity to flow in only one direction.
That is its only purpose in this application.
It simply will not amplify the output of a DC45 Transformer.

I don't care what your misunderstanding leads you to conclude about the use of this inverter, but with the diode it helps operate both levels of brightness instead of just being one constant brightness level.

Deal with it and enjoy the cheaper fix. If you want to spend more money using the other avenues, that's fine, but that does not invalidate the fact that there is yet another method to light both of the neon's phases using this technique.

Get over it already.

I don't care what your misunderstanding leads you to conclude about the use of this inverter, but with the diode it helps operate both levels of brightness instead of just being one constant brightness level.
Again with the false information.
I Understand the neon, this transformer, and also how a diode works.
Deal with it and enjoy the cheaper fix. If you want to spend more money using the other avenues, that's fine, but that does not invalidate the fact that there is yet another method to light both of the neon's phases using this technique.

Get over it already.
I am dealing with this.
I have wired in a DC45 as posted.
I am in contact with Information Unlimited, by e-mail and phone.
I am going to order a DC20 today.
I am going to open up the trunk slot so both these transformers will fit in the stock location.
I will post pic's on how to wire this properly and were the diodes go.
Its nice you posted a link to amazing1 that produces a 12volt ballast,
but don't think your sticking to the facts.

If you have made a DC45 a two step ballast then post up pics.
Lets see the pics and a video of it working as you say it does.
Put up or shut up.

Get over it already.

The most common function of a diode is to allow an electric current to pass in one direction (called the diode's forward direction), while blocking current in the opposite direction (the reverse direction). Thus, the diode can be thought of as an electronic version of a check valve.

In the words of Billy Bob Thornton in the movie Bad Santa...

ARE YOU FUKKING WITH ME?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peJWxqEVXPY

ok you monkey.

Some automobiles use neon transformers to power brake lights, directionals, and rear tail lights. We have had customers who have had these systems fail only to find that replacement costs are $400-700, and they have discovered that an easy fix is the use of 2 of our DC-series automobile transformers connected with diodes, which we sell here. Please note you, the customer, must know the electrical hookup of your vehicle, that we do not provide this information and we cannot guarantee performance with your vehicle as we have no idea of its design parameters. The diodes with which our customers have had success (600V 30A “TO247 ultra-fast” for making a 2-step ballast) are available here for purchase. You will need 1 diode per transformer:

what they ACTUALLY said was that customers building a replacement power supply were able to make a 2 stage ballasts using TWO ballasts and some diodes.

they use diodes when making a two step ballast, FROM TWO BALLASTS. not turning a single stage ballasts into something it can't be.

Correct.
I think a DC 20 combined with a DC 45 you give you working running lights and brake.....stayed tuned.
Waiting for the DC 20 to come in the mail.

I think I read on another website that these ballasts are not sufficiently sealed for outdoor use. Since there's a good possibility they'll get wet, You guys might want to look at using some RTV on any wire penetrations on the inverter, or anywhere that looks like moisture could enter.

I think I read on another website that these ballasts are not sufficiently sealed for outdoor use. Since there's a good possibility they'll get wet, You guys might want to look at using some RTV on any wire penetrations on the inverter, or anywhere that looks like moisture could enter.

Well, if I read this statement correctly, yet another reason why NOT to go the cheaper route...

If this is true then this is simply out of the question, Why spend $50.00 now then in a few months have to buy the glitch ballast anyway if this one gets wet... Hmmm, food for thought. I was really thinking of getting this one but now I'm leaning towards going the other route. :(

OK...a DC20 does not have the power to light up the neon.
Just don't have the nuts...

Thanks Fordnut. Is the glitch ballast fairly simple to install ? I read i would have to reuse the base plate. Other than that is just splice a few wires ?

Thanks, so then two DC-45s? I'm lost
I have a call into a local neon repair shop, I am not sure how you reduce the output of a DC45, or if I want to keep after this, it takes time away for the 10,000 other things I want to get done.
would the diodes help in varying the brightness between running lights and brake lights?
No not in the 12volt input side.
If not then the Glitch ballast looks better and better.
Sure does.

Thanks Fordnut. Is the glitch ballast fairly simple to install ? I read i would have to reuse the base plate. Other than that is just splice a few wires ?
Yes, he will give you a write up how to wire it.
Simple, easy, better then a junkyard ballast.

Installed my glitch ballast and works great. Had to adjust the brightness for parking lights and brake lights. I wasn't sure about the ground wire so I ran it from the original trunk ground to base of ballast, which also has the ground coming out the keyhole. Does anyone know what the white plastic screws are for that come with the ballast?

Installed my glitch ballast and works great. Had to adjust the brightness for parking lights and brake lights. I wasn't sure about the ground wire so I ran it from the original trunk ground to base of ballast, which also has the ground coming out the keyhole. Does anyone know what the white plastic screws are for that come with the ballast?

Glad you have it installed and working.
Its been about 3 years since I installed a glitch I think the plastic screws are for mounting it, if you don't need them...toss them.
Its nice to know a glitch is still available.
Worth the extra money IMHO. ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back