Autolite sparkplugs.

WackyWRZ

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that Walmart sells Autolite plugs in a 2 Pack for $1.98 so I thought that those "high-perf" users out there using colder plugs might find this email I got from Autolite useful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Atkins,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Fram filters. We welcome the opportunity
to be of assistance.

The AP764 recommended for the 1994 Mark VIII is equivalent to the Motorcraft
AWSF-32C spark plug. One step colder than
the AP764 is the Autolite AP103, the equivalent to AWSF-22C.

Thank you for choosing Autolite spark plugs. We hope you have found this
information helpful.

Cordially,

Joslyn Summers
Catalog/Technical Service Representative
Catalog/Technical Service Department

Thank You!!

BTW, I just ordered the AWSF-22c's. I'll have to look for the Autolite AP103.

just ran out and got a set myself. all I have to do now is finish cleaning the garage so I can get to work........ :)

I picked up the AWSF-22Cs the other day. I need to prep 'em by doing the nitrous mod and gap them to 0.048". What would be cool is a back to back comparison with the Autolite 764s either at a track or with the Tazzo VPC.

:L

Joey, I cleaned the garage last weekend. ;)
Work and yardwork this weekend. :(
Track next weekend? :cool:

Last edited:
driller said:
I picked up the AWSF-22Cs the other day. I need to prep 'em by doing the nitrous mod and gap them to 0.048". What would be cool is a back to back comparison with the Autolite 764s either at a track or with the

What exactly do you use to round the corners off, I assume a little dremel? I may be ordering the NGK iridiums from www.NGK.com. They're almost 1/2 of the price of a Denso, and the center electrode looks very thin which I would assume makes for a better spark?

Geno once said the denso irridium were not worth the money --- DOnt know about these.

Maybe he'll chime in soon.

driller said:
A file does fine.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=73&page=2&pp=20

Nothing against NGK, I just don't know about the iridiums.

I guarantee that you will not have a problem with the 764's under ANY circumstances.
Great example is Lidio at Alternative Auto "Modular engine king" and he runs ONE heat range for ALL applications, sc, nos, anything.

Just use them....jeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, we have been doing this car soley for 7 years.

I do not tout these if I didn't know what I ws talking about.

Bottom line is Spark plugs are a GIMMICK!!!!!

The simplest and cheapest works best under normal conditions.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to disagree here Geno.When Lidio was tuninig my car we used my 22cs and he and I discussed it at length.We were on the same page.
I have PERSONALLY seen power made ON the dyno by switching to a colder plug which gets the engine off of the knock sensors.

I know you like what you like, but I know what I have seen results from.

unstoppable said:
I'm going to have to disagree here Geno.When Lidio was tuninig my car we used my 22cs and he and I discussed it at length.We were on the same page.
I have PERSONALLY seen power made ON the dyno by switching to a colder plug which gets the engine off of the knock sensors.

I know you like what you like, but I know what I have seen results from.

Chris, feel free to call Lidio and ask him about the conversation we had in length about this.

He told me and I quote "I use ONE plug for everything" I am just relaying messages that I was told thats all.

Here they go

Geno:F Chris​

And the rest of us​
:p :p
:p :p :p
:p :p

Last edited:
I don't know if you guys remember this or not, but I made BACK To BACK pulls on the dyno to find out exactly what the difference was between my NGKs and the 12Cs.....First run was with my worn (~15K) NGKs, second pull was with a brand new set of 12Cs. I put down 8 more RWHP on the second pull. I don't know if that was because of the 12Cs, or because I was comparing used plugs to new ones, but the bottom line was that I gained 8HP by spending just a little time and a few bucks.

Just changing the plugs was worth more than all my other mods combined. I did the same thing with a chip and exhaust (one pull before modding and one after), and both of them were worth about 6 HP. She sounded a whole lot better, shifted better and supposedly will run past 130, but that has yet to be seen. :)

Kale

Well....I will let you guys know on Sat (IF i get my stuff that I ordered from Max at 5 Star or not) what the difference is. Now, I KNOW my plugs and wires are OLD....to say the least.....but I ordered some 12C's and some FRP wires (the 9MM joints) today, and he said that they should be here on Friday....at the latest....and he has YET to let me down (by the way....Max is DA MAN when it comes to parts....now he knows me prolly better than most....at least recently since I prolly have spent close to $900 in parts since I have owned the 'Barney Mobile', I mean he practically knows my voice when I call......he is DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hands down simply the best there is). I am scheduled to go to the track on Sat to see the difference that the old plugs/wires make as compared to the new ones. HOPEFULLY I can get better lights (not that it makes a difference, but you get my point) and get a better time than 15.5......then the exhaust is next....then off to the track....... :Beer

djKale said:
I don't know if you guys remember this or not, but I made BACK To BACK pulls on the dyno to find out exactly what the difference was between my NGKs and the 12Cs.....First run was with my worn (~15K) NGKs, second pull was with a brand new set of 12Cs. I put down 8 more RWHP on the second pull. I don't know if that was because of the 12Cs, or because I was comparing used plugs to new ones, but the bottom line was that I gained 8HP by spending just a little time and a few bucks.

Just changing the plugs was worth more than all my other mods combined. I did the same thing with a chip and exhaust (one pull before modding and one after), and both of them were worth about 6 HP. She sounded a whole lot better, shifted better and supposedly will run past 130, but that has yet to be seen. :)

Kale

Kale, your not the only one to find power with these plugs.Nightsky and myself have also done back to back dynos and found 6-10 RWHP.New plugs to new plugs.
Oh ya Geno, this was with your favorite 764s.

unstoppable said:
Kale, your not the only one to find power with these plugs.Nightsky and myself have also done back to back dynos and found 6-10 RWHP.New plugs to new plugs.
Oh ya Geno, this was with your favorite 764s.

Also if your plugs are beat then of course you will get a gain from new plugs. Everytime I go to the track I change the plugs to BRAND NEW ones.

I just installed them in my TC the other day, and the butt dyno says it smoothed out shifts, and restored lost power. Don't know if it actually had HP gains, but it feels way better than the old motorsport plugs.

Hey guys, I know that Walmart sells Autolite plugs in a 2 Pack for $1.98 so I thought that those "high-perf" users out there using colder plugs might find this email I got from Autolite useful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Atkins,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding Fram filters. We welcome the opportunity
to be of assistance.

The AP764 recommended for the 1994 Mark VIII is equivalent to the Motorcraft
AWSF-32C spark plug. One step colder than
the AP764 is the Autolite AP103, the equivalent to AWSF-22C.

Thank you for choosing Autolite spark plugs. We hope you have found this
information helpful.

Cordially,

Joslyn Summers
Catalog/Technical Service Representative
Catalog/Technical Service Department

AP103 is a platinum spark plug - awsf-22c is a copper spark plug
AP764 is the autolite recommended factory plug - i have 103 plugs here, im assuming they are the same thing but not platinum. Anyone clear this up, im going to call autolite right now and figure this out.

autolite103el2.jpg

i love answering my own questions! autolites customer service is bar none! they have a race tech guy that will talk to you about what plugs to run and what gaps etc.

he recommends for 100 shot, AR103, which are pregapped to .034 that you would be perfect for the application i described to him. In the meantime im going to run these 103's,

btw AP103 is still a copper core just has platinum treated something or other. im gonna gap these regular 103's to .054 because they come factory .044 he said, because im not raising the compression - just yet :)

or should i just get the ar103's and put them in and call it a day, i wont be seeing nitrous probably until May - however i read another member who ran them on and off no problem, best part is I wouldn't have to gap the AR103

I have the 103s gaped at .034 with a 150 shot. I have noticed a slight knock at low RPMs on a hard acceleration. They are fine in the upper rpm range. I might have to agree with Geno, The OEM plugs are perfect for any application. The colder plugs might be confusing my knock sensor. IMO not good for daily driving.

ok im going to run autolite 103 gapped at .054... they cost me like 5 bucks, if they don't work ill take em out and put in the stock autolites, they only had 7 of the stock ones there so i grabbed up the 103's which are one step colder. if they dont work right for my application, the gene recomended 764 whatever they are plugs go in viola. The race tech at autolite told me ide be fine with the 103's for a more aggressive application.
damn 150 shot, thats what im talking about. It's time to get busy.

Also,

spoke to a ford parts guy on saturday who personally called motorcraft direct for me and told me the skinny on these motorcraft part numbers awsfa-12c awsf-22c what have you. Explained to him about dohc 4.6 running steps colder. They do not make those parts anymore, and the closest thing motorcraft is AGSF-12F-M1
I'm not going to argue with a Ford Parts guy who personally called Motorcraft for me, then called me like he said he would on Monday - when motorcraft was open. Just FYI for anyone who wants to be able to deal with people in person when it comes to stock motorcraft parts. I'm not knocking Max, matter of fact i didn't even talk or deal with Max at all, cuz i was told he could get them what have you, i just didn't want to go that route... - so i went the autolite route which my parts guy carry's, because ive seen the debates in the search about spark plugs. And i was a skeptic at first because the guys running the low NA numbers are running these motorcraft numbers. All and all - the proof is in the pudding, but as far as the part in hand.

+1 Autolite +1 Gene @ LMS

150 shot, would't that need two step colder plugs for that much compression? im assuming that you dyno tuned that much n20... - so'd you know if you were still in the clear as far as detonation goes.

Abraham, keep in mind this thread is from 2004 - Ford has changed plugs & naming since then.

The colder plugs might be confusing my knock sensor. IMO not good for daily driving.

No, colder plugs cannot "confuse" your knock sensor. The only problem with daily driving a cold plug is fouling them. I ran AR94s (one step colder from the 103s) from when I installed my nitrous setup until I pulled it off to install on my TBird - I managed to avoid fouling them daily driving...

Members online

No members online now.
Back