Are You A "Shade Tree Mechanic"?

That is what I think about your airbag fix.
Stupid and dangerous.

YouTube- Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote - refrigerator

Maybe. But it worked. It may be temporary, but it'll keep the springs from leaking until I get new ones. And, personally, I don't see the "danger" aspect of it. Any air spring can blow out. Even new ones. One of the Arnott's I bought several years ago explosively decompressed while I was driving it home. And it was only a year old. I heard a POP! and a WHOOSH! and then the front was on the ground. This happened at 50+ MPH and all I did was slow down and pull off the road. Then I limped it home and got some used spring/shocks off ebay until I could afford new ones. You don't have to do what I did. Nobody's forcing you to. I did what several others have done and it worked for me. I knew the risks and I felt the benefits outweighed them.

Like I said, the question was posed by the OP and I answered it. I stated what I did to temporarily remedy my leaky air spring problem on my personal car and stated my positive results. I gave no advice, nor did I specifically tell anyone to do this. Just because it worked for me doesn't mean it will work for you. That is the case with any temporary remedy. You don't have to agree with me. You don't have to do what we did. It is still a free country.

As to the OP of this thread: Good luck and I hope everything works out fine for you.

Oh yeah, I LOVE the Roadrunner!!! Awesome cartoons. They just don't make 'em like that anymore. Such violence!!

Maybe we should start a thaywood thread.

Incredible fixes on a shoe string budget.

With photos.

Like here

LOL here is your door handle :)

129162650070211351.jpg

Hmmm. That's not such a bad idea. It would actually be quite interesting to see what people do to get by when they don't have a lot of mony to throw at their cars. Sometimes you have to do whatever you can get by with if you are broke. Which I am most of the time. Yeah, I know I've got the wrong car. But I love my Marks!!!!!

we used piss in my buddies corolla as coolant for 2 weeks, you should have seen all the water bottles! couldnt believe that thing took it for that long. it was still going we did it for fun because he was buying a 4 runner.

This has become redonkulous, discombobulated and down right re-re. Google those words. They don't exist like this thread shouldn't. This is stupid and I can't understand why this has gone on this far. Many people have directly said to you 2 guys this is a bad idea. Why am I the only one pushing the fact. When someone searches our forum now this will come up for all kinds of suspension words. And could one day cause damage to a car that didn't want to be damaged.

i am currently 17 years old! no shock there eh? haha its k on that same corolla we used gorilla glue to fill a hole in his tire from a nail, lasted about... i dont even think it was a day.

Ha! Gorilla glue is great! I used it to patch a crack in my radiator for a couple of days while I waited for my new one to get here. Worked great!:)

This has become redonkulous, discombobulated and down right re-re. Google those words. They don't exist like this thread shouldn't. This is stupid and I can't understand why this has gone on this far. Many people have directly said to you 2 guys this is a bad idea. Why am I the only one pushing the fact. When someone searches our forum now this will come up for all kinds of suspension words. And could one day cause damage to a car that didn't want to be damaged.

You mean words like air springs, upper and lower control arms, ball joints, sway bar links, wheel bearings, inner and outer tie rod ends, strut rod bushings, shock absorbers, coil springs, shock mounts, oh I could go on and on.:cool:

You mean words like air springs, upper and lower control arms, ball joints, sway bar links, wheel bearings, inner and outer tie rod ends, strut rod bushings, shock absorbers, coil springs, shock mounts, oh I could go on and on.:cool:

more like stupid things to not do to your car..

I used to not pay my car note when I was 17. My parents would take the car from me. I had an extra key & took it for a few days. So the next time it was taken, my genius stepdad took about 8 fuses from under the hood. Copper speaker wire works great. Shortly afterwards they gave up;)

HPIM1158.jpg

And this will be my last post in both of these M.R. [mentally retarded] threads.

This was the first post that started it all
Other than the hole that houses the solenoid, is there a bigger hole I could put the sealant in? At the top of the strut, there is a big bolt. Does removing that bolt give access to filling the strut?

I should also mention that I am aware of all the consequences of this procedure. Also, this is actually a test experiment to test how this product works with this application. And no, it is not Slime.

Then it was responded to in this manner
if you want to ruin ALL of your suspension components, instead of just having one bad one, by all means do it.

Then this was also said in the same manner
Well if you truly don't care about the damage you are going to do to the bags I would recommend you just drill yourself a hole in the bag whatever size you want to easily fill it. Then you can really test the sealant to see if it fills that hole too! :eek:

But unfortunately the 3rd reply was from this guy:slam

DO NOT TAKE THE NUT OFF THE TOP!!! As for the sealant, I've got green slime in the front air springs on both of my Marks. I've got a '96 with Arnott front air spring/shocks that are over a year old. No problems yet...knock on wood. I've also got a 1997 LSC with some slight dryrot on the front springs. They were leaking down overnight when I got the car. I took them off and put some green slime in the springs and they don't leak down anymore. That's been over two months ago. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but since I could not afford new air spring/shock units for the '97, I had no choice. I put the slime in the new springs on the '96 as a precaution against dryrot. So far it has worked. I've heard about the crystalization of green slime and how it can damage the air spring. So far, I've had no problems. Also, I've got half a bottle of green slime that's been sitting on a shelf in my utility room for about 3 years and it is just as fluid now as it was when I first bought it.

Now that all the Bs has been said, and the shat was talked. We find out this. :eek:

I added the following to my signature and as of today, the contaminated air suspension system still has not failed. What an excellent car!!
Air suspension bags treated with tire sealant on 4/26/2010

And then more shat was talked for a little.

You do realize "idiocricy" is not a real word, right?:lol:

Edit: Oops. It is a real word. Just spelled wrong. It should be "idiocracy". It means a government that is based upon abstract theory. Interesting use of that particular word.

Then we discovered this,,, that the op is a cheapass who is just going to fix this car cheap and run it into the ground. I personally would rather see one tore apart for parts then drove like an old Omni [not the shelby of course]. We will all have the oppurtinity to see this car jerry-rigged and fall apart.

Fortunately, money is not tight for me despite the terrible economy however; my philosophy has always been to not put much money into vehicles and to drive them until they drop. The car is here to serve me and when it no longer does that, it goes to the crushers.

My plan is to buy a used pair of front air struts for cheap. I’ll keep one strut in the trunk with the tools to change it out in case I’m on the road. I’ll also bring some tire sealant along to treat the used air bladders and/or tires.

And most of all, thanks for the tips. I have already saved nearly $400 had I bought new air struts.

I guess my point in all this was had Thaywood not given this option this would have never been thought possible by the OP. And that has been my point from the start. GOOD DAY!:D

And this will be my last post in both of these M.R. [mentally retarded] threads.

This was the first post that started it all

Then it was responded to in this manner

Then this was also said in the same manner

But unfortunately the 3rd reply was from this guy:slam

Now that all the Bs has been said, and the shat was talked. We find out this. :eek:

And then more shat was talked for a little.

Then we discovered this,,, that the op is a cheapass who is just going to fix this car cheap and run it into the ground. I personally would rather see one tore apart for parts then drove like an old Omni [not the shelby of course]. We will all have the oppurtinity to see this car jerry-rigged and fall apart.

I guess my point in all this was had Thaywood not given this option this would have never been thought possible by the OP. And that has been my point from the start. GOOD DAY!:D

Okay. I guess you didn't forget about the shadetree thread. Oh well. Nice to see ya gone. Have a good one. It's been real, and it's been fun, but it ain't been real fun!

However, your incessant babbling has been quite entertaining. And in a small...miniscule way, I sort of hate to see you go. At least I could read one of your posts and get a good laugh every once in a while.

Oh, BTW, the OP (of the slime thread) had this idea before I said anything. And I actually got the idea from this very forum a couple of years ago. I also know several people who have done this. So blaming this on me is a logical fallacy. But I would expect nothing less from you. Have a nice day.

while i do not recommend this method of air bag fix, i heard of this being done sometime around 1990-ish, i knew of people who fixed mark 7 and cadillac air bags from cars of the 80's

i bet more than a hundred times,if not more,this has been done.
i would not do it,but i am not shocked one bit that others may try it when they need a cheap repair.

my bigger issue is comparing a jerry rigger mechanic to a shadetree mechanic,they are not one in the same even if a shadetree mechanic may perform jerry riggin repairs ,it is not what determines a shadetree mechanic.

happy sliming!!

I had a 96 Chrysler Concorde with a 3.3 V6 in 2002-03, it was clean and basically boring, barely able to get out of it's own way, and had many issues with rack bushings...it developed a dead miss, and after determing that is was in cylinder #1 I did a compression test, got a high reading, it had spark and the injector was clicking-took off the valve cover, the PEDESTAL for the rocker had broken off, actually a known problem with these engines. Instead of removing and replacing the head, I JB WELDED the pedestal back on, let it sit for 2 days, and drove it for the next 2 years, that fixed it and it ran smoothly. It was a beater, but it ran great and I did disclose this to the buyer when I sold it a couple of years later. He said didn't care and wanted it for his high school daughter's first car-she is still driving it, I see it a couple of times a week, her Dad told me he has never done anything to it other than oil changes, brakes, and rack bushings. It had about 45,000 on the clock when this happened and now has over 150,000.

I have, in the past, done things to vehicles to 'make do', as long as it is not a major safety issue. Now that I have numerous cars, I can park one if it needs repair, but back in the day I did whatever it took.

And, to this day, I still think of what a little McGyverism and JB weld can do.

while i do not recommend this method of air bag fix, i heard of this being done sometime around 1990-ish, i knew of people who fixed mark 7 and cadillac air bags from cars of the 80's

i bet more than a hundred times,if not more,this has been done.
i would not do it,but i am not shocked one bit that others may try it when they need a cheap repair.

my bigger issue is comparing a jerry rigger mechanic to a shadetree mechanic,they are not one in the same even if a shadetree mechanic may perform jerry riggin repairs ,it is not what determines a shadetree mechanic.

happy sliming!!

Heck yeah. People have been doing this for as long as cars have had air springs. I'd be willing to bed when the Edsel came out in '58 with air suspension, somebody put fix-a-flat in one of them when the air springs started leaking. All I can say is that I did it. Yeppers, I sure did. And I have had zero problems. No clogged solonoids. No clogged air lines. No clogged compressor. Oh yeah, and no leaky air springs. Everybody has the choice. If you are short on cash and have a slow leak in your air spring, you have to do what you have to do. I chose to try the sealant route. You may not. People are smart enough to decide for themselves whether or not to do things like this. I knew all about the "consequences" of this remedy. Yet I examined the situation and decided that it could be done with few if any adverse effects.

Let's examine some of the adverse effects.

1. Clogged solonoids: In order for the solonoids to get clogged, the sealant must actually enter the solonoid valves. In the case of "green slime", the sealant settles to the bottom of the spring. The only possible way for the stuff to get into the solonoid would be if the housing was not thoroughly cleaned after introducing the sealant into the spring. Once the sealant is inside the spring and settles to the bottom and seals the cracks, there is no possible way it will work against gravity and creep back up the inner wall of the air spring and clog the solonoid.

2. Clogged air lines: Again, once the sealant is introduced into the spring and settles, there is not much chance of it getting into anything but the cracks in the fold of the air spring and sealing them.

3. Clogged/Damaged compressor: Again, see both paragraphs above. In order for the sealant to get into the compressor, one would actually have to introduce it into the comprerssor itself via the air lines or valves themselves.

Once again, I am not recommending this procedure to anyone. I had to do this due to my lack of money. I had no choice. If you aren't short on cash and you can go buy a new set of air springs, by all means, do so. I didn't have that option. I had to do what I had to do to make sure the car was drivable until I could properly repair the problem.

This has become redonkulous, discombobulated and down right re-re. Google those words. They don't exist like this thread shouldn't..

That's your opinion. And I respect that. However, this is a DISCUSSION forum. This place exists for discussion. There will always be disagreements. That's why we are all here. To get as much useful information as possible about our cars. We will have to simply agree to disagree on this particular point. It's as simple as that.

This is stupid and I can't understand why this has gone on this far.

It's only stupid to you. You seem to be the most vocal detractor here (fordnut comes close, but at least he's relatively civil in his disagreement). I can understand your position, but again, this is a discussion forum. We are here to discuss. That's what we do. If you have nothing meaningful to add to the conversation other than insults and name calling, by all means go elsewhere.

Many people have directly said to you 2 guys this is a bad idea. Why am I the only one pushing the fact.

You're not. You're just beating a dead horse. And it is getting old. We all know it's a bad idea. I even said that myself. But if there's no other option, sometimes you have to do things that you don't want to do to keep your car going until it can be properly repaired later. That's just life.

When someone searches our forum now this will come up for all kinds of suspension words. And could one day cause damage to a car that didn't want to be damaged.

Yep. It will. And that's not a bad thing. People reading this thread will be given both sides of the issue. And then they will be able to use their own brains to decide for themselves whether or not they want to attempt this particular temporary solution. Choice is always a good thing.

I had a 96 Chrysler Concorde with a 3.3 V6 in 2002-03, it was clean and basically boring, barely able to get out of it's own way, and had many issues with rack bushings...it developed a dead miss, and after determing that is was in cylinder #1 I did a compression test, got a high reading, it had spark and the injector was clicking-took off the valve cover, the PEDESTAL for the rocker had broken off, actually a known problem with these engines. Instead of removing and replacing the head, I JB WELDED the pedestal back on, let it sit for 2 days, and drove it for the next 2 years, that fixed it and it ran smoothly. It was a beater, but it ran great and I did disclose this to the buyer when I sold it a couple of years later. He said didn't care and wanted it for his high school daughter's first car-she is still driving it, I see it a couple of times a week, her Dad told me he has never done anything to it other than oil changes, brakes, and rack bushings. It had about 45,000 on the clock when this happened and now has over 150,000.

I have, in the past, done things to vehicles to 'make do', as long as it is not a major safety issue. Now that I have numerous cars, I can park one if it needs repair, but back in the day I did whatever it took.

And, to this day, I still think of what a little McGyverism and JB weld can do.

Wow. That is awesome. JB Weld is some serious stuff. My stepson ran my '94 Explorer hot last summer and blew the head gaskets. I used an old timey mechanic's remedy to band-aid it until I could get some new head gaskets and find the time to fix it. I used liquid glass in the cooling system to seal the head gasket leaks. It worked beautifully and the Explorer ran just fine for a couple of months until I finally got around to fixing it properly. I ended up putting a set of heads on it because it got hot enough to crack both of them.

Sometimes people have to do crazy things to keep their cars running. Especially if you're on a tight budget. That's life.

thaywood

There is a right way to fix problems, and there is a wrong way.

Being cheap or being broke are two different things.
If your broke, I don't think a Mark is a wise choice to buy for transportation.
They are expensive to fix.
If you can't do your own work they become a burden.

I think that has been proven on LVC lately.

If you can do your own work then you should fix the car the right way.

Jerry rigging crap to get buy is not the way to do things, most of the time is going to cost you more in the long run.

Sure you managed to do something most people would not, and you got it to work, by no means does that make it a smart thing to do.

The next guy might get the green crap were it will do more damage and cost more to fix then new bags or a coil conversion.

If you broke OK......good luck doing this.

If you a cheap bastard, and you go this route to pinch your penny's.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED NOT TO TRY THIS.

Fix you car the right way.

thaywood

There is a right way to fix problems, and there is a wrong way.

Being cheap or being broke are two different things.
If your broke, I don't think a Mark is a wise choice to buy for transportation.
They are expensive to fix.
If you can't do your own work they become a burden.

I think that has been proven on LVC lately.

If you can do your own work then you should fix the car the right way.

Jerry rigging crap to get buy is not the way to do things, most of the time is going to cost you more in the long run.

Sure you managed to do something most people would not, and you got it to work, by no means does that make it a smart thing to do.

The next guy might get the green crap were it will do more damage and cost more to fix then new bags or a coil conversion.

If you broke OK......good luck doing this.

If you a cheap bastard, and you go this route to pinch your penny's.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED NOT TO TRY THIS.

Fix you car the right way.

Such language! It's not nice to call people names. For shame.

But we all know this. I've even said the same things you're saying many times before. Unfortunately, I am broke most of the time. When I bought my '96 Mark almost 10 years ago, I had money and I could fix it whenever it broke down. I can and do do my own repairs. As I stated earlier, I am a real mechanic. I have been for 20+ years. My dad was a mechanic. Both my grandfathers were mechanics. I get it naturally. Unfortunately, my financial situation has changed. And I really can't afford this car anymore, but I love it. And my wife just had to have that '97 LSC. And I got such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. I knew better. But it was such a nice car. Other than a minor front air spring leak, it has no other problems.

I chose the sealant route becuase I know it works. I've seen it work. And it's only temporary. I'll probably be able to get a new set of air spring/shock units this summer. Now if those springs had a big enough leak that they wouldn't hold air more than a couple of hours, it would have been a different story. But it was a very slow leak. Very minor. Sealant did the trick. I actually got the sealant advice from another member on this forum. I also got a lot of other advice for temporarily repairing leaking air springs from people here. Some good, some not so good. Out of all that, I decided to use the sealant. And it worked. And I am perfectly happy with my results.

Members online

No members online now.
Back