Filling bags with tire sealant

So how long yall think till the compressor siezes or a line/valve clogs? Being Summer is coming up my guess would be late July.

I completely understand why most folks wouldn't put sealant in their air springs. And I'm not telling anyone to do this. I'm simply stating my opinion based upon personal experience. I simply did it to preserve my springs until I can afford to get some new ones. And I will concede that it may not have been a good idea to put the stuff in my brand new front springs last year, but so far, I've had zero problems. The front springs on my wife's '97 LSC are now holding air just fine when they were leaking down overnight when we first got it. And since the green slime settles to the bottom of the spring, I doubt there's very much chance of it getting into the lines. However, there's always that possibility. As long as you thoroughly clean the solonoid opening, there should be little if any chance of the stuff getting into anything but the spring. But that's my opinion based upon personal experience. I don't want to jinx myself, but I have had the green slime in my '96 since January 2009 and have no problems to report as of yet. And once the shocks wear out on the '97, I'll get some new front air spring/shocks. But until then, I am confident that the sealant will keep the springs from leaking. Hopefully.

I wouldn't let my wife drive it.....ex wife maybe :)

I once used JB auto weld to fix a gas leak in a pinch....but I sure wouldn't tell anybody else to do it.

Come to think about it I used it on a leaky oil pan once to go another round....but the safety safari would have kicked me out if they saw me doing it.

Some things you just don't tell people :shifty:

I'll let everyone know how this experiment turns out. If it clogs the pump or the bag blows, I'll be sure to let everyone know as well. I kind of doubt anything serious will go wrong but if it does, at least I can blame myself. But so far, the car is running very well and I can say I got one heck of a car for $2500. I hope this car serves me well and very cheaply for many years to come.

A lot of poor Ideas holding a lot of Ricers together ... LOL ...
You callin me a ricer????!!!!!!

Thems fightin words.

I'll let everyone know how this experiment turns out. If it clogs the pump or the bag blows, I'll be sure to let everyone know as well. I kind of doubt anything serious will go wrong but if it does, at least I can blame myself. But so far, the car is running very well and I can say I got one heck of a car for $2500. I hope this car serves me well and very cheaply for many years to come.

If you plan on a Mark being cheap, you bought the wrong car.

Ask me how I know.

I'm glad you had success with your experiment. It was somewhat of an experiment for me as well. And so far it has worked fine. With my luck, my compressor will lock up tomorrow, but I can say that I've been driving the car every single day, 80+ miles a day for over a year without incident. Springs holding air. Compressor chugging along just fine, etc. I really hope everything works out as well for you. And you got one helluva deal on that car! I bought my '96 back in 2003 with 67K miles on it for $3900 dollars. It now has 195K on it and still running strong. I'll probably end up driving it until the wheels fall off. Anyway, good luck to ya!:)

If anyone reads this thinking that there is a solution to fixing your air ride by using some kind of Tire Selant ... Don't try it ... This is Dangerous and an unsafe practice ...

It is not a Solution to the problem ...

If anyone reads this thinking that there is a solution to fixing your air ride by using some kind of Tire Selant ... Don't try it ... This is Dangerous and an unsafe practice ...

True. It's not a solution. Nobody ever said it was. It is a temporary fix until the problem can be properly repaired. That's what I said in the first place.

Shadetree mech here, nothing derogatory about that, like saying someone is mr fixit" or handyman,

or jack of all trades,(master of none)

general term for a non pro.

Yeah Rich. You should also not put a temporary tire on your car if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere, they're not called 'maypops' for nothing. If you don't have cell coverage to call a wrecker, you shouldn't use a temp tire, just sit there on the side of the road until they put up a cell tower near you. Of course if you do have cell coverage, you probably shouldn't call a wrecker anyway, after all, your car could fall off. So just sit on the side of the road and die...

Look, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get to work in the morning. Driving with slime in your airbags is a :q:q:q:qton safer than driving on deflated bags, and a bag with an unsealed leak is more likely to pop than one with sealant in it.

Yeah Rich. You should also not put a temporary tire on your car if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere, they're not called 'maypops' for nothing. If you don't have cell coverage to call a wrecker, you shouldn't use a temp tire, just sit there on the side of the road until they put up a cell tower near you. Of course if you do have cell coverage, you probably shouldn't call a wrecker anyway, after all, your car could fall off. So just sit on the side of the road and die...

Look, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get to work in the morning. Driving with slime in your airbags is a :q:q:q:qton safer than driving on deflated bags, and a bag with an unsealed leak is more likely to pop than one with sealant in it.

:I

Makes sense to me.

I added the following to my signature and as of today, the contaminated air suspension system still has not failed. What an excellent car!!
Air suspension bags treated with tire sealant on 4/26/2010

I added the following to my signature and as of today, the contaminated air suspension system still has not failed. What an excellent car!!
Air suspension bags treated with tire sealant on 4/26/2010

Awesome! :Beer

Just make sure you do eventually replace the springs. The slime won't last forever. And, like my '97, if your springs are already dryrotting now, they'll just get worse over time. At some point, the slime won't be able to fill all the cracks. If you're on a limited budget like I am, Arnott has the least expensive front air spring/shocks at $186 each with free shipping. I got a set for my '96 last year with my tax return. So far they've held up fine. Good luck.

Awesome! :Beer

Just make sure you do eventually replace the springs. The slime won't last forever. And, like my '97, if your springs are already dryrotting now, they'll just get worse over time. At some point, the slime won't be able to fill all the cracks. If you're on a limited budget like I am, Arnott has the least expensive front air spring/shocks at $186 each with free shipping. I got a set for my '96 last year with my tax return. So far they've held up fine. Good luck.

Fortunately, money is not tight for me despite the terrible economy however; my philosophy has always been to not put much money into vehicles and to drive them until they drop. The car is here to serve me and when it no longer does that, it goes to the crushers.

My plan is to buy a used pair of front air struts for cheap. I’ll keep one strut in the trunk with the tools to change it out in case I’m on the road. I’ll also bring some tire sealant along to treat the used air bladders and/or tires.

And most of all, thanks for the tips. I have already saved nearly $400 had I bought new air struts.

Members online

No members online now.
Back