Anyone see this Mark with THESE doors?!?!

That is pretty cool and I watched it twice. :)

Not sure about the lack of an armrest and the sagging interior material, though.

"Concept car"...ok, ok.
:D

:cool:

The armrest is in the seat. it just folds down. kinda like captain chairs in a van.

That is 100% cool.

I'm sure more thought would've gone into the interior door panel if it were put into production.

But I'm guessing that side impact resistance was precisely why it wasn't put into production.

Glad It'S Only A Consept AND NOTHING MORE

HEY AND THE QTR WINDOW OVER THERE IS SMALLER THEN STOCK..RRK,AND IM KINDA LOST ON WHERE THIS DOOR & GLASS GOES-LITTERALLY UNDER THE CAR...WHAT IF YOU RUN OVER SOMETHING AND U FK UP THE MECHINIUM THAT HOLD THE DOR WHEN OPEN...HMMM...AND IS IT FLEXABLE SO THAT THE GLASS DONT SHATTER AND IS IT PLEXIGLASS OR REG GLASS?..AND WHAT IF YOU PINCH AWIRE,OR A SENSOR GOES ..THEN UR FKD IN A SENCE THEN ONEONE CAN GET OUT UNLESS THRU THE ROOF...LOL LOL PIC AN ARMLESS ONE DOIN THAT-WORMIN IT'S WAY OUT...

Dear LvC Admins, please turn on capslock disable feature for the thick skulled users who don't know their net etiquette. Its been over 15 years since Al Gore invented the internet, when will you learn?

I'm glad you can appreciate "consepts" as much as you do. One must wonder if the first drafts of the infamous Lambo vertical doors were as well received by critics as this door feature is by your well educated post. Or push-button doors on the C7 Corvette? I bet the smartest, most intelligent people in Detroit were screaming "OMG LOL WTF THE BUTTON MIGHT BRAKE THEN UR TRAPPED IN SIDE THE CAR AND THEN LOL YOU DIE WTF UR FKD THEN"

Dear LvC Admins, please turn on capslock disable feature for the thick skulled users who don't know their net etiquette. Its been over 15 years since Al Gore invented the internet, when will you learn?

I'm glad you can appreciate "consepts" as much as you do. One must wonder if the first drafts of the infamous Lambo vertical doors were as well received by critics as this door feature is by your well educated post. Or push-button doors on the C7 Corvette? I bet the smartest, most intelligent people in Detroit were screaming "OMG LOL WTF THE BUTTON MIGHT BRAKE THEN UR TRAPPED IN SIDE THE CAR AND THEN LOL YOU DIE WTF UR FKD THEN"

:gr_hail:

That Mark is bad ass. I sure hope that owner becomes an LVC member. If the Ford Execs were to mass produce this Mark back in the day, the MSRP would've doubled. I am pretty sure the side impact results were not favorable. It is a nice idea, but it takes away from the inner beauty of the interior. You lose the affect of the wrap around feeling. It looks like they shortened it as well. I wonder how many more companies have Marks that Ford gave them to tinker with. First Geno's Mark, now this one.

?

Where are you guys getting the idea that these doors would be less safe in a side collision than regular doors?? Actually, it looks like the exact opposite is true.

Here is what someone posted on the ".org" site:

I pulled the following text from the patent:

When the door is driven into an elevated, closed position, structural keys on the door engage with receptacles in the chassis frame of the vehicle, and the door becomes a fully stressed structural member of the frame, providing a dramatic increase in the bending and torsional stiffness thereof. Preliminary analysis indicates an increase in bending stiffness of about nine times, and an increase in torsional stiffness of about two times compared with a chassis having conventional doors.....Frontal and side impact resistance is also increased because vertically sliding doors provide a continuous structural frame around the passenger compartment, unlike conventional doors which may spring open or buckle inward in an accident.

Where are you guys getting the idea that these doors would be less safe in a side collision than regular doors??[/I]

I can't speak for those that made the statement here, but I am getting the idea that these doors aren't safe from the product development guy that was working for Ford at the time they had this done and said that they would not pass safety standards.

yeah, as if we dont have enough things breaking on our marks now, could you imagine all of those pieces in motion. it would be a maintenance nightmare. not to mention if you were parked over something sharp like a rock, it looks like it would just open up into it.

It looks cool as hell too.

I can see it now - gettng stuck in the first snow storm! Still Pretty cool to watch!

Im surprised that bidding is up to 19000 and reserve is still not met! I dont see the appeal...

I can't speak for those that made the statement here, but I am getting the idea that these doors aren't safe from the product development guy that was working for Ford at the time they had this done and said that they would not pass safety standards.

Ummmmm, these were not made at Ford and no safety tests were done. Your "guy" is blowing smoke.

And who the heck on here keeps outbidding me!!!!! Knock it off! LOL

Ummmmm, these were not made at Ford and no safety tests were done. Your "guy" is blowing smoke.

And who the heck on here keeps outbidding me!!!!! Knock it off! LOL

They were not made by Ford. They were outsourced, like a lot ton of other prototype concepts. There are several safety standards that this particular vehicle would not satisfy for production. This "guy" is legit, thank you very much.

Thats what I said. But you said: "...but I am getting the idea that these doors aren't safe from the product development guy that was working for Ford at the time they had this done and said that they would not pass safety standards."

They don't test or even think of safety standards on concepts.

They don't test or even think of safety standards on concepts.

Correct. As I quoted originally, I was answering this question:
Where are you guys getting the idea that these doors would be less safe in a side collision than regular doors??

To have a concept made, they don't worry about a lot of things. However, at some point there has to be a decision made as to whether or not the concept is produced. When any talk of this particular concept came of it becoming a reality, there were safety standards that could easily be seen as failure points, without need for "testing" of the vehicle.

Did you read this post?

"I pulled the following text from the patent:

When the door is driven into an elevated, closed position, structural keys on the door engage with receptacles in the chassis frame of the vehicle, and the door becomes a fully stressed structural member of the frame, providing a dramatic increase in the bending and torsional stiffness thereof. Preliminary analysis indicates an increase in bending stiffness of about nine times, and an increase in torsional stiffness of about two times compared with a chassis having conventional doors.....Frontal and side impact resistance is also increased because vertically sliding doors provide a continuous structural frame around the passenger compartment, unlike conventional doors which may spring open or buckle inward in an accident."

So it looks like it was indeed addressed, at least according to the patent.

But like most concepts, once the safety factors and marketers touch it - it never looks as good. There are FEW exceptions. Too often I wish a concept would come out as is, at least appearance wise.

Safety aside, maybe packaging was a problem. (look at the trunk space)

The door was neat at first look, the hydraulic oil under the car and lack of trunk space suck. It's neat but not nearly 20,000 + worth!!!

I only needed to see it once Chickie....made me puke....an idea that needed much more thought...much much more thought.

The mlg and condition of the Mark might be worth 10,000.00 (but think about it, you'd need to spend another 2,000.00 on new doors, drivers side isn't working) but, what are they smokin' on ebay!!!!!

MsM8

Dude you've been here long enough to know that is the way GODDESS is when she posts sometimes.

Glad most of you like the concept mark. Just to let everyone know, this incluces you Deb, i was the one on ebay and found it. Thank you for posting it Deb. Its so dang cool, how could you not look at video at least once. Somebody in here needs to buy that thing! Quick!

Members online

No members online now.
Back