Anyone interested in rear Cobra brake relocation brackets?

98lincmk7lsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Like the title says....

Anyone interested? Now that I've found a pretty good waterjetter, and finally have my own TIG welder, I was thinking about maybe making/selling the rear relocation brackets.

Doug sent me his CAD file for the base plate nearly 3 years ago, and I happened to still have it saved in my email. I think I'll forward it to the waterjetter and see what he can give me for a price on the plates.

Of course, these would be made from 304 stainless steel with all stainless steel hardware, so you wouldn't have to worry about them ever rusting out.

I know there are those aluminum ones that someone is selling on the Thunderbird forums, but I'm not sure how I feel about the use of aluminum...

Let me know what you guys think. I think the aluminum ones go for $100. Ideally, I'd like to price these lower than those, but I'll need to work some numbers to see if that's possible.

Anyway, these are the originals:

1239252_10101002612383713_2122725363_o.jpg

These are similar to what I'm proposing to make:

attachment.jpg

1239252_10101002612383713_2122725363_o.jpg

I am very interested. I have had the aluminum ones at the fore front if my mind, just haven't done it yet.

I feel pretty confident that I could offer these somewhere around $80 a set, but I won't know for sure until I talk to the waterjetter.

Since I've got so much stuff going on right now, I wouldn't expect this to happen real soon. Maybe sometime around the beginning of the year. Could possibly be sooner, but I can't say with any kind of certainty. I'm moving to a new house in a little less than a month, and it's already starting to get a little hectic. My wife wants me to start packing up everything in the garage, but I'm still using most of it!! lol.

Right now, I mainly just want to gauge interest in them, but I definitely plan on making at least one set for myself. If the interest is there, I'll pursue production.

Would you be willing to wait that long Dan?

I'm moving to a new house in a little less than a month, and it's already starting to get a little hectic. My wife wants me to start packing up everything in the garage, but I'm still using most of it!! lol.

:eek: LOL been there done that.

I'm sure if you build them they will come.
It would be nice to have these available.

If your guy at the waterjet cant get right on the price you can try the one I use.His rates are really good and he is no more than 2 miles from my shop.I have him cut things for me all the time and most times its same day turn around.He is also into old cars and that helps.

If your guy at the waterjet cant get right on the price you can try the one I use.His rates are really good and he is no more than 2 miles from my shop.I have him cut things for me all the time and most times its same day turn around.He is also into old cars and that helps.

I don't foresee any problems with him. He was really great to work with on the shock mounts, so all should be good. I'll definitely keep you in mind though, just in case. Thanks!

Are you doing the hub centric rings for the disc also? I seem to remember them being different... Could be wrong

Correct. The Mark viii rear center bore is smaller than the mustang rear center bore. You need a ring to center rear cobra brakes on rear Mark hubs. If you used cobra rear hubs, this is obviously not an issue.

Are you doing the hub centric rings for the disc also? I seem to remember them being different... Could be wrong

I don't plan on it, but I suppose anything's possible.

I don't think I'd be very comfortable selling something I wouldn't use on my own car. I'm not saying it's "bad" to go the re-drilled route, but it's just not something I'm gonna do to my car, and as such, wouldn't have a test-bed to try them out on. If I can't test something as integral as that, I'm not going to sell it.

Alright, I'll probably look into having a run of 10 sets made then. Just remember, it'll likely be a couple months. We've got the move into the new house in a few weeks, and then the holidays (tons of family coming--and staying with us...). Once I get settled in, I'll hit this hard.

I got a set from him about 4 months ago. He makes them in batches, so when he has them, he has them! Good quality pieces to be sure. If I end up getting this other Mark VIII I am looking at, I will be in the market for another set myself.

Members online

No members online now.
Back