Any 1st Gen guys out there tried the new LED bulbs??

Stangman

Project car a.d.d.
Reaction score
I know that HID's are a big thing with the 1st gen people. I was searching Ebay for a new HID kit and saw the LED bulbs for sale on there... I'm thinking of getting them for my high beams

Anyone use them yet?

I'm gonna get a set. The funny part is, I dont like the blue-like look of the 6000k HID's so I ordered a 5000K set after my bulb burned out at the track friday night... and these LED bulbs only come in 6000K, LOL

LED and HID are two different things. Being they are LED 6000K, you should not see any blue at all. I can't say that they'll match the brightness of the HID because I have never seen any installed.

When you're dealing with HID's, the higher the number, the more color (kelvin) that comes into play. 4300K, plain white, 6000K, more white than blue, especially from the inside. 10,000K has a blue look from the outside and more of a white bright light with just a hint of blue from the inside. I have the 10,000K in mine and have been inside others with 4300 and 6000 and can see a difference from what I have mainly from the outside. I wouldn't worry about getting the 6000K LED's and having them look blue. They should shine white.

HID kelvin chart below.

colortemp.jpg

What problems can be encountered when switching to ALL led in the Mark? I want to do this after seeing the Guys next doord 66 Chevelle with ALL led's. Looks amazing!!

I remember there being some kind of lamp errors?

I'll just snip the high beam "headlight out" message on the box under the dash...

I think this was discussed once before. I can't see these bulbs having enough light output to be effective as headlights.

any bulb you put in there, regardless of the source of the light itself is going to depend on the reflective surfaces inside the housing.

I could be wrong but I dont think the LED bulb will solve the first gen headlight dilemma.

First main question would the LED headlights be brighter than the original Gen 1 headlights.

Also What about temp? Will the LEDs brun off the refective backing like the Halogens?

I have a fairly new set of Gen 1 housings only 2 years old. I've been thinking of doing an HID conversion as the HIDs I've heard run cooler than the Halogens.

Next if the LED's are somewhere in between the Halogens and HIDs for brightness, the LEDs are cooler than both, and the Price is cheaper than the HIDs, I'd like to try them.

Haven't tried the LED headlights. But I do have LED turn signals. And they work great. The only problem is that they draw so little power that the computer thinks there's a light out and the "check exterior lamps" warning comes on every time I press the brake pedal. I'm going to snip that wire someday because it is sort of annoying.

At this point any eBay LED sets will be too dim for practical use. Search the forums, everyone says the same thing. They are neat, but not bright.

Didn't think they would be. I tried some LED's in my kitchen to replace the halogens in my track lights that keep burning out. And they were way dim and didn't put out very much light. I figure LED headlights will be the same way. LED's just don't produce enough light to be priactical as headlights. Driving lights, turn signals, sure. But not headlights.

I've been thinking of doing an HID conversion as the HIDs I've heard run cooler than the Halogens.

I dont think that is true.
I've had alot of experience with HID lights in non automotive applications.
and the "heat load" on a room is substantial...when using wattages between 400W and 1K.

My hids are cooler than the halogens in the gen 1 housing we compaired sierra3's with my gen 1 which has hid and mine where cooler

The amperage load from LED headlights would be minimal.

I'd love a set if they actually WORK!

My hids are cooler than the halogens in the gen 1 housing we compaired sierra3's with my gen 1 which has hid and mine where cooler

We already know that HID's run cooler than halogens. What we're wondering is if the LED's are bright enough to make for a good headlight.

If they are using the same LED's that the cops have in their top rack lights, they should be bright enough because they have I think what's called GEN 3 LED's and then you have regular LED. I know the light bar they use is not cheap at all because of it's low profile and the LED type that is used. I have looked inside a HPD's light bar before and looking at each of his LED's, it doesn't look like they used the same size on the bulb made for our car.

%21B%2842iO%21Bmk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-DgEjlLlgJ6SBKem4T2qgg%7E%7E_12.jpg

You can see the difference with each LED pod from the pic above and the pic below which claim to be gen 3 but they still don't look as big as the cops low profile light bars. Get close to one and look through the lens and you'll see what I'm talking about. Neither of these lights above or below are true GEN 3's but I'm also not saying that what's being offered on ebay will not work for a headlight. Just a little pricey for a test!

155_6.jpg

I dont think that is true.
I've had alot of experience with HID lights in non automotive applications.
and the "heat load" on a room is substantial...when using wattages between 400W and 1K.

Standard automotive HID bulbs run at 35W.

I dont know about headlights but I swapped all my markers, turning signals, break lamps, etc with leds. It looks great, along with elimintating a lot of heat and power consumption. It does trip the lamp out module and im not sure if my check exterior lamps message is from my LEDs or my HID Highbeams because i dont know which wire controls the hi beams.

LEDs put out a lot of lumens and with a good quality bulb can put out as much or even more light than HIDS.

Just re-finish the inside of the lens and use a 55w hid kit in the highbeam socket. Problem solved. For me at least.

No seller yet has shown a pic of the beam that comes from these. Apparently there is a reason

I agree.

I think the only way to really achieve the light one would want is to modify our housing with a few 5W led and reflectors. I have a Gen 1 so i think 10 per side in the high beams should work. Heat from these are going to be the main issue. :rolleyes:

I agree.

I think the only way to really achieve the light one would want is to modify our housing with a few 5W led and reflectors. I have a Gen 1 so i think 10 per side in the high beams should work. Heat from these are going to be the main issue. :rolleyes:

LED's = less heat than HID and especially halogen but IMO, HID is the way to go. Not enough lumens in an 18 diode light fixture and even in the 68 diode fixture, they're smaller diodes that probably equal to what the 18's are putting out. They might look good and clean but I would have to see a true beam from them before I bought!

LED's = less heat than HID and especially halogen but IMO, HID is the way to go. Not enough lumens in an 18 diode light fixture and even in the 68 diode fixture, they're smaller diodes that probably equal to what the 18's are putting out. They might look good and clean but I would have to see a true beam from them before I bought!

Here is some images of cyclist are using lights on there bikes and helmets for night riding. As for the heat, looks to be a trial by error DIY ;)

IMG_2001.png

4_TripleCreeXR_E.png

The one problem area I see is what will happen with the light once it is projected through the stock housing lens.

Members online

Back