Annoyed with Duplicolor

Aquabrit

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just tried repainting a coil pack bracket and my damn Duplicolor spray paint started spitting and ruined the finish! :mad:

New can, followed all directions, spraying going well, then: spit, spit, spit.

Had this exact same problem when I repainted my grille, some time ago. (using Duplicolor chrome effect paint that turned out looking nothing like chrome)

Now, I'll sand down and start over with my Krylon Rust Tough enamel. (it's not rated for high heat, but oh well, will see how it goes - at least it sprays true!)

Anyone else had troubles with spray cans? Any tips?

DSC03439.gif

Maybe try a light coat, invert the can and spy until no paint comes out to clean the nozzle, another light coat, repeat until satisfied. Keep the nozzle as clean as possible.

Also, try and keep the can as vertical as possible while spraying.

Yeah, I'll try all that stuff in a few mins, with the other paint. Thanks! BTW, the grey primer went on just fine - it's that black that just wouldn't spray nice. I've only had this problem with Duplicolor - I just test sprayed the Krylon and it's fine.

I'm thinking either a badly manufactured nozzle and / or not enough propellent in the can from the factory.

I have never had much luck with spray bombs.... but I find that shaking them for twice as long as your arm can take helps...

True that! (to both of the above) Once I'm done spraying with the Krylon, I'll tip it upside down and spray to clear, then clean the nozzle.

One day, I'll get a real paint spraying system - cans seem to be abit 'hit and miss'

Yeah, I'll look into all that stuff more when $$ permits. For now, I just want to spray all my random 'bits 'n' pieces' (including those from Jamie) semi-gloss black. Was gonna use high heat on the engine bay stuff and the Krylon anti-rust (in combo with etching primer) on the other parts.

Well, that's all I was doing it for - rust protection.

I just re-sprayed with the Krylon and no problems. I still couldn't get the black Duplicolor to stop spitting, so I threw it in the trash.

Only thing with that Krylon anti rust, is, it's a slightly textured paint. No big deal. I'm not after a show car finish, just a 'no frills' black protection that looks ok.

on top of the above tips, throw the can in pretty warm /not quite hot water for 2 minutes+.. helps the paint thin, plus creates a little more pressure.

Yeah, I'll do that when I do the other pieces. Today, I just had the cans out in the sun. (was a nice day)

That Duplicolor black was definitely faulty. Never had a can that spat that bad from first use before.

I've had a couple cans do that to me. I have probably gone through more spray paint than the average person, and only had a couple cans that didnt work right. I took them back to AZ and got my money back.

Haha! I'm glad you replied, Chadly. (seeing as you've done alot of painting with cans)

Glad I'm not the only one - I was starting to wonder if it was just me! Lol.

Any good tips you can share? Good spray paint brands? Any good techniques for a nice finish with enamel? (being that you supposedly can't sand enamel paints)

Krylon gloss black with a picture of a bench on it is good...it got a good big white nozzle which creates more mist and the paint is real durable compare to duplicolor

Cool, I'll give that a try next time. I've seen that at Walmart.

The Krylon Rust Tough sprayed nice - it left a textured 'hammered' finish though - that's fine for parts that are not on show, but not ideal.

See: (crackled finish)

copside.jpg

Cool, I'll pick some up next time I'm at Walmart. Hopefully, they'll have a semi-gloss version. (anything too shiny will stand out like a sore thumb in my engine bay)

You can buy a bag of spare/replacement tips for around a dollar at most hardware stores. Nice to have around. When you rattle can small pieces its good to have a clean thinner/solvent rag laying nearby. If you get a spitter, you can just wipe it off quickly and respray it instead of waiting for it to dry and then sanding it out.

martin if you want a cool look around the engine bay use rustoleum mini textured paint in semi gloss black from home depot. it is a dead nuts match to minitex black powdercoat. we use tons of it at work for our railing and gate touch ups on top of the powdercoat. awesome product.

Hmm... ok? Is that a spray? What kind of finish does it leave? Ideally, I wanted smooth, semi gloss black for an OEM look.

I just looked on the Rustoleum site - wow, they have loads of different automotive spray paints now!

I see they do a high heat too!

Ideally, I wanted to use the same, semi gloss paint for everything. Their high heat may be just the ticket!

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=371

^ Might fill all my needs, cos I just realized - the coil bracket, the oil pan and one of those cross braces are in high heat situations. Winner! Just gotta see where I can get it, as the DIY stores don't tend to have much of an auto paint selection.

Members online

No members online now.
Back