airbag light? is it the clockspring???

kbasham

LVC Member
Reaction score
My airbag light has been on for awhile and after reading all the post on here, has me wondering if it is the clockspring. All of my controls still work on the steering wheel, and from what I have read, everyone who has had a bad clockspring, the controls have went out. All of my controls work fine, just the light is on. I have also read about the connection under the seat. Can someone guide me on what connection it is and which seat it is under. I am getting ready to sell my LS so I need to get this fixed quick.

thanks

UPDATE: I just went out and started playing with the yellow connector under the seat. I started my car and the airbag light still came on and then I stuck my hand down underneath my seat to wiggle the yellow connection again and I got shocked, so hopefully this tells me that there is a short in the wires somewhere. What do you guys think??

i think you should disconnect the negative cable from your battery before you do any more tinkering

Great question. I wish I could answer that one. I have had the same symptoms as you for about 2 months now, with the 3-2 airbag light flash, and the steering wheel controls all work perfectly. I did a search on here and found several references to the yellow connector under the drivers seat. I have checked the yellow connector, disconnected and reconnected it several times, and no wires appear to be loose. I would also like to know if it is a problem with the clockspring. I hate to change out the clockspring and that not fix the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (2001 v6 sport)

Empire,
I did not ask your opinion on whether or not to disconnect my battery cable, so keep your opinions to yourself. If you can't contribute to what a member ask without being a smart***, then just simply DO NOT REPLY!!!!

dude, I wasnt being a smart***. Reread my response and don't take offense to someone trying to help you not get SHOCKED again. Sheesh, who crapped in your cheerios. Having a bad day ? Sorry helping you was so offensive.

Clockspring is your answer my friend. I changed mine last week. This was second time in over 4 years and over 110000 miles that I have this car. I bought it from the dealer for $112 and changed it myself in about half an hour. Light is gone.

I would try the connector myself first. There's no reason you should get shocked when touching any connector in any car unless something is exposed.

Does anyone have a write up on the clockspring swap. This is so common I would thinksomeone has a write up on it.

Can anyone tell me what the dealership would charge in labor, or the flat rate, to replace the clockspring? I don't feel that comfortable with the airbag.

Here is the detail on it - > http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=300234&postcount=12

the code does not pin-point a component - but tells you that a circuit is either failed open or shorted. This that post I explain why a 3-6 is usually a clockspring and a 3-2 is usually a under-seat connector - but either of them can be a short or open.

The dealership does use a rate book on it - not sure how many hours the 'book' has for it.

I'd fix that connector first since there's obviously a short... see what that does for you

What is this 3-2 3-6 stuff everyone is talking about?!?! Do tell

If you have an airbag light come one upon start-up, the light will flash, giving you a code. It will 'generally' flash 3 times.....pause.....then 2 times. That would indicate a 3-2 code. If it flashes 3 times......pause......then 6 times, that would be a 3-6 code.

Mark

Here is the detail on it - > http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=300234&postcount=12

the code does not pin-point a component - but tells you that a circuit is either failed open or shorted. This that post I explain why a 3-6 is usually a clockspring and a 3-2 is usually a under-seat connector - but either of them can be a short or open.

The dealership does use a rate book on it - not sure how many hours the 'book' has for it.
it's only an hour, but they'll also charge you a fee to hook it up to their computer to run the airbag diagnostic after installing the part, so you're paying for three things (part, labor, diag). cost me around $225 in total for everything.

hi all,
i have a 2000 lincoln v8 sport ls and it has the airbag light on=
it flashes 3 times then 2 times
it does this twice then it stays on.
is this the clockspring?
also my horn works when ever it feels like it.
someone help please!

hi all,
i have a 2000 lincoln v8 sport ls and it has the airbag light on=
it flashes 3 times then 2 times
it does this twice then it stays on.
is this the clockspring?
also my horn works when ever it feels like it.
someone help please!

You must not be following this thread.

it's only an hour, but they'll also charge you a fee to hook it up to their computer to run the airbag diagnostic after installing the part, so you're paying for three things (part, labor, diag). cost me around $225 in total for everything.

Thanks I got in a minor fender bender and the other persons ins is fixing it so in the estimate they wrote down airbag light on....free fix for me even though it's been on a few months

so im guessing its the clockspring since my horn does not work and my steringwheel volume control changes my radio stations.
3-2

I have a simliar problem, but not even close to being the same. My lights comes and goes as it pleases.... indicating ground

my cruise control SOMTIMES works wierd the incr will be resume, decr is incr and cancel is decr. Wierd huh! Anyway. I plan on checking out the harness under the seat to see what is up. Anyone else seen this problem?

If your steering wheel controls are acting funny it will most likely be the clock spring. Thats what mine was doing for a little bit, and then eventually it stopped working all together.

Members online

No members online now.
Back