Aftermarket HID kit problems

Go Fast Get Tickets

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Not my car, belongs to an older guy I meet. 97 LSC, not sure who's kit he bought, but it was one of the $400 screwed you kits. He got 2 35w ballasts and 2 9006 bulbs. Not sure the k value on the bulbs. He installed himself, looks like he did it right, but I didn't chase all the wires.

Problem is this - start car, sits at idle, turn headlights on and they flicker a few seconds and light up. At idle all is fine. Give the car a fast idle and one side will go out and not come back on. Shut the car off, restart, turn on the lights, they flicker and fire off, give it fast idle and the opposite side goes out. Will not come back on after return to normal idle.

I think he needs 55w ballasts. What do you guys think?

He ordered a relayed harness off eBay for $12 but hasn't got it yet, and no telling what he will get for $12.

sounds like its hooked up wrong or he got :q:q:q:q hid's. mine is a basic 80 dollar 55 watt 9006 set up and the ballasts are fed right off the stock wiring that fed the factory ballasts, no relayed kit, never once got a check exterior lamp message either, never had a flicker yet and have been in a few months.

I got the $40 kit on ebay and it works great with my adapter plate..theres only 2 wires on each side that you need to tap into. 4 total. everything else is plug n play...I'd have to say its a mistake in the wireing somewhere..

maybe not enough voltage,loose wires..

sounds like its hooked up wrong or he got :q:q:q:q hid's. mine is a basic 80 dollar 55 watt 9006 set up and the ballasts are fed right off the stock wiring that fed the factory ballasts, no relayed kit, never once got a check exterior lamp message either, never had a flicker yet and have been in a few months.

What i've noticed about alot of the hid kits is that they almost all look identical with the exeption of a different sticker on the ballast. Same ballast size, wireing and bulbs, ect...

I'd run a relay kit, make real sure the ground doesn't suck, run 14 gauge or better, and if all else fails add a bonus ground from the chassis of the ballast to the car just for teh lulz.

agreed sounds like a crap hid kit, mine was $35, 35 watt slim ballast wired up like everyone else's just to the factory wires, only time i have a problem is if i turn the lights on while the compressors are lifting the car (from drop it spikes around 80-90 amps to fire the comps up) and all that happens is sometimes one might not light and then all i have to do is shut the lights off wait for the comps to stop and turn them back on

Why do you think he needs 55watt ballasts?

The ballasts only fire the lights, they don't do much to keep them running.

Thanks for the info Frogman.

Ya, check charging voltage on that turd.

Lincoln dealer said alt was throwing 14.3 volts, otherwise they would have repalced it :p

If you need or want help with it let me know

I'll do that. Relay harness should be here this week. I'm going to GreaseRama this weekend with the 57. Probably be weekend after this.
Thanks Mike.

Members online

Back