Advise needed quick, Possible new owner

mrm143

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am brand new to the forums, and had a quick question...
Here is the add I am looking at

93 lincolnmark 8,,,,,4.6 motor runs and looks great,,,new wires,plugs,,oil and filter change,,antifreeze and thermostat changed,,new rear shocks and shock brackets,,does not have the air ride,,it does need the tranny fluid and filter changed,,,common with these cars,,when you start off you get a shutter they call it,, then its fine,,was sitting the past two months ,in the garage,,,,thats all this car needs,,,It is inspected till 2012 ,,,, ,,,email or call,,xxxxxxxxxx,I do check my emails,,the add explains everything,,next step if you have the money,,come check it out,,buy it and drive it home,,enough phone calls asking about it...Im not looking for pen pals,,, the add tells all there is to know,,,as you can see by the snow those are recent pictures

NOW, this will be my 1st lincoln... The tranny issue scares me, and wondering if this IS a known issue

The car is MINT, new shocks, new fluids, plugs, etc
Car has 181k on it

I talked the seller down to 950.00

What do i do, or look for if I go see it... Please help as I want to buy this car tonight....

Here are the pics
Does it have a sunroof lol??

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/2232451889.html

Go get it for 950 why not, the tranny issue is common, I have it, just do the j mod it's like 6 dollars in parts and an hours labour it'll most likely fix it.

Go get it for 950 why not, the tranny issue is common, I have it, just do the j mod it's like 6 dollars in parts and an hours labour it'll most likely fix it.

So figure tranny if i do it will cost me 100 for fluids and filter
Jmod, i havent read yet

Can i drive it for a week or so without hurting anything untill it warms up a bit, and i can do fluid?

He just dropped the price to 900 if i go to his house, and he doesnt have to meet me halfway

Still VERY nervous about tranny issue...

Ok, maybe it is news to me but the transmission problem is NOT common and $900 still seems high to me for Gen I.

It might "fix" the transmission problem if you change the trans. fluid with Mercon V. These cars can act funny if it does not have the right trans. fluid. When you go to the car, smell the trans fluid. If it smells sweet, it does not need to be replace. If it smells burned, it might fix the trans. problem with new fluid. Again it is a gamble. Lower the price a bit to to compensate for new trans. fluid change you will want to get. (that is if you decide to buy the car)

EDIT: Also look for
If the A/C is working and able to change from cold to hot air. If not, it needs a blend door.

Ok, maybe it is news to me but the transmission problem is NOT common and $900 still seems high to me for Gen I.

The Mercon V change for converter shudder is well known and documented, as well as changing the 1-2 accumulator springs and piston if it has not already been done. Both might be a problem, but neither is a big deal.
Check the car for rust. If it has significant rust then $900 is too high.

It might "fix" the transmission problem if you change the trans. fluid with Mercon V. These cars can act funny if it does not have the right trans. fluid. When you go to the car, smell the trans fluid. If it smells sweet, it does not need to be replace. If it smells burned, it might fix the trans. problem with new fluid. Again it is a gamble. Lower the price a bit to to compensate for new trans. fluid change you will want to get. (that is if you decide to buy the car)

EDIT: Also look for
If the A/C is working and able to change from cold to hot air. If not, it needs a blend door.

Yup, read up on the blend door, so will check that
If the fluid DOESNT smell burnt, does that mean stay away its something else?

Air ride is gone, so dont need to bother with that...
Check all the electrics, check the computer that tells you all the information i'm assuming
What else should i be looking for?

As far as driving it, he says once it warms up, the shudder goes away, is it safe to drive for a few weeks till the weather warms up to change it?

if the car will last me another 100k, i would be ecstatic, i mean honestly, it is still a great car i think

The Mercon V change for converter shudder is well known and documented, as well as changing the 1-2 accumulator springs and piston if it has not already been done. Both might be a problem, but neither is a big deal.
Check the car for rust. If it has significant rust then $900 is too high.

Ok I take that back, it is common but I don't think Jmod has anything to do with it.

I was reading up on the JMOD, does that involve the drilling, or is that something else?
From what i saw its just changing a spring, and getting a different tranny pan? Or is the new pan even needed... I looked in the tech part of the forum for the writeup

I was reading up on the JMOD, does that involve the drilling, or is that something else?
From what i saw its just changing a spring, and getting a different tranny pan? Or is the new pan even needed... I looked in the tech part of the forum for the writeup

jmod is drilling holes in the valve body to improve shifting.

the spring is the 1-2 shift accumulator upgrade. it is a new spring and piston thing.

no new pan needed for either.

Good news, It just so happens that the car is 5 minutes from a friend of mine who builds cars, SO the owner is going to let me run it to his house so he can give me the green light on it...

:D

I'd drop the price to $800, it will be a win/win situation!!! If you end up with a bad tranny 5 months from now you still got the car for a great price! It looks clean, needs center caps & that's it. How's the body? Any rust?

No rust at all. It feels weird though spending less than 1k on a Lincoln. I mean it is a great car right

Back...
Car is junk
Body is mint
Interior is shot
AC/Heat doesnt work right
ABS light on
Trac control wont turn on
Computer says doors closed when their open

YUK LOL

For 900 bucks, what do you expect? If you are buying an older car be prepared to work on it especially for that price.

if someone lists a car for sale and says they will take 900 cash, but in the add it says the car is mint, i wouldnt even go look at it. this whole thing had a red light from the begining!

Back...
Car is junk
Body is mint
Interior is shot
AC/Heat doesnt work right
ABS light on
Trac control wont turn on
Computer says doors closed when their open

YUK LOL

Several of those are easy problems. For instance, the door ajar message is often solved with just some WD-40. ABS/traction control is usually a sensor. That leaves AC/heat (could be simple), bad interior and sticky (cleaning!). Gen I's are so cheap that finding a complete interior that is good should not be hard or expensive. If it ran good I would pull out $500 and if he took it fix the problems with the other $400.

I agree, the reason i went to see it was from they guys description both in the add, and on the phone... Totally different then what it was when i got their

I dont like electrical issues, and thats what it all seemed like
Under the climate control, their was the button for trac, to the right of that, their was a user installed toggle switch, and this switch had to be turned on for the climate control to turn on, WHY???
To many questions, and the guy didnt know any of the answers

I dont even think the computer was hooked up, it said all was ok, doors were open trunk was open, computer said they were closed... Oil life was at 26% EVEN after he said he had a change done (he may just not have reset it)
Why would the trac control not turn on??

Seats had covers on em, were all cracked...
Maybe I'll just go back and offer 400, I am a BIG ebayer, and can get parts, but all these other electrical things make me nervous... I want the computer TO work, to tell me if somethings wrong, who knows if it was disconnected or not....

It also ran like crap, sounded like it wanted to stall, and it took at least 25 mins for the engine temp needle to even move up a little, he said that was normal on these cars...

400 maybe, but thats why i'm here asking

Im also starting to look at the eldorado's to (sp) same body style, and sporty...

Goin to look at another one in a bit
93 black/black
Aftermarket exhaust/rims

Better than the 1st one, but had an aftermarket exhaust WAY too loud for me would get pulled over every 5 mins

It did have a weird cobra/lincoln badge on it, and was FAST , but not for me

Better than the 1st one, but had an aftermarket exhaust WAY too loud for me would get pulled over every 5 mins

It did have a weird cobra/lincoln badge on it, and was FAST , but not for me

was it this badge?
emblem-small.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back