Advancetrac, ABS and E-Brake light on

there is one in each of the four wheels - really hard to tell which one is faulty unless you have other symptoms - like speedo jumping - which tells you it's one of the rears, ... the dealer's diag system can actually pinpoint the failed unit.

it is very common for this issue to go away for a while, then start coming back more and more often....

there is one in each of the four wheels - really hard to tell which one is faulty unless you have other symptoms - like speedo jumping - which tells you it's one of the rears, ... the dealer's diag system can actually pinpoint the failed unit.

it is very common for this issue to go away for a while, then start coming back more and more often....

Well isn't that just outf'ingstanding!!! :mad: I guess for free, I'll just check to see that all four sensors are tight, and moisture free.

Mark

Okay, so I assume you check fluid level for the brakes? Mine lost it's friggin mind when I was a little low... it kept adding new lights and warnings as I drove home, about 1 every mile or so. I seriously thought the car was going to self destruct if one more message or light came on.

Added brake fluid to it, and all the lights went away. It's happy now... except for the lack of AC...

Well, mine had moisture in it and Ford recommends replacing the hub assembly if you find moisture....it was off for a few days now it comes on a few seconds after driving. I decided to not care and maybe when I feel like wasting more money buy the hub assembly and replace it.

LMAO! I probably shouldn't laugh, because I can see this same thing happening to me on my way from work to school, or from school to home. I've already got the airbag light on, and now the advancetrac light. One more and I'll probably drain the battery from so much power being generated to light my dash. :bash:

Mark

I've been dealing with the exact same symptoms as the original poster for a couple months. ABS and ATS lights come on whenever I drive the car and occasionally the BRAKE light comes on. The other day I accidentally discharged my battery, so I disconnected it and recharged it using a battery tender. When I reconnected the battery both lights were out and have not come on for two days.
I hope this helps someone.

all that did was clear the error code.

the wheel sensor issue starts as an intermittant issue - and then gets worse.

Well, no more Check Advancetrac message, and no traction control icon. Drove the car a few times lastnight, and then into work this morning. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back up.

Mark

My 00 LS Sport is doing the same thing, it started with the ABS and Check Traction Control coming on in the comm. center. One time the brake light came on, but that has only happened once.

Is there any good way to troubleshoot it? I really want to avoid the stealer if I can and go at it myself. With all 4 wheels having these sensors, how do you know which it is? Is there a resistance value or anything that I can check?

Bozz

Hello all,
My '01 LS V8 started this symtom a few days ago. After a stop light and upon slow accelerating, when I applied the brake lightly there was a slight ABS shutter of the brake pedal. This happened 3 times in about 5 minutes. After each incident the ABS and AdvanceTrac light would illuminate. When I got home about 15 minutes later I shut the car off. Upon restart the lights were out, but came back as soon as the car was moved 30 feet with the same ABS shutter. Now the ABS light is constant. When the ABS light is constant, the system does not actuate. The AdvanceTrac light turns on after moving the car 20 feet.
Stopped by the dealer and he wanted $95 to hook up the scanner.
I did some checking and found that there is only 1 ABS scanner that is reasonably priced compared to a full blown scanner like Genisys, Snap-On etc. It's made by Actron and is called Brakescan. I bought it and got it yesterday. My problem turned out to be a bad LF wheel sensor.
Sorry this is long winded, but it might help some of you out there.

Actron Brakescan

Want to rent that Actron Brakescan unit out? Seems like there are a bunch of people on here who need it!

I'll look and see how much I can find one for, what did you pay for yours?

Thanks,
Bozz

I think I only paid $38 for each rear and $55 for each front - so for under $200 did a complete swap of all four sensors.

so if you are trying to save $$ - you could by one front and one rear - and then swap them around until fixed...

not that throwing parts at it is a smart way of doing things - but only $90.

I think I only paid $38 for each rear and $55 for each front - so for under $200 did a complete swap of all four sensors.

so if you are trying to save $$ - you could by one front and one rear - and then swap them around until fixed...

not that throwing parts at it is a smart way of doing things - but only $90.

Not a bad idea, the Actron Brake Scanner looks to be $159 MINIMUM from what I found online. I checked Advanced Auto to see if they had one to throw on there and they didn't. They had another model that would do ABS and it was $177 to buy.

Bozz

The Actron ABS scanner that I found on that famous auction sight was $145.00. Amazon had the same scanner for $165.00 shipped. If anyone lives in the NJ area, you're welcome to come over.

Sorry to revive such an old thread. My advancetrac light comes on occasionally. When it does and I break the car seems to pull slightly to the right. Would I be correct in assuming this would be caused by a right front sensor?

That is unlikely, unless you are also getting an ABS warning light. Any wheel sensor problems should turn on both the ABS and Advance-Trac lights. You need an advanced scan tool like the Auto-Tap to read the code and find out what the problem is. It could be the steering angle sensor or one of the MEMS sensors (they sense the direction of travel and rate of change.) It could also be something else.

To back up a minute... You do mean that the light comes on steady, and stays on until you turn the key off? You should also get a "Check Advance-Trac" message on the display. If the light is just flashing, then it is functioning correctly and just letting you know that you caused it to be activated.

Sorry, to clarify:

The check advancetrac message is displayed periodically in conjunction with the advancetrac light (car with squiggly lines). If I turn off the car they go away. When I am driving and the check advancetrac message hasn't come up yet the advancetrac works properly. The car doesn't always pull to the right when breaking, just sometimes. No other warning messages or lights.

I've only had "check advance-trac" come up once (on my 04). It went away and didn't come back (for a year so far), but I pulled the code anyway. It was for the steering angle sensor. Of course, your experience is likely to be completely different.
If you don't have access to a code scanner, then it would probably be worth it to have a dealer pull the code for you (around $100 I assume), rather than randomly replacing parts. Or, you can wait till it fails altogether. At least that way it will be easier to know if you have replaced the right part and really fixed it.

My problem went away after doing my front brakes (noticed they had a few small stress fractures, figured it would be good to replace). I'm not sure if we managed to tighten something in the process or move something just right but since I redid my front brakes I have not had this problem.

Is it possible the LS is sensing hazardous parts and warns you in such a manner?

I had to replace my rear passenger side hub assembly and my ABS & AdvanceTrac lights are both on. So I replaced the hub but the lights are still on. Does any1 know where the sensor is on the rear of the '00 LS?

Okay this is an old thread. But the OP's description (minus the brake light) just happened to me this morning. I was coasting around ten mph coming into my parking spot when both 'Check AdvanceTrac' and the 'ABS' lights came on. No change in driving, just the lights and warning sound on startup.

Now it looks like it's a safe bet to check all the wheel sensors first. I am wondering if I need to remove the wheels to do this or what? I went out and looked and I am blind or something cuz i cannot find something that looks like a wheel sensor.

Also to add, it rained really hard this morning so maybe some water has splashed something into the sensor? Maybe a mute point.

Anyways sorry for the digup, but this is exactly my problem. I just need to know how to find the sensors.

bump... no1 wants to help me :[

I am thinking of buying an AutoTap kit. Its only around $200 bucks - It may be worth it to have it to pull all the parts for future problems? Or is this a bad investment since I will probably have to buy parts to fix the Original problem?

You are going to have a very hard time seeing the wheel speed sensor with the wheels on. It is on the top back side of the hub. On the previous page there was a diagram that had it circled. Once you get the wheel off and stick your head into the wheel well it is fairly obvious what the sensor is.

And just to be a dick, I believe you meant moot point, not mute point.

Members online

No members online now.
Back