Advancetrac, ABS and E-Brake light on

Kulow

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Yesterday as I turned from one road on to another the Check Advancetrac message displayed on my message center and the ABS and Advancetrac lights came on. I was about to pull in to my apartment complex so it wasn't a big deal, parked my car and went up stairs and did a search on here for this problem...saw that it should throw a code so I went back down to my car and plugged my pocket scanner in and it reported 0 codes. I did see something that it needs to be Ford specific? If so who will pull those kind of codes for free?

Now, this morning Im driving to work and when I start the car the ABS light stays on. After a couple of miles the advancetrac light comes back on and says check advancetrac. As I get farther on down the road I glance down to see that the e-brake indicator light has turned on along with the ABS and advancetrac lights that are already on, any ideas? When I turn the car off and back on all of the lights turn off then will come back, normally starting with the ABS light.

Also Quik, if you read this I work off of 2222 and 620 somewhat close to your neighborhood so maybe I could bother you to pull my codes if you happened to be available, I know you're quite the busy guy. :D

Sounds like the ABS control module. At least that was what was the problem with my wife's 06.

Did you take it to the dealer under warranty, or did you do it yourself? If you did it yourself how much is that part?

Did you take it to the dealer under warranty, or did you do it yourself? If you did it yourself how much is that part?

It ain't cheap I can tell you that much.
If you still have remaining warranty coverage on the car take it in. I'm pretty sure you have to visit the dealer to program the control module anyway.

But before you do that make sure the brake fluid level is fine. And make sure none of the lines, hoses, or calipers are leaking.

It's an 02 V8, mileage wise I would be covered but its a bit too old for factory warranty. Just kind of odd that I got my car back from the dealer on Tuesday for an unrelated issue and on Thursday is started doing this...probably a coincidence but I hate this kind.

I'll definitely check the fluid and all that other stuff when i get off of work, could a dirty ABS sensor on one of the wheels cause all of this? The reason I ask is that when I made the turn from one road to another, the car in front of me hit a big patch of dirt and it seemed to turn on after I went through the dirt cloud that was kicked up from the car I was following.

Thanks LS4me for the part list, I get dealer prices with the local motorcraft distributor so I'll check to see if they are better.

And by e-brake I mean emergency brake or parking brake, whatever people call it now days.

Except, that's not the e-brake light. It's only the e-brake light when you have the parking brake on. If you don't have the parking brake on, then it is the low-brake-fluid light.

Checked the brake fluid and the level is ok, but I have a new symptom.

ABS light on, advancetrac light on and "Check Advancetrac" message displayed, when I left my apartment to have dinner I was driving and I started to apply the brakes to slow down for a speed bump, when I did i heard what sounded like a rattling sound coming from the front passenger side wheel area and the brake pedal was catching when I was pressing it. It wasn't pulsing like ABS would but more like a cog missing teeth feel, smooth then catch, smooth then catch. I of course turned around and parked my car and after I turned the car around it stopped.

I'll pull the wheel in the morning, I appreciate everyone's help, this car can be quite annoying when it wants to be and quite a sweet ride when its being nice.

Is this the wheel speed sensor by chance? It's the only thing that looks like it could be it.

Suspension2000LS.JPG

I've had the check advancetrac light come on with me a few times. It usually just goes off when I turn the car off.

my LS is a Gen1 - so no e-brake (thankfully) but the same symptoms when I lost a wheel sensor -
- occasionally the brakes would shutter - like ABS was on
- occasionally the speedo would pause and jump

then it went from occasionally to more often - then the ABS and TC light lit up - no CEL codes.

I am in the garage almost every weekend and most nights..... if I can help let me know. Swaping the senors are a 10min job.

Is it possible to pull the fuse for the ABS system to where it just doesnt engage? I tried this but the message center says Fuel Communication Error.

sound like you pulled the REM fuse - not the ABS one...

but in either case - that will not make the ABS light turn off.

Oh I just want the ABS to not engage. I tried two different fuses and the Fuel error confused me, I pulled originally number 3 in the passenger side kick panel box and when it said the fuel error I replaced it and pulled fuse 14 under the hood, with the same outcome. No one in town has the wheel speed sensor, the only company that seems to have it is Arnold Oil who 1) are closed on saturdays and 2) it's in their san antonio warehouse.

Quik, do you happen to know if the front passenger side wheel sensor is the bolt or snap on variety?

They always ask if it's a clip-on or bolt-on - I don't know if there were two manufacturers or certain build dates received different ones... so you have to look - it's quick and easy - the bolt-on has a single bolt holding the sensor into the spindle housing.

So we got it to quit acting up, the things we noticed were two wheel speed sensors were not on all the way and one had a little moisture in the hub. Blew the moisture out and secured the wheel speed sensors and all is well in the life of Kulow's LS.

On my way into work this morning, I had the "check advancetrac" message come up, with the advancetrac/traction control looking light come on at the top-center of the instrument cluster. Got to work and shut the car off and came inside.(I didn't want to start the car back up and see that it didn't go away, as it'd probably just ruin my day :D )
Was the wheel sensor what cured the advancetrac symptom as well? Or is there a good chance that we have completely different issues, since you had three different lights come on, and I only have the one? There were no driveability issues, and the advancetrac shifted up through 5th gear just fine. Any ideas?

Mark

for me - it was. the traction control feature use the wheel sensor to determine differences in rotation speeds between the wheels.

I'll make sure the light comes on tonight, after work. If it does, then I should make sure the sensor is in place on the rear wheels, as pictured in the Ford parts picture above? I'm assuming I should just do the same as you guys did, and make sure everything is tight, and doesn't have any moisture buildup...

Mark

Members online

No members online now.
Back