ACCEL Ignition COP install

Did the Accel coils come with boots?

Yes! They come with a boot for the 2V Mustang which has a bend in it. I didnt check to see if they would work because I had 8 new boots sitting around for the LS anyway. Here is a pic of what you get.

110140032.jpg

I can't believe that someone has not made the coils for the LS/Thunderbird V8 engine. What ever happened to GMS? Weren't they promising coils last year?:mad:

Ive contacted manufacturers about other performance mods for this car and they wont make a batch unless they have a minumum order of 200 or more. I have a comapny that will make 4.10 gears specific to the LS diff but there is ZERO commitment from buyers.

Same reason Magnaflow wont produce the 03+ cat back, they didnt have a huge influx of 00-02 cat-back sales.

If this 3.9L was in more than 2 cars they would do something, but we are SOL.

I wonder about over in Europe. Maybe someone over there is making them for the Jag. There has got to be a coil that fits, that comes from some engine we are not aware of, or a way to modify the coil covers to fit the ones we do know about. I have not got into my engine yet, so exactly how much do the HP COPs stick up more than stock? Would it be possible to mold some kind of shoulder that would fit around the stock opening and space the cover up enough to clear the HP COPs?

I live more than 85 miles from the closest speed shop. I guess I will have to wait until someone near a speed shop can compare sizes and the specs to see if it would work with our computers.

I took the laptop outside and looked at the picture and the way you mounted the coil to the V8 and it seems that the Accel coil has the mount about right for the V6. I don't know about the boot, but I will have to find a used V6 coil and go to a speed shop and compare them. The connecter looks about the same also. If anyone has used V6 coil let me know?

any chance i could get a few more details/better shots of how you're holding down the coils?

any chance i could get a few more details/better shots of how you're holding down the coils?

coils are held down with clips similar to these, they can be found at any hardware store:
they are called either nut clips, u-clips, or c-clips. There are a few names for them

A1758-10Z1D.jpg

For those who asked about the Mustang boot on these coils fitting into the LS motor, the answer is it will.

I put them in yesterday and they work just fine, actually I recommend them because the wider part at the top of the boot completely seals the spark plug well and will not let any rain or dirt down into the well.

The Mustang boots make a "V" type shape. You will need to put the boot in with the low part of the V toward the bottom of the well and then shove the rest of the boot into the well to make it have a tight seal.

sweet. between these, plugs, and the intake i'm not going to have a dime left from my stimulus check.. :)

For those who asked about the Mustang boot on these coils fitting into the LS motor, the answer is it will.

I put them in yesterday and they work just fine, actually I recommend them because the wider part at the top of the boot completely seals the spark plug well and will not let any rain or dirt down into the well.

The Mustang boots make a "V" type shape. You will need to put the boot in with the low part of the V toward the bottom of the well and then shove the rest of the boot into the well to make it have a tight seal.
Another good piece of information. If only we could find a coil that would fit under the coil cover or find a readily available spacer that would space the cover up enough to use the Mustang coils. In a previous post someone was speculating on the coil for the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln, 4.6/5.4L. Has anyone tried it yet?

Another good piece of information. If only we could find a coil that would fit under the coil cover or find a readily available spacer that would space the cover up enough to use the Mustang coils. In a previous post someone was speculating on the coil for the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln, 4.6/5.4L. Has anyone tried it yet?
Bump, after a few months to see if anyone has solved the coil cover problem yet?

I believe the covers are the work of a design engineer showing how important his job is. If you look at pictures of 'hemi-style' engines, they have open spark plug holes in the valve covers and a rim on the rubber boots that seal the holes. The boots that come on the 2-V Mustang coils have a raised ring at the upper end of the boots that do about the same thing. The covers on the coils do about the same thing as the plastic cover on the engine. It looks nice but is of no functional use. Throw the coil covers away and the coils are left open to the air and will run cooler. Heat is not good for coils.
KenS from Ben's Place

Yeah... Im not a fan of ditching the covers... It just leaves things tooo exposed.

I believe the covers are the work of a design engineer showing how important his job is. If you look at pictures of 'hemi-style' engines, they have open spark plug holes in the valve covers and a rim on the rubber boots that seal the holes. The boots that come on the 2-V Mustang coils have a raised ring at the upper end of the boots that do about the same thing. The covers on the coils do about the same thing as the plastic cover on the engine. It looks nice but is of no functional use. Throw the coil covers away and the coils are left open to the air and will run cooler. Heat is not good for coils.
KenS from Ben's Place
My Double overhead cam S38 engine has the spark plugs sealed that way also, but I would love to find a COP that actually fits without so much bending and squeezing. and still use the covers.:)

My Double overhead cam S38 engine has the spark plugs sealed that way also, but I would love to find a COP that actually fits without so much bending and squeezing. and still use the covers.:)

I agree.

Members online

No members online now.
Back