ACCEL Ignition COP install

02V8Sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been running these 99-04 Mustang 4.6L 2V ACCEL COPS now for a few weeks and no problems what so ever. The car is more responsive over the stock coil and my gas mileage actually went up as well whcih is an added bonus. I figured it was worth a shot over factory COPS since these can be bought for around $200 for a set of 8 all over the internet.

Here are a few pics. I know my engine is dirty, now that it is warming up outside I can detail it for the summer ;)

COPY of DSCN1398.JPG

Copy of DSCN1399.JPG

Copy of DSCN1400.JPG

Are those fender washers on the COPs?

I've always liked the Accel product coloring, they stand out nicely.

Do they output a higher spark voltage than stock COPs? Did you have to change your spark plug heat range with the new coils? Did you change your plugs at coil install time?

Are those fender washers on the COPs?

I've always liked the Accel product coloring, they stand out nicely.

Do they output a higher spark voltage than stock COPs? Did you have to change your spark plug heat range with the new coils? Did you change your plugs at coil install time?

1. Yes those are fender washers and longer bolts holding the coils down into the spark plug holes. The Mustang COP doesnt match up to the stock LS holes so this is how they have to be held in place.

2. Yes these produce 15% more voltage over the stock coils.

3. No the plugs do not have to be changed.

4. I do have new plugs in the car but they are not required for these COPS.

will this only work on gen 2 v8's? I have a 2000 v8, and am wondering that when the time comes, if this is a better route for me to go.

will this only work on gen 2 v8's? I have a 2000 v8, and am wondering that when the time comes, if this is a better route for me to go.

GEN1 and 2 use the same coils from the factory, so they will work for both.

Any problems with water getting in?

none, but if you do get water in then the seal on the hood by the firewall needs to be replaced. There should be 0 water in the engine bay regardless of rainfall.

Wait. This is an LS? I thought that the V8 throttle body was in the rear. Somehow, I had thought this was on your mustang. Sorry! I didn't realize that the V8 upper intake looked like that at all. Is there some way that you could fab something out of those fender washers in order to be able to use your coil covers again by eliminating the unneeded washer material?

The reason that I asked about the plug change was that it could throw off your SOP perception of increased power due to higher spark voltage, as well as fuel economy calculations, if you changed the plugs at the same time as changing the coils. I know that on my first V6, changing the plugs and one bad COP at 102K miles resulted in a 1+ MPG increase in gas mileage. What was your observed mpg increase with these coils and new plugs?

Wait. This is an LS? I thought that the V8 throttle body was in the rear. Somehow, I had thought this was on your mustang. Sorry! I didn't realize that the V8 upper intake looked like that at all. Is there some way that you could fab something out of those fender washers in order to be able to use your coil covers again by eliminating the unneeded washer material?

The reason that I asked about the plug change was that it could throw off your SOP perception of increased power due to higher spark voltage, as well as fuel economy calculations, if you changed the plugs at the same time as changing the coils. I know that on my first V6, changing the plugs and one bad COP at 102K miles resulted in a 1+ MPG increase in gas mileage. What was your observed mpg increase with these coils and new plugs?

This is a 04 V8 LS, the engine is different than the 00-02 V8's. These are Mustang COPS on the LS motor.

Im sure something could be fabbed but I have always run with the coil covers off to let out the heat so they dont fail.

I changed my plugs 6 months ago so they are still considered new with the low mileage I put on per year. The coils alone are responsible for the increase as I had the old coils on the same plugs a few weeks back. I went up 1.5-2MPG in the city on these so far.

EMPIRE LS did this awhile back on his 2000, I thought the plugs were the same also. I was looking at the Summit brand as well as the Accel as I plan to do this in the next few weeks. Just got my plugs today in fact.

Question. Could you drill and tap a hole where the COP hole is? Would have to remove the cover and be sure to seal the threads of course.

The harness plugs are different on the 00 v8's.
Regardless of year, the Accel coils should fit. See post #87 on page 3 of 'Land Speed LS' in the HP section. The coils shown there are not Accel, but are installed the same way on a first gen engine. I'll be doing the Accel install soon, because mine are on the way.
KenS from Ben's Place

I was just about to ask is there only one way that these will fit into the valve cover? That looks much better than the washers. What are the things you used to hold them down with?

Got a part number for those cops?

COP part number are ACCEL 140032

I used a U clip to hold these in place. They hold the COPS perfectly.

Yes The Harness Plugs Are the Same Through All The Years....Here Is A Pic Of My 2000....So Yes It Can Be Done With Any Year Model

DSC00215.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back