About to have a f'n heartattack!!!!!!!!!!!!

ripped camel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to jack up the drivers side of the engine and it won't budge!!!!!!!!!!

I've tried jacking it up with wood across it and the tranny, with wood under the oil pan, with just the oil pan, with just the ds exhaust manifold. NOTHING IS MOVING THIS PIECE OF TRASH!!!!!!!!

I can get the whole front half of the ds valve cover off but the rear portion is for whatever reason not budging. I've managed to snap off the oil dipstick and probably broke other crap in the process.

I'm at the point where I'm about to snap this thing in half just to get it off!

Please give some guidance on this before I literally go insane!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What are you trying to do?

You can loosen the brake booster and pull it aside a bit to help remove the valve cover.

Since you didn't mention it, are we to assume that you've removed the driver's side motor mount through bolt?

.....it's just in front of the steering knuckle....

Driller...I'm trying to remove the ds valve cover to fix the leaking plug gaskets etc.

DLF... I have not removed the ds mount bolt. I don't even know where that is. When I did the ps valve cover a few months back I was able to jack that side of the engine up simply by putting a piece of wood across the exhaust manifold and oil pan. That worked like a charm.

For whatever reason the ds side won't budge no matter what I do. I've heard others mention brute force, well at the gym I can shrug 455lbs so I've got enough brute force, but apparently that isn't enough to budge this thing.

It's off enough where the whole front of the drivers side valve cover can completely clear the timing chain in the front. The problem is it's catching on something on the back. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Driller...I'm trying to remove the ds valve cover to fix the leaking plug gaskets etc.

DLF... I have not removed the ds mount bolt. I don't even know where that is. When I did the ps valve cover a few months back I was able to jack that side of the engine up simply by putting a piece of wood across the exhaust manifold and oil pan. That worked like a charm.

For whatever reason the ds side won't budge no matter what I do. I've heard others mention brute force, well at the gym I can shrug 455lbs so I've got enough brute force, but apparently that isn't enough to budge this thing.

It's off enough where the whole front of the drivers side valve cover can completely clear the timing chain in the front. The problem is it's catching on something on the back. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Well...

If you were able to move the pass side, that mount is probably shot! :eek:

Look up from the bottom, just behind the K-Member, and you'll see the through bolt in the mount. :cool:

Well...

If you were able to move the pass side, that mount is probably shot! :eek:

Look up from the bottom, just behind the K-Member, and you'll see the through bolt in the mount. :cool:

Yeah the mounts are definitely shot. That much I know. I have a set of solid rubber ones but I don't have the money to have someone do them. My oil pan gasket is leaking too which I planned to tackle with the motor mounts.

Regardless I can't get under the car enough to see the motor mount. I'll try to see again. When I put the jackstands under the car when it is jacked up they sink into the pavement a good 2"+ so I'm afraid to go under it after that. If only I had a flat reliable surface to jack the car up on!

you dont have to remove the brake booster, undo the two nuts on the master cylinder to the booster and lift the master cyl out of the way.......

If you decide to remove it, here's a pic of the through bolt in the driver's side mount.

HPIM1391.jpg

Regardless I can't get under the car enough to see the motor mount. I'll try to see again. When I put the jackstands under the car when it is jacked up they sink into the pavement a good 2"+ so I'm afraid to go under it after that. If only I had a flat reliable surface to jack the car up on!

What kind of pavement do you have that jack stands sink into? Take it all to a vacant parking lot since it's Sunday and have the tools you need in the trunk. At least you won't have to worry about anyone coming out and bothering you unless the owner of the lot spots you. Find one where you can park behind a building and not be seen. I got plenty of those around here in Madison. Make sure to let someone know where you are if you do that and have a cell phone under the car with you.

The knuckle is between the steering shaft and the rack ....I've got pics of both motor mount bolts in my rebuild thread

you dont have to remove the brake booster, undo the two nuts on the master cylinder to the booster and lift the master cyl out of the way.......

Just did that and it still isn't budging. That huge black hump that the brake booster is attached too is what is in the way.

I've pried so :q:q:q:qing hard that I snapped my alternator cover, broke the oil dipstick tube, and I think I broke other :q:q:q:q too. I'm literally about to try and snap it in half just to spite this mother:q:q:q:qing cover!

I have patience for intelligence, but this design was far from intelligent!

What kind of pavement do you have that jack stands sink into? Take it all to a vacant parking lot since it's Sunday and have the tools you need in the trunk. At least you won't have to worry about anyone coming out and bothering you unless the owner of the lot spots you. Find one where you can park behind a building and not be seen. I got plenty of those around here in Madison. Make sure to let someone know where you are if you do that and have a cell phone under the car with you.

Not really an option since the cover is detached and all of the spark plug covers have fallen into the engine. I now have no choice but to finish this here and now.

If you decide to remove it, here's a pic of the through bolt in the driver's side mount.

If I detach it will it be a pita to center again? Which one of the bolts in that pic is the through bolt the black one or the gold one?

I'm guessing he has black-top, the stands won't sink more than a couple inches, you can put ply wood as a base....or stick a concrete block under there as a safety.... LaserSVTs green car is sitting in the grass on 4 concrete blocks...I go under it just fine

Yeah, plywood squares would work but I would use at least 5/8" or thicker. When I done the transmission on the 94, I had it up on 4 jack stands. 4 ton in the rear and 6 ton in the front and 4 blocks, one under each tire. All on a solid concrete garage floor. I just don't like being under a car period.

I SWEAR TO MOTHER :q:q:q:qING GOD IF THIS :q:q:q:q DOESN'T COME OFF IN THE NEXT :q:q:q:qING HOUR I WILL BREAK THIS :q:q:q:qER ON PURPOSE BUY A NEW COVER AND THEN SELL THIS MOTHER:q:q:q:qING PIECE OF GOD DAMN BULL:q:q:q:q!! I WOULD HAVE HAD THE COVER ON MY MUSTANG OFF HOURS AGO! :q:q:q:q THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a break and call Jamie. He just lives 20 min from you. He would probably come help you out real quick unless he's doing his stereo install.

I tried. First call rang 8 times and went to vm so he probably wasn't by the phone. I called 30 minutes later and it kicks right to vm now so now the phone is turned off, maybe the battery died or he is out of the area.

Members online

Back