A Mark VII Saved and added to my stable....

LLFordMan

LVC Member
Reaction score
Its a 92 Deep Jewel Green LSC with a sunroof and theft system options. It was a pretty nice ride until my neighbors 16 year old son wrecked it. It was his dads car. He said he was going to part it out but I couldn't let that happen. I had driven it a few times and knew it was pretty darn tight for 171,XXX on the clock. Here are some pictures from before and after getting it back straight.
Before.
IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

Core support is untouched.
IMAG0028.jpg

After.
DSCN0957.jpg

DSCN0958.jpg

DSCN0959.jpg

DSCN0960.jpg

Still needs a few more tweaks to get all the seams equaled out around the hood before the re-paint.

What do you all think of the black wheels? I like it especially with the green.

What do you all think of the black wheels? I like it especially with the green.

Black wheels and dark green paint are a very good combination!

Progress of the car looks good, also.

Julian, I guess your christmas car is a hit :D I'm just glad we had access to the right pieces to get it back on the road and save it..:cool:

Thanks all! And a huge thanks to Donnie and Mike for the parts donations and a helping hand to get the twisted pieces removed and the new skins installed.

As far as performance goes, I am going to keep this one fairly stock.
There will be no poly bushings in the suspension save for the front/rear swaybar links. The computer will not be swapped out for mass air and the air ride will be retained as long as parts are available.
Upgrades that will be performed are things that will make the engine operate a little more efficiently. MAC shorty headers are already on the car along with full custom piping through 3 chamber Flow Masters. A 96 Explorer intake will be installed with the 65mm t-body. The timing has been set to 14. The airbox silencer is gone and the K&N filter is in place. The motor runs very very well for 171K (trying to find out if its been refreshed or not) and the AOD shifts nice and firm save for a bit of a lurch when coming out of O/D.

As far as the inside and electronics goes, the overhead display is dead and the DTE was reading 0 until I put in the tripminder from my 91' (I'll post more on that one later.) It now displays DTE correctly but I am not going to permanently install it until I know which capacitors are leaking and causing the tripminders to burn up internally.

Paint will probably happen in the next few months once the holidays have gone by.

The overhead display unit has been brought back from the dead. The burnt section of PC board was cut out, all three 100uf 35v capacitors replaced and the traces that were damaged have been hard wired back in. So far so good, it works like new and the compass seems to be accurate too.

I went through my "hybrid" trip computer and couldn't find any bad caps in it. The more I look into it it seems as though the older (87-89ish) trip computers are better built than the newer (90-92) units. There is a definite difference in the circuit boards between the years but does not seem to vary functionality wise. So....I installed my good trip computer which is a 91 housing with 88 circuit boards in it and again so far so good and no DTE=0 problem either.

Next up is rear brakes. The newer style calipers will go straight in the trash in favor of the older style that have larger pads and less failure due to seizing on the "float pins." There is also a clunk in the rear which I suspect is control arm bushings or it almost feels like the trans crossmember is a bit loose.

Back to work.....

LLFordMan - my HERO!!!!!! Great job - neighbor ask to buy it back yet!!!!! lol Congratulations!

MsM8

Wow.

First of all, the Lincoln Mark VII Comunity thanks you VERY much for saving this car! The damage was cosmetic from what I've seen. Original Deep Jewel Green LSCs are as rare as hen's teeth. We estimate out of the 5,439 total number of Mark VIIs assembled in 1992, only 10 to 20 percent were in this color and even LESS were LSCs.

You are possibly restoring a 'one of five hundred'.

No the neighbor hasn't asked to buy it back. He is on to another project for his son. A cheap 1995 Jeep Cherokee. Actually he now drives what was for a short time his sons truck, a beautiful 2001 CrewCab KingRanch F150. Since kid wrecked dads car, kids truck is now dads! :eek:

Very Carefully....

You will need a small flat tip and a number 2 phillips.

Read the following thoroughly before proceeding.

When looking up at the lenses of the map lights you will see a small slot in the surrounding black plastic that is in the vertical position nearest the on/off button. You can only see the slot if you are looking almost toward the rear of the car. Once you find it carefully place the flat tip through the slot and gently push in about a 1/16th of inch or just enough to release the clip that holds the entire lens assembly (lens and the black aluminum trim around it and the button.) Easy way to know when it releases is to pry down slightly on the assembly just behind the button while pushing in gently on the tab through the slot until it lets go.

Doing this any other way will almost always break the tab and the lenses won't stay up in place anymore.

After all that, use the same small flat tip to gently back out the multi pin connectors on each side. After that remove the four phillips screws. (I think they are right next to the lamp reflectors, two on either side.) Then pull down and forward on the rest of the unit. Be careful of the fabric in the corners as it will tear very easily.

Good Luck!

No the neighbor hasn't asked to buy it back. He is on to another project for his son. A cheap 1995 Jeep Cherokee. Actually he now drives what was for a short time his sons truck, a beautiful 2001 CrewCab KingRanch F150. Since kid wrecked dads car, kids truck is now dads! :eek:

good. thats the way it should be.

lol this is definitely a thread to bookmark, and worth a video of the procedure too!!!

Hey OldSchool! good to hear from you - see you at Carlisle!!

Debi

lol this is definitely a thread to bookmark, and worth a video of the procedure too!!!

Hey OldSchool! good to hear from you - see you at Carlisle!!

Debi

Hi Debi,
I think I did a tech article on those somewhere. Belonging to over 15 forums and four Clubs thins the memory.

Carlisle is a go.

I have trouble keeping up with LVC!!!! let alone 15!!! wow - looking forward to seeing ya again Hottie!

SMOOCHES!

LL - how are the brakes and the clunk in the rear coming along????

in the mean time...Im gonna get some LURKING lessons!!! lolol ;)

Guess I need to add an update to this one. Nothing too much new to report on the Green Machine. Paint is still a along way off as I am trying to save penny's to build a new steel building/work shop. The car runs and drives just great. I typically drive it back and forth to work which is a 110 mile round trip. The car feels kind of slow to me but that's because my seat-o-the-pants meter is biased by my rag top 5.0 Mustang I rebuilt last year.
I have replaced the door lock actuators and the dew wipes so at least the doors are working properly.
Next up, I have an Explorer intake and 65mm throttle body to free it up a bit but I am trying to locate a set of GT40 iron heads before I do the intake setup.

Members online

No members online now.
Back