'99 Lincoln Continental Refurbishment

Lincoln Continental

1. Lincoln05V8

Lincoln05V8 Active LVC Member

This is AWESOME! I will half to get one for my old black 05 LS and get one for my new 06 LS

• Like Like x 1
    • Svets96

Svets96 Dedicated LVC Member

Hi Carl, My light has been coming on now when I do apply the parking brake. Sometimes you can use contact cleaner or just replace the switch itself. It's not really to difficult position to change out. Keep updates coming.

• Svets96

Svets96 Dedicated LVC Member

It is very well worth it. You'll like it, especially if your keeping it nice and clean along with all the records!

• Like Like x 1
      • Carl Wurffel

Carl Wurffel New LVC Member

Thanks for the reply. I will keep you posted.

• Like Like x 1
        • jcgriff2

jcgriff2 LVC Member

I bought my 1999 Lincoln Continental new in the summer of 1999 and ordered it from the factory (vs. selecting one off of the lot) with EVERY available option (over $20,000 additional cost to MSRP, if memory serves me) except for the tire air pressure system option. I had a 1997 Continental before the 1999 and had nothing but problems with the tire pressure system on the 1997.

I ended up keeping the car (1999) for ~19 years (kept until ~June 1, 2018). The Continental had just 106,000 miles on it when I gave it to my 17 year old nephew. I bought a certified 2017 Cadillac XTS with very low miles.

I would warn late 1990s ('98 & '99 -??) and 2000s owners or those contemplating buying one to have the PCM (Power Control Module) checked out as I'm told that the 1995-1997 models had the PCM inside the vehicle and starting in 1998 --> end of Continental production in 2002 (??) the PCM was moved outside the car under the hood attached to the passenger's side firewall.

In ~2008, I got in the car one day and tried to start it, but it just cranked and cranked and would not turn over.

I took the car to STS/Mavis and they spent about 1.5 hours on it brushing and cleaning the PCM valve connections and got the car to start. It only lasted 1 week, then I had the PCM replaced for about $2,000.

As I said, I gave the car to my nephew in June 2018 and incredible and unfortunately the PCM valve went again just 2 years later.

This time, my Lincoln dealership informed me that they no longer carry the part because Ford did not make it any longer. They said that I could not get one from a junked Continental because the VIN is burned onto the part (like you would burn MP3s onto CDs, I guess.

They said my only option was to buy a 3rd party PCM valve part and hope that I could find a Lincoln (or Ford -??) dealer that would burn the information onto the new 3rd party part.

I found a new 3rd party PCM valve part (for nearly $3,000) and a Lincoln dealer that would do the burning for $500 - $800 (turned out to be $675) "no questions asked" (their words, not mine). What that was all about - no idea.

So, if you are buying a 1998 or beyond Continental, I would suggest that you pay a good, trusted mechanic to check out the PCM valve part out and hope for a clean bill of health.

Anyway, the car has been running just great. The only other item (besides oil changes) that the car needed was a new battery 2 months ago, which I paid for (I paid for both PCM valves as well, even though my nephew owned the car at the time of the 2nd PCM valve replacement. He is a college student with a 4.0 GPA and felt he should be rewarded for that. I learned from the Lincoln dealer that the existing battery was almost 5 years old, so no big surprise on the battery going bad.

• FlaOkie

FlaOkie Active LVC Member

Do a web search.
          There are many companies that can furnish you a replacement PCM for a couple of hundred dollars, completely programmed, with your car's VIN and what ever other info that is required.
          It's a plug and play swap, except you may have to get a locksmith to program the your keys into the PCM.

This is one example:
          Flagship One Inc | Pre-Programmed Engine Control Modules | PCM | ECM | ECU