99' Cobra Heads for my Mark?!?!

custom97'Mark

LVC Member
Reaction score
1999 Cobra Heads anyone know if these will bolt rite on, and if it makes that big of difference for my 1997 Mark?

99 and 01 Cobra heads use a different intake manifold and therefore "will NOT fit w/o modification". Meaning you would also need the intake and a whole bunch of other crap just to put those heads on. The $$ will add up very quickly.

are their any heads off the cobras that match rite up? Whats some suggestions on heads for higher torque and speed?

Some that arn't a million dollars. I'm getting the 4.10 posi installed, and only realy care about speed in the quarter mile, but also a cruiser and highway driver.

99 and 01 Cobra heads use a different intake manifold and therefore "will NOT fit w/o modification". Meaning you would also need the intake and a whole bunch of other crap just to put those heads on. The $$ will add up very quickly.

could you use the continental adapters for c heads with b intakes?

are their any heads off the cobras that match rite up? Whats some suggestions on heads for higher torque and speed?

Some that arn't a million dollars. I'm getting the 4.10 posi installed, and only realy care about speed in the quarter mile, but also a cruiser and highway driver.

96-98 mustang cobra heads will fit. and are the exact same head.

Supercharge it, gears and a tune. You should be set with more than enough torque.

96-98 heads are a direct bolt on I believe and then put the Cobra intake on, exhaust with X-pipe and a tune.

The Cobra heads from 96 - 98 are exactly the same as the 93 - 98 Mark heads with exception of the cams. The timing is different for more torque in the Mark and the Mark has a tad higher lift.

I'm really not all into these sort of mods but from what I have seen on here, if you want to get up and go, supercharge it, have gears installed and then have it properly tuned.

Use your existing B-heads and find a Cobra intake. You can get PLENTY of speed out of your current setup with bolt-ons, exhaust and an intake swap without breaking the bank. A supercharged setup is big money right off the bat. How much do you want to spend? The biggest power-robber with your car is that intake and the stock exhaust system. You could just do like me and go the naturally aspirated route, go plenty fast, and always add a a blower later. ;) I have plenty of videos on youtube if you search "MrHotrodlincoln". That will give you a pretty good idea of what these cars can do under their own power with holeshot mods. If you want to go with a blower setup you're going to want all of those mods in place first anyways, so might as well do the bolt-ons first.:)

Just my two cents worth. If you have the dough, go all nine yards and prepare to unleash the fury. With just bolt-ons my car is on a whole new level. With a blower it would be downright nasty. Vortech centrifugal style blowers work well on these cars if you want to go all out.

The Cobra heads from 96 - 98 are exactly the same as the 93 - 98 Mark heads with exception of the cams. The timing is different for more torque in the Mark and the Mark has a tad higher lift.

Not all B-heads are created equal. Don't forget about the beehive valvesprings in the later B-heads as well.

What kind of budget are you working with, OP? And what E.T. goal do you have in mind?

Another B-head supercharger option is KenneBell. They offer a non-IC 2.1L twin-screw. Not having an intercooled option is a con, but methanol injection does a sufficient job of keeping the ACT's down for me at 10 psi.

P1110830.jpg

I like the looks of that setup and also like seeing someone that knows how to make a cold air box. Conical air filters are useless when the correct box ain't there for it. Yours looks damn good. Any pics of the hood? Cut outs?

Thanks. There is more to that airbox than you can see from the outside. The filter is sealed off using large foam-rubber weatherstrip type material.

The hood is all sheetmetal. The scoop was necessary to clear the SC and intake tube.

DSC_85911.jpg

top.jpg

underside-2.jpg

interior10-10.jpg

We'll hopefully find out next weekend, provided that I can get the bugs worked out of the tune. Best to date was a 12.48@110.35 MPH back in 2010, but the car had a number of issues at the time. The car has picked up 71 rwhp and a whole lot of chassis work since then.

Not a bad time at all, especially if you were having issues. Let us know how it goes this weekend. Just because you have a cougar doesn't mean you can't come chat with us. There are a lot of people on here that like doing engine mods and have the "Need For Speed".

I never really have gotten into it other than doing a simple j-mod on the trans and or swapping out for the 98 trans and j-modding that one and the computer swap. I'm more into the interior and stereo part but at the same time, I like seeing all the setups people have.

Last time I done anything with an engine was when I swapped out four fuel injectors and I wished I had never messed with them. It was my stupidity for not checking for leaks but I had left one of the o-rings off of one injector and blew the whole front end of the car off, inside the garage. If anyone had been inside the garage or if I would have had my windows down while the car was running, I would have been burnt badly, if not killed. Anyone in front of the car would have died. I thought I had them in right and I was in a hurry. Shut the hood, cranked it up and it was shuddering real bad and I gassed it a few times, thinking that I needed pressure at the rail for it to run right but during the time it was running, gas was pouring all over my intake and down the sides of the motor and onto the floor and then as I went to shut it off, something electrical ignites the gas and I thought I was dead. I only ended up with a cut on my leg from diving out onto the driveway and landing in glass. I got a few pics for you. Keep in mind, I was finally done with the car. I had just put in a 98 trans that I j-modded and only had 68K on it. Just painted most of the car and was almost completely done with an LSC conversion. This was a 94 black on black.

Before any LSC conversion

ChristmasDay015.jpg

After but still not complete and dirty in these pics.

OutsideShots008-2.jpg

OutsideShots009.jpg

OutsideShots003.jpg

Was about to do some painting

BumperCover002.jpg

BumperCover007.jpg

BumperCover006.jpg

RearBumperCoverPaint005.jpg

RearBumperCoverPaint010.jpg

and I painted the top too all around the moon roof and then I ended up with this one night at around 11:30 all because I didn't check for a leak. Liability insurance only so the whole car was a loss and thousands of dollars worth of tools in the garage were also a loss. welder, saws, the list goes on and on with the garage loss.

Fire001.jpg

Fire002.jpg

Fire004.jpg

Fire005.jpg

Fire011.jpg

Fire016.jpg

Fire007.jpg

All in 3 minutes, this is what I ended up with. That night sucked. So... engine mods just aren't on the top of my list. All I would do is end up with a ticket around where I live and I know me. I would never be fast enough and I would keep adding and adding. btw, I rent the house and did not have renters insurance either. Everything was a complete loss all because of one 10 cent o-ring that I was missing and didn't know it. I bought another one within a week or two and still doing little things to this one but I have already put all new lenses and grille on the front to get a newer look and I was able to save the interior from the 94 to put into the 95 for the two tone look. It just needed to be wiped off and cleaned a little. I now have renters insurance and a new garage with 90% less clutter and it even has carpet laid down in it. The 95 never see's rain unless I am caught out in it which is extremely rare.

DaytimeTintPics007.jpg

MarkInGarage018.jpg

DSC02725.jpg

Photo0376.jpg

Anyway, that's all the modding I do. I do change oil and plugs and things like that. Just no performance mods. After that explosion I went through, I was very lucky and even more so that my 9 year old son wasn't out in the garage with me. He would usually come check and see what I was doing but luckily he didn't that night.

:eek: Wow. Glad you're alright.

Got lucky and not the first burn on me at all. Just one cut on the right leg and that's it. I keep a fire extinguisher inside the car with me now, just in case but not even that would have helped that night. It over powered me and the heat was just too much inside. I went back in with one but it didn't phase that fire. The fire dept. was called by the lady across the street and they were here within 3 min and soaking the whole car down and everything in the garage. If the fire didn't ruin everything, they did with all that water. They then pushed it out in the driveway just in case it decided to ignite again. It snowed that night for the first time in years. People from 10 houses away heard the explosion and came walking down the road to see if everything was ok. After you have been inside a car that has done this, you would never have a full understanding of what it feels like. Me and injectors just don't speak anymore lol.

Got lucky and not the first burn on me at all. Just one cut on the right leg and that's it. I keep a fire extinguisher inside the car with me now, just in case but not even that would have helped that night. It over powered me and the heat was just too much inside. I went back in with one but it didn't phase that fire. The fire dept. was called by the lady across the street and they were here within 3 min and soaking the whole car down and everything in the garage. If the fire didn't ruin everything, they did with all that water. They then pushed it out in the driveway just in case it decided to ignite again. It snowed that night for the first time in years. People from 10 houses away heard the explosion and came walking down the road to see if everything was ok. After you have been inside a car that has done this, you would never have a full understanding of what it feels like. Me and injectors just don't speak anymore lol.
I feel your pain......
d5467689.jpg

7586b563.jpg

img_0909.jpg

d9a77b7c.jpg

NoLimit, you got REAL lucky man! Good thing you live in an area where response time from the fire department is short, otherwise you would have lost your whole house..or your land lords house..which would be no bueno.

Not to sidetrack the thread or anything but racecougar you have a very sharp looking Cougar! Amazing craftsmanship on your car. Definitely a showstopper. :cool: No more 12s for you once you hit the track again. ;)

GMAN, I didn't need to see those pictures. That's hard to look at. :(

Members online

No members online now.
Back